R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Steering Servo (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/78115-steering-servo.html)

MikeyG 07-16-2005 10:01 AM

Steering Servo

What steering servos are you guys using/recommend in your 1/10 nitro touring car? I run in the stock class and don't consider myself super competitive rather just out there having fun. I am looking for an upgrade from a JR z590. Should I go digital? Should I go faster? Is high torque a need?
Thanks!

MikeyG 07-16-2005 02:12 PM

hello?

anyone?

AndyT © 07-16-2005 05:50 PM

I`d recommend going for something metal geared....for the added durability.
I`m running Futaba S9451`s on both steering and throttle and am impressed with them.
If you decide to go with a fast response system (like the Futaba HRS) you`ll need digital servos for this to work....so already digital servo opens up this possibility should you ever decide to go this way.
Cheers

fordman500 07-16-2005 06:29 PM

Im using the Airtronics 357.Great servo for the price(99.00).

kidDynomite 07-16-2005 06:35 PM

Ditto for me on most of my cars. Futaba S9451 for both T & S.

ntc3freak 07-16-2005 07:17 PM

futaba's,sanwa's,ko propo's servos are the best.if u want futaba,i reccomend s9451,sanwa/airtronics erg-vrx,ko propo 2363.hope this helps :D

jscustoms 08-03-2005 11:39 AM

Hi All.

I found this thread with the Search feature, and have an additional question with this topic.

I have a Nitro TC3+ RTR with the .15 engine, some upgraded springs, and otherwise stock chassis. I actually find the performance of this car to be amazing - I was outrunning .12 Race Engines at the track all day long (at the expense of frequent fuel stops, but not during the 5-minute heats.)

Anyways, in the twisties I get left behind, and I think it's just because the car doesn't steer quick enough - it handles real nice, doesn't push or pull, but just seems sluggish in response.

What is required to upgrade my stock radio, electronics, and servos to a faster-steering servo, and what would be a good part to go with that would require the minimal amount of additional upgrades. Buying a new radio is out of the question - I just relocated and have housing costs to deal with (housing costs more important than nitro racing? Say it can't be so...) So if I have to upgrade the radio to convert to a digital unit, then that's a no-go.

If I understand things correctly, I don't have to replace the radio and crystals, correct? I just get a new servo, install it into the chassis and reconnect the linkages and wires. So if I can't go digital, what's a good analog upgrade?

Thanks.

Jeff S.

aaalp 08-03-2005 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyG
What steering servos are you guys using/recommend in your 1/10 nitro touring car? I run in the stock class and don't consider myself super competitive rather just out there having fun. I am looking for an upgrade from a JR z590. Should I go digital? Should I go faster? Is high torque a need?
Thanks!

I am running the Futaba S9350 and S9451 (which one is servo, which one is throttle I forgot) on FUTABA HRS (High Response System). Super quick response time and very fast.
Get metal geared and high torque servos. High torque is especially recommended for throttle and brake servo for improved brake performance.

AndyT © 08-03-2005 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by jscustoms
Anyways, in the twisties I get left behind, and I think it's just because the car doesn't steer quick enough - it handles real nice, doesn't push or pull, but just seems sluggish in response.

What is required to upgrade my stock radio, electronics, and servos to a faster-steering servo, and what would be a good part to go with that would require the minimal amount of additional upgrades. Buying a new radio is out of the question - I just relocated and have housing costs to deal with (housing costs more important than nitro racing? Say it can't be so...) So if I have to upgrade the radio to convert to a digital unit, then that's a no-go.

If I understand things correctly, I don't have to replace the radio and crystals, correct? I just get a new servo, install it into the chassis and reconnect the linkages and wires. So if I can't go digital, what's a good analog upgrade?

Thanks.

Jeff S.

If your radio allows for it, trying adding some more steering exponential, this may help with speed thru the "twisties" as you wont have to turn the radio wheel as far to get the same amount of steering travel.
Cheers

Artificial-I 08-03-2005 09:35 PM

Futaba 9451 is a great servo. When you want to save some weight , get the 9550. Its the low-pro model with about the same specs.

I dont want to bash on hitec but I tried the 625mg I believe. It was slower than my .22 second s3003. Not sure why but it also would give an odd rebound glitch every once in awhile when turning left.

I checked the servo out of the car beforehand to make sure it was quick...and I was pretty blown away at how it was actually slower and totally unresponsive. I could basically throw the wheel full left and right before it even tried to respond.

With my crappy 3003 , it was able to do everything fine and was ultra responsive in comparison it could at least try to turn when I would throw the wheel real fast back and forth. I have the 3pjs and futaba RX but not sure why it did that.

I immediatly returned it and went right back to another 9451. I figured why the heck did I try to save 20 bucks anyway.

ATXPro4 08-04-2005 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by jscustoms
Hi All.

I found this thread with the Search feature, and have an additional question with this topic.

I have a Nitro TC3+ RTR with the .15 engine, some upgraded springs, and otherwise stock chassis. I actually find the performance of this car to be amazing - I was outrunning .12 Race Engines at the track all day long (at the expense of frequent fuel stops, but not during the 5-minute heats.)

Thanks.

Jeff S.

U dont need to upgrade your radio, just go and get a new servo, the radio u have will work just fine with digital or analog servos, digital servos are ginerally gonig to be faster and more precise, but they are more expencive, just about any digital servo will be faster and much better than what comes with the TC3 rtr. Futaba 9451 is a great servo and u can find them for about 75.00, but for about 50.00 u can get one of the lower end hitec digital servos, they arent the best out there but will be much better than what is in your car now.

Solara 08-04-2005 12:07 PM

S9550 on NTC3....fast, strong, cheap, good, light weigh.........what else can you get?

jag 08-06-2005 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by kidDynomite
Ditto for me on most of my cars. Futaba S9451 for both T & S.

Me too.