R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to NitroNubee
Default Giving Up?

Hey,

What does everyone do when nothing seems to go right? I have had nothing but problems the past 5 weeks. I feel like giving up. So, what does one do to re-group?

Thanks a bunch! I am not ready to give up this awesome hobby!
NitroNubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNubee
Hey,

What does everyone do when nothing seems to go right? I have had nothing but problems the past 5 weeks. I feel like giving up. So, what does one do to re-group?

Thanks a bunch! I am not ready to give up this awesome hobby!
i think i would just put everything away for a couple weeks and DO NOT TOUCH IT!!! come back to it, and i bet you things wont be as bad. sometimes for whatever reason when things are not working right, take a break, and when you come back everything works great. who knows why
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
Tech Adept

LOL! Thanks joemugen! That sounds like a good idea. However, I am not sure my engine tuning and clutch problems will fix themselves. I DO need a break, though! I guess I can start fresh after a couple of weeks off.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemugen
i think i would just put everything away for a couple weeks and DO NOT TOUCH IT!!! come back to it, and i bet you things wont be as bad. sometimes for whatever reason when things are not working right, take a break, and when you come back everything works great. who knows why
Yeah...it seems joeMugen is always taking a break ..
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:00 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
LOL! Thanks joemugen! That sounds like a good idea. However, I am not sure my engine tuning and clutch problems will fix themselves. I DO need a break, though! I guess I can start fresh after a couple of weeks off.
When everything seems to be a pain, start everythign from factory settings. That usually gets you in the ball park. Take your time at home before you go to the track and set everything. That way you can get to the track and focus on driving and fine tuning. Or if you've had enough experience with your car, set everything back to your personal "base" settings and then fine tune from there. If your engine is giving you tuning problems it may be getting worn out, but it could also be tons of other things. I recently "reset" my MTX3 because I couldn't get it to drive how i wanted. New body, new tires, and everything to a base setting and i was back in the ballpark. A little fine tuning had my lap times back down to where i wanted. Good luck
Old 07-07-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Head down to a race meeting and have a chat to guys who are racing the same type of car as yours.......if possible ask them to have a look at your car and ask their advice on the areas of your car that are giving you problems.
Theres also lots of articles/info on engine tuning available on the net (www.cefx.net) but having someone at the local track show you how its done really simplifies the process.
Cheers
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:45 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Default giving up?

if you are fed up, i would put the nitro away and buy an electric car/truck. much easier to wrench on and they are easier to drive. after you get comfortable with it then try the nitro again, but return the needles to the factory settings first.
if buying a new car isn't possible, Andy T had some great advice.
sedanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:00 AM   #8

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Get a new motor. Preferably an os motor. New fuel line , new fuel , get a large battery powered glow-starter , new glow-plug , new gas tank , new exhaust system.

Sell the old stuff. I figure that ought to chase out a few gremlins if you have them.

If your having trouble with the trans , get a whole new clutch bell and all the stuff required for your kit. Take it apart if its a used kit , clean it , get the instructions set everything to stock spec.

Or sell everything and buy something new. Probably RTR or something. Have a hobby shop show you what to do and how to start things or find a local person from the board thats willing to come and help you.

Theres lots you can do. Also the person who said walk away and come back later. That is good , but too long could cause more trouble for you.

I just personally dealt with a crappy motor that wouldnt ever tune right or it would always flame out. I got a new motor and everything was good after that.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #9
Tech Adept

WOW! Thanks for all your advice and support! To address some of the suggestions:

I have 2 great engines in question here. An MT12 and an X-12 RB. My neighbor (VERY good with r/c) spent almost an hour tuning the RB and it still is not quite right. Until recently, my MT12 has been Mr. Consistant. For no apparent reason, it is running poorly. Just yesterday, I burned up a new glow plug in less than a tank. I will try to set it to factory.

Unfortunately, there is no (on-road) track where I live. My LHS is somewhat helpful. I have been relying on Kevin at Ace for some advanced help.

I do not have the money to buy all new. I wish I could. I do have some spare stuff lying around that I could sell but have been to busy/lazy to post it anywhere. I am going to re-organize and clean my garage tomorrow. I will take an inventory then.

I did take my MTX-3 clutch apart and put it back together according to the manual and put it back in the car. It is on the RB. I am going to give it a try again, see what happens. My next idea is to send the RB to Ace and have Rody Roem take a look at it. He will be there on the 22nd. Kevin posted the info on this forum somewhere. Rody should be able to get it back on track!

What OS do you have, A-I? I have read many good things about them.

Well, thanks again everyone for the support! I'll keep you posted on the events.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:52 PM   #10

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Yeah sounds like the rody deal is good. Just OS motors are notorious for being easy to tune.

If your burned up a glow-plug that means it could be too lean.

I also suggest finding a friend or someone online here that can come and help you. Meet up somewhere run it together and see what can be fixed.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:24 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
. My neighbor (VERY good with r/c) spent almost an hour tuning the RB and it still is not quite right.
Keep in mind that an engines tune will change from day to day depending on weather conditions.
To get the best out of an engine it`ll need regular tuning both for the weather and track conditions.
Cheers
Old 07-10-2005, 09:15 AM   #12
Tech Adept

You're right, Andy T. It has been REAL hot an humid here. But, we could not get it tuned at all one night. Now, I ran it yesterday after puting it all back together. It was absolutely flying! Running great, then apparently, I didn't get the engine mount screws tight enough, and it came away from the spurs and quit running. Always something, right?

So, who is in Central Illinois that can come meet me somewhere? It would obviously be a weekend. I can try to call the guy that has sold me a couple cars. He lives in Chicago.

I like the Rody idea. I may do that as well. I have been chatting with a guy on another forum that has the same problems with a very similar engine as mine. He says he completly dis-assembled his carb, cleaned and oiled it real well and it fixed his problems.

Oh well, we'll get it figured out somehow. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Last edited by NitroNubee; 07-11-2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:46 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
It was absolutely flying! Running great, then apparently, I didn't get the engine mount screws tight enough, and it came away from the spurs and quit running. Always something, right?

He says he completelt dis-assembled his carb, cleaned and oiled it real well and it fixed his problems.

Oh well, we'll get it figured out somehow. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Always use threadlock whenever you have metal to metal joins.......engine mounting bolts both upper and lower are notorious for working loose and stripped spur gears will be common if you dont threadlock.
Cheers
Old 07-11-2005, 08:24 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT
Always use threadlock whenever you have metal to metal joins.......engine mounting bolts both upper and lower are notorious for working loose and stripped spur gears will be common if you dont threadlock.
Cheers
Got it! Now that that deed is done, I had a full tank of a good run! The car was really ripping. As strangely as the problems showed up, they have gone away. Is this common for nitro? I had no stalling or idleing problems. The car was moving faster than I have ever seen it. It was hugging the corners and shifting great! I guess I won't question it. The big question is, do I still send it to Rody?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:04 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
Got it! Now that that deed is done, I had a full tank of a good run! The car was really ripping. As strangely as the problems showed up, they have gone away. Is this common for nitro? I had no stalling or idleing problems. The car was moving faster than I have ever seen it. It was hugging the corners and shifting great! I guess I won't question it. The big question is, do I still send it to Rody?
Hell yeah. Any time you can get some advice or help from someone like him you get it.