R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-08-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Engine break-in

Hi all,

I know this is a very arguementative subject.

I have read couple on online techniques, and was thought by my lhs of a certain way or breaking in.

This is what i was told.

- Start up engine letting it run idle for about 3litres of fuel.(factory setting needles)
- Let engine rest till it cools.
- Start running my car with the engine rich for another 3 litres of fuel.
- Tune after engine`s cooled down.

I just wanted to find out if anyone has done the same process before?

cause i feel totally ripped by my lhs when i ask him for assistance regarding tuning of my engine. He just tells me to change my engine. peroid.

Most online engine breaking in process i have read , is meant for racing.

I`m looking for assistance for breaking in so that my engine can last a longer time. it`s not used for racing ( at least yet). Is there a standard breaking-in process that can be used on all types of engines that`s effective?

Also, how should i fine tune my engine? i lean my mixture 1/8 of a turn at a time, but how would i know if i`m leaning out too much or too little ?

Thanks for all you guys help!

Cheers!
dct147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dct147
Hi all,

I know this is a very arguementative subject.

I have read couple on online techniques, and was thought by my lhs of a certain way or breaking in.

This is what i was told.

- Start up engine letting it run idle for about 3litres of fuel.(factory setting needles)
- Let engine rest till it cools.
- Start running my car with the engine rich for another 3 litres of fuel.
- Tune after engine`s cooled down.

I just wanted to find out if anyone has done the same process before?

cause i feel totally ripped by my lhs when i ask him for assistance regarding tuning of my engine. He just tells me to change my engine. peroid.

Most online engine breaking in process i have read , is meant for racing.

I`m looking for assistance for breaking in so that my engine can last a longer time. it`s not used for racing ( at least yet). Is there a standard breaking-in process that can be used on all types of engines that`s effective?

Also, how should i fine tune my engine? i lean my mixture 1/8 of a turn at a time, but how would i know if i`m leaning out too much or too little ?

Thanks for all you guys help!

Cheers!
i always breakin all my motors at wide open throttle at a very rich setting, if you let it idle you are doing more harm than good.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
Tech Regular

looks like i really got ripped of.

Marcos.J, what is the procedure u go through?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

this is how i break mine in. i am not expert, but i think this can help. i would just set up the clutch on the motor. then i would start the motor, with the car on the starter box... not on the track. then i would give it a couple blurps of throttle to get it warmed up. then turn out the top end needle about 1.5 turns. then i would open the throttle about 3/4 wide open and keep it like that for 4 minutes (refuel so do not run out). then i would stop the engine and let it sit until it cools down to room temperature (about 5 minutes). make sure you put the piston at the bottom of the sleeve. you do not want to leave the piston at the top of the sleeve while cooling. then i would repeat this for 3 more tanks. after which i would turn the needle in about 1/4 turn and run on the track. with each tank turning it some more until it is race tuned. i hope this helps.
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Thanks joemugen,

I`ll certainly try that out on my soon to come new engine.

How do u fine tune and determine which is the correct mixture and high/low/idleing?

Btw, y do u set your clutch up? to prevent your gears from spinning into second gear?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:47 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

dct147 the standard break in method does not require you to run idle for 3litres of fuel, throughout the entire break-in process you only need to do a max of 8-10 tanks. To run the engine for excessively long periods of time at idle like you LHS reccomended is detrimentle to your engines internals. I have never heard of anyone using 6 litres of fuel to break in an engine- your lhs just wants you to buy alot of fuel.

A good (standard) break in method would be:

*1 tank at idle.
*3-4 tanks running at low speed (A few blips of the throttle to clear engine of fuel).
*Lean engine a little.
*2 tanks running at medium speed.
*At this point you can begin to tune the engine for high speed running.

After 7-8 tanks you can start to lean the engine out. There are many different oppinions out there on break-in but i think many would agree if you follow a method (similar) to that youll be trouble free.
Tuning adjustments should be done at 1/8th turn like you said, a reasonable amount of smoke should be visible from the engine during mid-high speed running.
caggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:47 PM   #7

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

http://cefx.net/tips/nitro/break-in/index.php

Heres one way.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Thank for all your help and replies !!

i was just reading that exact same website Artifical-I showed just before posting this thread. .Thanks!! that`s what made me feel i got ripped off.

caggers - all your running/breaking in are done with your car on a surface? or do u let the wheels spin freely on a starter box or anything that holds?

I have a friend who bought the siro 5port modified engine from the same lhs. took him an entire gallon of fuel just to break in.

I believe all these methods u guys have taught me are all fine as they are all somewhat similar.

Thanks guys!!
Old 07-08-2005, 01:58 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

The idle tank should be done with wheels off the ground, the rest of the tanks can be done on the ground. What engine have you bought, and what are the fuel specs?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:01 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Luckily for me, the engine i`m using is the stock FW05-T engine.

am intending to get the ho bao ( not sure if that engine is available at your area. it`s a taiwanese made engine). it`s cheap and heard it`s rather relaible.

the fuel i`ve been using all along was 25% nitro. don`t know the oil content though.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Nitro content is fine, oil content should be between 12-20%. Needs to have a mixture of castor and synthetic oil. I cannot stress the importance of good fuel.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:09 PM   #12
Tech Regular

the initial fuel i was using was kamakaza (might not be available at your are too). it was given by my lhs together with the kit i bought.

have switched to blue thunder.

Both doesn`t state the oil content.

know the method of letting fuel evaporate leaving the oil then measure the ratio getting the % of oil content.

or rather, do u have a good brand of fuel to recommend? i`ll try looking around if anywhere carries the same brand.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:14 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Ive heard blue thunder is very good so stick with it. I get a custom blended fuel mixed from my lhs.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:21 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Thanks caggers.!!
Old 07-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #15

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Well the most important thing is what did you think between the two fuels. Did you find one better than the other or cooling better.

BT should have a good amount of oil content from what I remember so for safety and longevity that is a good fuel to choose.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote