Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Serpent 960.... >

Serpent 960....

Serpent 960....

Old 02-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I struggled all last season with those new flyweights installed the way the Serpent guys said they were using them. Same deal. Super fast wear, lots of dust, and poor performance.

And I've had warped clutch bells before. This was not my problem this time.

Finally I gave up and just went back to the setup I used the previous season (regular flyweights, between the pins, with a Mugen hard spring, same clutch bell) and the thing was back to running great.

I don't doubt that people are making that new setup work, but there is something going on here that is not explained. I'm sure I did everything right... it just plain didn't work. Maybe some variability in the density of those new flyweights???

You're not the only one experiencing this problem (but we might be the only two)...
Old 02-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've gone back to the standard flyweights.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:19 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Greg M
I may have this the wrong way round, but standard flyweights are leading and the ones with a hole in each end are trailing.
yep, it's exactly opposite.

Standard is trailing.
New ones are leading.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Cheers, I have ordered a set of standard Flyweights, plate and a new clutch bell. As what I omitted to say is that on my first run of that newer clutch setup it tried to throw a weight out which jammed the plate into the bell, so could indeed be a warped clutch bell.
On the older trailing set up I mount the weights onto the pivot pins, never had any problems at all with the weights on that setup. So do some people even with the older setup mount the flyweights in between the pins ?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by eigthracer
Cheers, I have ordered a set of standard Flyweights, plate and a new clutch bell. As what I omitted to say is that on my first run of that newer clutch setup it tried to throw a weight out which jammed the plate into the bell, so could indeed be a warped clutch bell.
On the older trailing set up I mount the weights onto the pivot pins, never had any problems at all with the weights on that setup. So do some people even with the older setup mount the flyweights in between the pins ?
I've tried between the pins as well as on the pins (trailing), and I couldn't really tell any difference. Perhaps a more observent driver would.

Also, every warped clutch bell I've ever seen could be easily detected by putting the clutch bell on a super-flat surface (piece of glass or granite tile works) and seeing if it will 'rock' in any direction.

If the clutch bells a rock'n... don't use it.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

hello,
what are the differences between the following serpents:

960 to 960 08' or latest version

latest 960 to 966

thanks for the time
Old 02-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Go to www.serpentamerica.com and you will find the details of the upgrade.

Clay
Old 04-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hi guys, just want to share some tips on digital caliper

Digital Caliper
Old 04-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by seabass2500
Go to www.serpentamerica.com and you will find the details of the upgrade.

Clay
Where is the link on Serpent America's site with the information?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Tech Rookie

kschu;5736112: hi guys, just want to share some tips on digital caliper
- Digital Caliper

You mean the one you copied directly from Xtreme RC Cars on Issue 135 February 2007: How To - 20 ways to use digital calipers.

Even the pictures you direct-linked from their site?? Come on. You stealing bandwidth from their sites whenever visitors viewing the pictures. Most of your posting is just copy-paste and the worst thing is, you not even link the page u took from????

I'm not againts you or anything.. but being an rc news dot com that registered, you shud at least saved the pictures in your server and at least give the original article their link credit.. by actually giving out link.. not just text.. thats stealing...

sorry, just my 2 cents. I know you mean well to share the knowledge but think on the original author time making that posting..

I mean peace.. so lets focus on serpent again..

Now I know Serpent and Xceed has some kind of connection... interesting... what a great combo...
Old 04-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redracing
kschu;5736112: hi guys, just want to share some tips on digital caliper
- Digital Caliper

You mean the one you copied directly from Xtreme RC Cars on Issue 135 February 2007: How To - 20 ways to use digital calipers.

Even the pictures you direct-linked from their site?? Come on. You stealing bandwidth from their sites whenever visitors viewing the pictures. Most of your posting is just copy-paste and the worst thing is, you not even link the page u took from????

I'm not againts you or anything.. but being an rc news dot com that registered, you shud at least saved the pictures in your server and at least give the original article their link credit.. by actually giving out link.. not just text.. thats stealing...

sorry, just my 2 cents. I know you mean well to share the knowledge but think on the original author time making that posting..

I mean peace.. so lets focus on serpent again..

Now I know Serpent and Xceed has some kind of connection... interesting... what a great combo...
yes, i just copy from them...each pictures r link back to them and whenever user click on it, it'll direct them to their website...i already ask their permission about it, they r ok ....

below there got stated SOURCE : XTREME MAGAZINE..

please check...
Old 05-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

if anyone is interested i have alot of os1 wheels for serpent 960 07 and older models for sale i will sell cheap let me know.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello everyone still have a lot of 960 plastic parts and metal parts, 1- silver chassis 960 left in stock. 60% off.
let me know we stop selling the stuff in our shop over a year ago.
e-mail me with part #'s and I try to get a list on the net my Monday with what I have left in stock.

Thank you
Old 05-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

what,s up guys i am using the alloy brake gear on my 960/08 this is the second one that I have put in, the pins keep flying out. can any one give me some advice on what to do about this problem? part #909257
Old 05-19-2009, 03:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gearhead_22
what,s up guys i am using the alloy brake gear on my 960/08 this is the second one that I have put in, the pins keep flying out. can any one give me some advice on what to do about this problem? part #909257

Sorry to hear about your problem(expensive part). This happened to me also and I ended up going back to the stock part. If you still have the pins you could use JB weld to reinstall. Good Luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.