R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 983
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default 1/8 GT 1st car

Hi guys looking to try nitro 1/8 GT class a try. I am an electric offroad guy so I am new at this. I do not want to get the most expensive car out there to start and wanted to know what do you guys recommend to start. I was looking at the Ofnas or kyosho RTRs but I am also open to suggestions. I run a RC8E and was wondering if I can convert one?
lnc0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 636
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnc0321 View Post
Hi guys looking to try nitro 1/8 GT class a try. I am an electric offroad guy so I am new at this. I do not want to get the most expensive car out there to start and wanted to know what do you guys recommend to start. I was looking at the Ofnas or kyosho RTRs but I am also open to suggestions. I run a RC8E and was wondering if I can convert one?
Converting an E single speed buggy to 2 speed nitro will cost to much. Save up this winter and buy a serpent come the spring. 0* front knuckles 10* plastic hubs and pro brake kit. Little bit of set up tuning and you'll have a sick handling gt car!
__________________
Brett Adams
Mugen MGT7
o.s. savox futaba
66 Box Nova all motor LSX
1966ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
*1speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 813
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Serpent has a RTR Cobra GT with a Novarossi 21 pull start complete with radio coming out Very soon.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Probably your best bet for your application IMO




.
__________________
🏁🏁🏁 🏆🏆🏆🏆 2013 XRAY XB9 GT8 🏆🏆🏆🏆 🏁🏁🏁
2013 & 2014 R.O.A.R. REGION 1 & NY State GT8 CHAMPION!!
....................... 🏆 SPONSORS 🏆 .....................
ABSOLUTE HOBBYZ / Engines Modded by The Nitro Shop
*1speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 983
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

Thanks guys. But is the Cobra gt the only option out there? What about the Ofnas, Kyoshos or Team C? Can I still be sort of competitive with them at a club level?
lnc0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
Joseph16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 788
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by *1speedy View Post
Serpent has a RTR Cobra GT with a Novarossi 21 pull start complete with radio coming out Very soon.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Probably your best bet for your application IMO




.
+1
__________________
Serpent America & Desoto Racing.
Picco - Arrowmax.
PT RC Racing Oils.
Neal Smith Mods.
Alpha Tires and Body.
Joseph16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
Tech Regular
 
RoketRdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 345
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnc0321 View Post
Thanks guys. But is the Cobra gt the only option out there? What about the Ofnas, Kyoshos or Team C? Can I still be sort of competitive with them at a club level?
The Ofna/TeamC cars are just as fast and will be plenty competitive at the club level. Keep in mind they are flat chassis cars so beginning in 2015 you wont be able to run them in a ROAR event. But if you're only going to race local club level they are a good choice.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 983
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
The Ofna/TeamC cars are just as fast and will be plenty competitive at the club level. Keep in mind they are flat chassis cars so beginning in 2015 you wont be able to run them in a ROAR event. But if you're only going to race local club level they are a good choice.
Thanks. Why would ROAR not approved some of the most affordable cars in that class?
lnc0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,918
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnc0321 View Post
Thanks. Why would ROAR not approved some of the most affordable cars in that class?

Exactly.........
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
Tech Regular
 
RoketRdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 345
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnc0321 View Post
Thanks. Why would ROAR not approved some of the most affordable cars in that class?
Because the GT class was started as as buggy-based class and the early cars were actually converted buggy's. All buggy chassis' have the front kick-up where the Ofta/TeamC cars are flat chassis. The only real difference between the two is that the flat chassis has better tire wear.

On edit: Oops...didn't see Marcus post before I did. I'll shut up now.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 983
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

That kind of sucks!!
lnc0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 50
Default

Why not the Kyosho inferno GT2 Race spec? I just got the car a few days ago and it's awesome! Runs fine on the track i'm driving just need diffrent gears on the clutch!
Lyrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
Tech Master
 
azeroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Da Burbs
Posts: 1,069
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
Because the GT class was started as as buggy-based class and the early cars were actually converted buggy's. All buggy chassis' have the front kick-up where the Ofta/TeamC cars are flat chassis. The only real difference between the two is that the flat chassis has better tire wear.

On edit: Oops...didn't see Marcus post before I did. I'll shut up now.
EXCUSE ME........ the ofna gtp gtp2 were based on the ULTRA GT/MBX buggy chassis the 2 speed bumper and body mount conversion parts available direct from ofna so NO not all buggies had kick up in the chassis
__________________
Nitro is for Racing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YA SMELL WATTs I BE STEPPIN IN????

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Tech Regular
 
RoketRdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 345
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeroth View Post
EXCUSE ME........ the ofna gtp gtp2 were based on the ULTRA GT/MBX buggy chassis the 2 speed bumper and body mount conversion parts available direct from ofna so NO not all buggies had kick up in the chassis
You're excused. Go work on your bad attitude and have a nice day. Get your facts straight while you're at it. And btw...you're statement is supporting the argument as to why ROAR is against allowing the new Ofna/TeamC cars.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #14
Tech Master
 
azeroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Da Burbs
Posts: 1,069
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

oh really? so because i run a older "factory flat chassis buggy" i should not be allowed to race with Roar my facts are straight you can get all the facts off of ofna's site.
__________________
Nitro is for Racing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YA SMELL WATTs I BE STEPPIN IN????

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:31 AM   #15
Tech Regular
 
RoketRdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 345
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Interesting assumption but...no. My info comes from someone who was in the class from the beginning and helped build it. And you're still supporting the argument as to why the Ofna/TeamC cars are not going to be allowed. So lets just say what it is. Serpent pulls ROAR's strings. That is all.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:32 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net