R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,122
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

They are both fun and some prefer ep over nitro.
If I had to pick one over the other it would be nitro, hands down. I do race ep during the winter but as soon as I can get outdoors with my sedan, thats my choice
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #17
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,122
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

They are both fun and some prefer ep over nitro.
If I had to pick one over the other it would be nitro, hands down. I do race ep during the winter but as soon as I can get outdoors with my sedan, thats my choice
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #18
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 169
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

If you ask me, I'd have to say no. I'm by no mean a track racer of any sort but do love speed and have attended and competed at the ISC events. I love the fact that you can jut run nitro as long as needed without stoping before the tank dies. I even challenged myself and made a video and ran my nitro car 4 consecutive passes at 100mph and over each. At the end of the 4th pass, I still had enough fuel but chose not to make a 5th. I've yet to see this done with an electric.
__________________
100mph is easy (with batteries)
117mph nitro HPI Racer2
115mph gas FG
107mph twin nitro buggy
99.61mph nitro buggy (at ROSSA official event)
Gt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #19
Tech Regular
 
djiewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 440
Default

Main differance with electric is that nitro finals last longer wich is resembling the real thing scale wise. Ever see a 1/1 race last 8 minutes.? Takes skills to last the whole 30/45 minutes racing on the throttle. Concentrating and being consistant without mistakes yhr whole time will get you on the rostrum. And also the pitman influencing the result pitting every 5minutes makes it resembling the real thing. Otherwise the engine with these days loud noise can be too much. It will get better now with the latest EFRA rules though. Starting 8 scale nitro this year from 8 years 10 scale nitro. Mini-z in the wintertime only (but lots of fun though)

Last edited by djiewie; 01-01-2014 at 03:45 PM.
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #20
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,417
Default

Since 1/8 scale onroad is sooooooooo expensive maybe someone will create a new nitro class. Maybe the manufactors will look at the work GT100 and Brent Davis have done. These 2 young men have put .18 -.21 size engines in their 1/10 scale cars and set all kinds of speed records. Their work motivated me to put a modified OS .18 in my V1RRR putting a modified .18 in my V1RRR was alot cheaper than putting in a .12 OS race engine and it was faster too because the motor is just a tiny bit heavier than a .12 it did not mess up the balance of the car so it still handle and was Super Fast!! The .18 was a drop in.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #21
Tech Regular
 
djiewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
Since 1/8 scale onroad is sooooooooo expensive maybe someone will create a new nitro class. Maybe the manufactors will look at the work GT100 and Brent Davis have done. These 2 young men have put .18 -.21 size engines in their 1/10 scale cars and set all kinds of speed records. Their work motivated me to put a modified OS .18 in my V1RRR putting a modified .18 in my V1RRR was alot cheaper than putting in a .12 OS race engine and it was faster too because the motor is just a tiny bit heavier than a .12 it did not mess up the balance of the car so it still handle and was Super Fast!! The .18 was a drop in.
Cool idea , could be a winner. Hope it takes of.
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #22
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,417
Default

Djiewie here is a picture of my pocket rocket!!
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #23
Tech Regular
 
djiewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
Djiewie here is a picture of my pocket rocket!!

are those rear tires the 220mm class tires?
I think this class would get more 10 scalers racing.

i`ll be watching the scene

have some pictures how the engine fits?
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #24
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,417
Default

Yes the tires on the rear are the 220 mm class.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #25
Tech Master
 
Taylorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monclova, Ohio
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
Since 1/8 scale onroad is sooooooooo expensive maybe someone will create a new nitro class. Maybe the manufactors will look at the work GT100 and Brent Davis have done. These 2 young men have put .18 -.21 size engines in their 1/10 scale cars and set all kinds of speed records. Their work motivated me to put a modified OS .18 in my V1RRR putting a modified .18 in my V1RRR was alot cheaper than putting in a .12 OS race engine and it was faster too because the motor is just a tiny bit heavier than a .12 it did not mess up the balance of the car so it still handle and was Super Fast!! The .18 was a drop in.
A new class was created... 1/8 GT...but guys lately were putting 4WD open motors in them....which will lead to its demise...
Just like happened to the 235 class..

...a new one was not created but resurrected....here in Toledo we are running 1/8 pan cars..just like the olden days....we are running cheaper (up to 5 port) motors...tires last way longer than full on 4wd cars...and they sip fuel...

Nitro does not need ANY new classes...that's the problem with electric...TOO MANY classes..It just dilutes the competition...guys switch classes in electric because they get their butts handed to them.....Everyone wants to be a winner.....
__________________
Current stable... Team Associated SC8, Team Associated RC250 X 3
Tamiya F104X1...Tamiya F104W GP Edition...BMT/RC300 Frankenstein.....Edam Razor2
Checkers or Wreckers......................................................................................
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #26
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,417
Default

Taylorm I think a 4wd open motor would be too expensive you can get a OS .18 TZ for $150-180. And thats more than enough motor to make your 1/10 car a missile. Classes come and go only the strong classes survive.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #27
Tech Addict
 
bassman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UT/TX/IN/PA
Posts: 718
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
A new class was created... 1/8 GT...but guys lately were putting 4WD open motors in them....which will lead to its demise...
Just like happened to the 235 class..

...a new one was not created but resurrected....here in Toledo we are running 1/8 pan cars..just like the olden days....we are running cheaper (up to 5 port) motors...tires last way longer than full on 4wd cars...and they sip fuel...

Nitro does not need ANY new classes...that's the problem with electric...TOO MANY classes..It just dilutes the competition...guys switch classes in electric because they get their butts handed to them.....Everyone wants to be a winner.....
Regarding 1/8 GT (GT8) class, ROAR has now established official rules for this class now. Regarding engines, only 5 ports max with 7mm restrictors are allowed for this class.

ROAR IC GT8 Rules update

Thursday, November 28th, 2013 ROAR IC GT8 Rules update

1. Engine: SEE 9.3 of ROAR~ any .21 size 5 port engine or ready to run kit with a factory .25 or .28 (must keep pull start on .25 and .28 if ready to run came with it.) For level 3 and below events only. Level 4 and above events any .21 5 port motor only 1. Max carb bore 7mm 2. Pipes: ROAR guidelines. 1. Rubber extensions to stinger OK 2. No internal moving parts”. 3. Chassis: Any 1/8 scale buggy or Truggy based shaft driven nitro powered vehicle. (Any off-road conversion is OK) with front kick up. 1. Chassis with Kick up cannot be altered to change original manufacturers design. 2. Stock and factory optional chassis are permitted, but it must retain all the characteristics of the standard off-road chassis on which it’s based. Chassis must be identical to their off-road counterparts in all dimensions except where it’s necessary to convert the chassis for on-road use. Carbon fiber chassis are not permitted. 3. For 2014 season only Ofna and Team C racing flat chassis are allowed. Starting in 2015 All chassis must have front kick up flat chassis will no longer be allowed. 4. Body: Any commercially available factory licensed replicas of ALMS, GT1 or GT2, Super GT, DTM, and V8 Supercar Cars. Licensed Bodies required for ROAR Competition starting 1/1/2015. For 2014 any commercially available body that resembles a GT body. Body must be a 2 seater with 2 doors. 1. Sports Cars: Closed wheel cars designed specifically for racing in full-size series. Engine Head may not protrude above body.

A) Wings and spoilers can be used if they are the original with the body and cut on the factory lines. B) All wheel wells must be cut out and rear of the bodies should maintain tail lamps and cannot be completely cut out. Wings must be attached to the body. C) No wedge style Bodies D) All body approvals will be subject to scrutiny of the respective or collective advisory committees regarding compliance to the “spirit of the rules.” An objective evaluation shall determine the status of each submission based on the adherence to the said rule E) • Bodies must be factory licensed replicas of the aforementioned street or race cars, but no “race-only” bodies are permitted. Bodies based on Daytona Prototypes, or the odd Super GT cars that are not representative of a commonly available street car, are not permitted. F) Bodies must include full front and rear fascia’s, and conform to the rules herein that limit openings in the body for the purposes of re-fueling, starting, engine tuning, and antenna holes G) Bodies must be fully detailed in order to compete in ROAR competition. The body must have visible window, body panel and trim markings, and the windows must be mostly clear. Some intrusion for creative painting purposes and tinting is permitted, but the windows must be transparent. Bodies must have headlight and grill detail. Transmission: • Transmission: Single speed or two-speed only. Single speed configurations must include a solidly mounted spur gear to a standard bevel gear center differential or a solid spool (no one-way bearing). No other differential types will be permitted. • Two-speed transmissions must use an automatic centrifugal shifting mechanism that is not remotely adjustable or programmable. Because of the nature of the two-speed transmission design, no center differential is required, but the transmission must include a solid center shaft that doesn’t allow differential action between the front and rear drive assemblies. Clutch: Only buggy based 2, 3, or 4 shoes systems No radial type clutches (Centex)

DRIVETRAIN • A shaft-drive system with two gear-type open differentials are required. • No one-ways, spools, locking “Torsion-type,” or externally adjustable differentials are permitted. The gear diffs can be tuned only with the use of silicone-based fluid. • Identical F/R drive ratios are required – no F/R under drive/overdrive permitted. • A single speed mounted to a center spool, or an included two-speed transmission are permitted. • The drivetrain shall be a center shaft system with ring and pinion gears driving the differentials. • Shaft-drive only – belt driven cars are not permitted. The drive system must maintain the same features as used in the original off-road configuration except where noted, including the center differential/two speed transmission with separate front and rear center drive shaft’s. • Only standard mechanical brakes are permitted – hydraulics are not permitted. Up to two brake discs are permitted anywhere on the center driveshaft’s. Brakes may not be located on the outboard axles. Fuel Tank: Up to 150cc max fuel capacity Wheels: • Wheels must use a 17mm hex hub consistent with the dimensions and function of the hubs used in 1/8 off-road racing. The wheel must be affixed by a 17mm wheel nut, threaded on to the hex hub. Quick change mechanisms are not permitted. • Dish wheels are not permitted. No more than 30-percent of the face of the wheel may be solid. The wheel “face” will be defined as all areas of the wheel between the mounting bead and the center mounting hole. Tires: Rubber Tires only – (maximum width: 47mm) Traction compound: OK • Tires must be “production” tires – hand cut tires or those not available to the general public are not permitted. “Available” is defined as having been sold to consumers a minimum of 30 days prior to the official start of the event. Tires must be molded rubber – no foam tires are permitted in any class. • Spec tires chosen by ROAR will be mandatory at all level 4 and level 5 events. Input from the host facility regarding favored compounds for track conditions will be considered, but the final decision on spec tires will remain with ROAR. The best interests of the racers will be the overriding criteria in choosing a proper spec tire. Financial, sponsorship, and/or business relationships of the host facility cannot be considered. • All races must be completed on the same tires used to start each race (qualifying and finals). Tire changes are not permitted except when a wheel and/or tire are determined by the race director or a ROAR official, to be damaged. Excessive tire wear does not constitute damage

Weight: Minimum dry weight of 3500 grams (with body and all four tires on the) vehicle)

Car Dimensions:

Item Limit Specification Length (B) Maximum TBD Width Maximum 310 mm Height (measured with suspension fully compressed Maximum 250 mm Wheelbase (a) Maximum 379 mm Minimum 270 mm Weight Minimum 3500 grams Wheels Mounting Bead Diameter Maximum 79.00 mm / 83.50 mm Overall Diameter Maximum 88.50 mm Width Maximum 44.45 mm Tires Diameter Maximum 119.22 mm Maximum 109.22 mm Width Maximum 46.99 mm Rear Wing Side dam Length Maximum TBD
__________________
Andy Liu "Flyin' Hawaiian"
2015 teams/sponsors:
Serpentamerica/Desoto Racing, Murnan Modified Motors, VP powermaster Fuel, Sweep Racing USA, Speed Passion, BUKU performance products
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #28
Tech Master
 
Taylorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monclova, Ohio
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman2 View Post
Regarding 1/8 GT (GT8) class, ROAR has now established official rules for this class now. Regarding engines, only 5 ports max with 7mm restrictors are allowed for this class.

