Serpent 960....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

So are we designing the 09 car now
Old 01-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Options

I just cannot wait for the 08 kit to arrive so I got the 07 kit with the black chassis. Due to time constrain I did not buy any options, just extra clutch shoes and I am competitive. Have not been driving Serpent for 5 years and the feeling is good, it is a well designed car and the compenent is strong. I will consider to buy the radio supoport bracket becuase the roll bar tends to come off even if you grind a slot on it.

Originally Posted by UPSguy
Another question, are there any options that are considered mandatory items on the 08? Is the radio plate support bracket in aluminum a tuning option or just something to add bling?
Old 01-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by UPSguy
Another question, are there any options that are considered mandatory items on the 08? Is the radio plate support bracket in aluminum a tuning option or just something to add bling?
You get a very good car with the 960 '08. It comes with a lot of good options. Suggest if you're starting out you stick to the very basic options. Tools, tires and fuel eat up cash quick.

Serpent's options all do something besides add bling. You have to decide what you need.

Basic options (get input from track users)

Pinion and Spur Gears
To increase acceleration but reduce top speed (good for tight tracks) use a smaller pinion gear (or use a larger spur gear).
To increase top speed but reduce acceleration (good for tracks with longer stretches of track) use a larger pinion (or smaller spur).

Springs and Shock Oil
Harder spring increase response but can work against you when grip is low. The car may become too sensitive to drive and become difficult to control consistently.

Softer springs smoothen out driver input and typically make the car easier to drive especially in low grip situations. But when grip is high the car's response may be too slow and the car will suffer understeer. This will force you to go through curves much slower. Softer springs may also cause the car to bottom out scraping the chassis.

Hudy Setup System
Not made by Serpent but suggest you consider buying one if you run on a pro track. It is a great tool to ensure all aspects of the suspension are balanced. If the car is unbalanced no option in the world will fix it. Driving will be very frustrating as the car will act very differently turning left or right and even driving in a straight line becomes a challenge. It's a pretty important tool so seriously consider it.

Novarossi Silencer
A lot of tracks require this. Check to see if the track where you race does. If so, get one. Might as well get used to driving the car with the silencer.

Anyway, the list of options goes on. Serpent has the whole list on their site and explains what each one does. At the beginning, suggest you stick with basic options as they will have an immediate effect on driving the car. Softer springs will force you to slow down to make curves. As your driving gets better, stiffen springs up and/or use thicker shock oil. As you gain experience add on other options and note how the car changes. Keep in mind not even the pros use every available option. The car is very competitive out of the box.

Rob

Last edited by going4#1; 01-18-2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Default hey guys

I just got a serpent 960 07, also I'm new on the 1/8 scale, I'm planing to race during summer, but I don,t have any idea on what type of servos to put on my serpent and also I don,t know which engine is the best for races, I need some help please. thank you
Old 01-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys I found this servos tell me what you think about this servos
I,m planing to use this servo on the steering.
JR radios.
Z9100S Digital Ultra-Speed MG Servo
Specs
Type: Digital Ultra-Speed Metal Gear Servo
Torque: 150 oz/in @ 4.8V, 180 oz/in @ 6V
Speed: .08 sec / 60 degrees @ 4.8V, .06 sec / 60 degrees @ 6V
Dimensions (WxLxH): 0.827"x1.59"x1.569"
Weight: 2.3 oz
Bearing: Dual Wide Spaced Bearing
Motor Type: Coreless
Gears: Metal
Application: Surface vehicles

and for the throttle
DZ9000S Digital Hi-Speed/Torque Surface
Specs
Type: Ultra High Speed
Torque: 112 oz/in @ 4.8V, 128 oz/in @ 6V
Speed: .08 sec/60° @ 4.8V, .06 sec/60° @ 6V
Dimensions (WxLxH): 0.83" x 1.59" x 1.50"
Weight: 2.2 oz
Gears: Metal Gears.

Please tell me what do do think, and advice also on what type of radio and reciver should I use, I hear some rumors that spectrum has problems with 1/8 please advice
Old 01-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sepentNY
I just got a serpent 960 07, also I'm new on the 1/8 scale, I'm planing to race during summer, but I don,t have any idea on what type of servos to put on my serpent and also I don,t know which engine is the best for races, I need some help please. thank you
welcome and good luck with the car . for servo's any 110 and better torqe will work and .10 and better speed will work .as for engine if you are new to tuning start with the mega power pack it takes some of the guess work out .
Old 01-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

JR radios.
Specs

and for the throttle
Specs

Please tell me what do do think, and advice also on what type of radio and reciver should I use, I hear some rumors that spectrum has problems with 1/8 please advice
those have the specs that you need
tire depend on the track that you are racing on . but 35 shore is a good start
get a radio that feels good in your hands
as for rumors you know how they go . but a lot of people run it in 1/8
Old 01-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

JR radios.
Specs

and for the throttle
Specs

If you're looking to run the JR Servos, my friend here in SoCal who runs the JR product line recommends the Z8800 series of JR Propo Servos. But the ones you listed sound adequate for the job. Just passing along information!

As far as the Spektrum issue goes, someone people have bad luck, or set up the systems wrong and it causes them to have problems. Paolo Morganti uses Spektrum with his KO EX-10 no problem. He even uses that tiny tiny receiver that they have now.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey guys will there be a 960 08 us version? some one told me there is gonna be one, i just wanna know if that guy talking shit or what.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The US version is the same kit, the difference is it will come with both offset kits, so you can run the Kyosho or Serpent rims. Everything else is the same.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

You would be wise to use the "T" series JR servo for the throttle due to torque needed for brakes -if- you use a lot of push brake.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Rookie

thank you very much guys I appreciate the info and time. Really help! I think I,m going to use the jr servos Z9100s for the throttle and steering. but I want to use spectrum but which one u guys recommend me to use?? and also. What do you think is better the rb c6 or novarossi T 35 PLUS 21, or the original serpent engine mf.21??? or what engine is good!!
thank you guys!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitro ho
hey guys will there be a 960 08 us version? some one told me there is gonna be one, i just wanna know if that guy talking shit or what.
The car will be released as a conversion kit first with chassis and plastic parts available with OS1 OS2. So those of you with 07's aren't left thinking "man i have to buy a new car again."

The kit will come later on the year as those who are looking for 08's will have already converted and those looking for new cars can go ahead and get them.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:38 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

What do you think is better the rb c6 or novarossi T 35 PLUS 21, or the original serpent engine mf.21??? or what engine is good!!
thank you guys!!!
Of those 3, I think the Novarossi and the Mega MF, are similar, the R&B is just a bit less...
But my suggestion, because you are new in 1/8 scale racing, DON'T buy any of these 3 engines, but go for the Mega ZX21 DSII+. similar power as the 3 other engines, but a lot cheaper...
Old 01-23-2008, 01:50 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by M7H
Of those 3, I think the Novarossi and the Mega MF, are similar, the R&B is just a bit less...
But my suggestion, because you are new in 1/8 scale racing, DON'T buy any of these 3 engines, but go for the Mega ZX21 DSII+. similar power as the 3 other engines, but a lot cheaper...

this is the right answer

but the zx21 DSII+ are not on stock @ serpent so you can choose also this one
http://www.the-border.com/product.ph...cat=501&page=1
ore for more power and better perfomance choose this one
http://www.the-border.com/product.ph...&cat=86&page=1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.