ROAR IC GT8 Rules update

Thursday, November 28th, 2013 ROAR IC GT8 Rules update

1. Engine: SEE 9.3 of ROAR~ any .21 size 5 port engine or ready to run kit with a factory .25 or .28 (must keep pull start on .25 and .28 if ready to run came with it.) For level 3 and below events only. Level 4 and above events any .21 5 port motor only 1. Max carb bore 7mm 2. Pipes: ROAR guidelines. 1. Rubber extensions to stinger OK 2. No internal moving parts”. 3. Chassis: Any 1/8 scale buggy or Truggy based shaft driven nitro powered vehicle. (Any off-road conversion is OK) with front kick up. 1. Chassis with Kick up cannot be altered to change original manufacturers design. 2. Stock and factory optional chassis are permitted, but it must retain all the characteristics of the standard off-road chassis on which it’s based. Chassis must be identical to their off-road counterparts in all dimensions except where it’s necessary to convert the chassis for on-road use. Carbon fiber chassis are not permitted. 3. For 2014 season only Ofna and Team C racing flat chassis are allowed. Starting in 2015 All chassis must have front kick up flat chassis will no longer be allowed. 4. Body: Any commercially available factory licensed replicas of ALMS, GT1 or GT2, Super GT, DTM, and V8 Supercar Cars. Licensed Bodies required for ROAR Competition starting 1/1/2015. For 2014 any commercially available body that resembles a GT body. Body must be a 2 seater with 2 doors. 1. Sports Cars: Closed wheel cars designed specifically for racing in full-size series. Engine Head may not protrude above body.

A) Wings and spoilers can be used if they are the original with the body and cut on the factory lines. B) All wheel wells must be cut out and rear of the bodies should maintain tail lamps and cannot be completely cut out. Wings must be attached to the body. C) No wedge style Bodies D) All body approvals will be subject to scrutiny of the respective or collective advisory committees regarding compliance to the “spirit of the rules.” An objective evaluation shall determine the status of each submission based on the adherence to the said rule E) • Bodies must be factory licensed replicas of the aforementioned street or race cars, but no “race-only” bodies are permitted. Bodies based on Daytona Prototypes, or the odd Super GT cars that are not representative of a commonly available street car, are not permitted. F) Bodies must include full front and rear fascia’s, and conform to the rules herein that limit openings in the body for the purposes of re-fueling, starting, engine tuning, and antenna holes G) Bodies must be fully detailed in order to compete in ROAR competition. The body must have visible window, body panel and trim markings, and the windows must be mostly clear. Some intrusion for creative painting purposes and tinting is permitted, but the windows must be transparent. Bodies must have headlight and grill detail. Transmission: • Transmission: Single speed or two-speed only. Single speed configurations must include a solidly mounted spur gear to a standard bevel gear center differential or a solid spool (no one-way bearing). No other differential types will be permitted. • Two-speed transmissions must use an automatic centrifugal shifting mechanism that is not remotely adjustable or programmable. Because of the nature of the two-speed transmission design, no center differential is required, but the transmission must include a solid center shaft that doesn’t allow differential action between the front and rear drive assemblies. Clutch: Only buggy based 2, 3, or 4 shoes systems No radial type clutches (Centex)

DRIVETRAIN • A shaft-drive system with two gear-type open differentials are required. • No one-ways, spools, locking “Torsion-type,” or externally adjustable differentials are permitted. The gear diffs can be tuned only with the use of silicone-based fluid. • Identical F/R drive ratios are required – no F/R under drive/overdrive permitted. • A single speed mounted to a center spool, or an included two-speed transmission are permitted. • The drivetrain shall be a center shaft system with ring and pinion gears driving the differentials. • Shaft-drive only – belt driven cars are not permitted. The drive system must maintain the same features as used in the original off-road configuration except where noted, including the center differential/two speed transmission with separate front and rear center drive shaft’s. • Only standard mechanical brakes are permitted – hydraulics are not permitted. Up to two brake discs are permitted anywhere on the center driveshaft’s. Brakes may not be located on the outboard axles. Fuel Tank: Up to 150cc max fuel capacity Wheels: • Wheels must use a 17mm hex hub consistent with the dimensions and function of the hubs used in 1/8 off-road racing. The wheel must be affixed by a 17mm wheel nut, threaded on to the hex hub. Quick change mechanisms are not permitted. • Dish wheels are not permitted. No more than 30-percent of the face of the wheel may be solid. The wheel “face” will be defined as all areas of the wheel between the mounting bead and the center mounting hole. Tires: Rubber Tires only – (maximum width: 47mm) Traction compound: OK • Tires must be “production” tires – hand cut tires or those not available to the general public are not permitted. “Available” is defined as having been sold to consumers a minimum of 30 days prior to the official start of the event. Tires must be molded rubber – no foam tires are permitted in any class. • Spec tires chosen by ROAR will be mandatory at all level 4 and level 5 events. Input from the host facility regarding favored compounds for track conditions will be considered, but the final decision on spec tires will remain with ROAR. The best interests of the racers will be the overriding criteria in choosing a proper spec tire. Financial, sponsorship, and/or business relationships of the host facility cannot be considered. • All races must be completed on the same tires used to start each race (qualifying and finals). Tire changes are not permitted except when a wheel and/or tire are determined by the race director or a ROAR official, to be damaged. Excessive tire wear does not constitute damage

Weight: Minimum dry weight of 3500 grams (with body and all four tires on the) vehicle)

Car Dimensions:

Item Limit Specification Length (B) Maximum TBD Width Maximum 310 mm Height (measured with suspension fully compressed Maximum 250 mm Wheelbase (a) Maximum 379 mm Minimum 270 mm Weight Minimum 3500 grams Wheels Mounting Bead Diameter Maximum 79.00 mm / 83.50 mm Overall Diameter Maximum 88.50 mm Width Maximum 44.45 mm Tires Diameter Maximum 119.22 mm Maximum 109.22 mm Width Maximum 46.99 mm Rear Wing Side dam Length Maximum TBD
Andy...do the rules say anything about modding the ports??.....So a tuner like Murnan takes a 400.00 5 port motor and does 150.00 worth of work....(or whatever he charges..IDK... I run stock 4wd open motors)...now you are into 1/8 open territory again?.....In years past (before I raced)...guys LOVED the 235 nitro class....It started (I believe) as 2WD with 3 port motors...then came the open motors and 4WD..poof..there goes the class....(same with sedans...400.00+ for a .12 motor??...that's insane...At that point you are into 1/8 open money again.......

I get it....racers always want to go faster...but there is already a class for that 1/8 open......



No wonder we cant get new blood to the track...A new "cheap" class is started...then 2 years later its a fulll blow money class......

and now roar banning chassis because of no kickup?...amazing.....wonder who paid roar?
__________________
Current stable... Team Associated SC8, Team Associated RC250 X 3
Tamiya F104X1...Tamiya F104W GP Edition...BMT/RC300 Frankenstein.....Edam Razor2
Checkers or Wreckers......................................................................................
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #29
Tech Master
 
azeroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Da Burbs
Posts: 1,069
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
Andy...do the rules say anything about modding the ports??.....So a tuner like Murnan takes a 400.00 5 port motor and does 150.00 worth of work....(or whatever he charges..IDK... I run stock 4wd open motors)...now you are into 1/8 open territory again?.....In years past (before I raced)...guys LOVED the 235 nitro class....It started (I believe) as 2WD with 3 port motors...then came the open motors and 4WD..poof..there goes the class....(same with sedans...400.00+ for a .12 motor??...that's insane...At that point you are into 1/8 open money again.......

I get it....racers always want to go faster...but there is already a class for that 1/8 open......



No wonder we cant get new blood to the track...A new "cheap" class is started...then 2 years later its a fulll blow money class......

and now roar banning chassis because of no kickup?...amazing.....wonder who paid roar?
No Kidding GT was to be the VTA of nitro
__________________
Nitro is for Racing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YA SMELL WATTs I BE STEPPIN IN????

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #30
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 6,271
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
Andy...do the rules say anything about modding the ports??.....So a tuner like Murnan takes a 400.00 5 port motor and does 150.00 worth of work....(or whatever he charges..IDK... I run stock 4wd open motors)...now you are into 1/8 open territory again?.....In years past (before I raced)...guys LOVED the 235 nitro class....It started (I believe) as 2WD with 3 port motors...then came the open motors and 4WD..poof..there goes the class....(same with sedans...400.00+ for a .12 motor??...that's insane...At that point you are into 1/8 open money again.......
As I have stated in this topic:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...gine-spec.html

A 5-port rule is not going to keep the costs and the performance down. Even when talking about no visable modding you can boost the performance using parts from other engines or use special on higher specs made factory produced motors.

If you want to use a certain model engine for a spec class you must be sure the whole production is the same and I can say from own experience it is for sure not!

Setting a rule is one thing, having control over it is another....
__________________
The quality of an answer comes with the quality of the question.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:58 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net