Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 960....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

hey

just tried to fit some old rims from my 950R and first 960 on my 960 08 and they dont fit on the rear, its like the axle is to short for the rim. just wondering if the axle from my 950R will swap ova or is there some thing wrong with the kit. will i have to use mug or kyo wheels.

thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 03:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcmad2700
hey

just tried to fit some old rims from my 950R and first 960 on my 960 08 and they dont fit on the rear, its like the axle is to short for the rim. just wondering if the axle from my 950R will swap ova or is there some thing wrong with the kit. will i have to use mug or kyo wheels.

thanks
The Car will have OS2 axles, so you'll need Mugen/Kyosho rims.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Tech Addict

thanks heaps ill stop stressin now

but will it be off benifit to change to os1 or is os2 were its at
Old 08-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Tech Addict

All the latest set ups show the factory guys with OS2, and its quite expensive to change, so I'm keeping with OS2. I bought a pile of tyres on OS1 and it was easier to remount the foam on some used rims I got off some Mugen guys.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

im building my 960 08. there are 2 plastic inserts in the rear axle.
im still building , but im guessing the inserts are too long. there is a long and short, so im guessing something to do with the OS2 and std axles. but with the short inserts, the dog bones bind up and prevent any further suspension travel. i have set the pivot balls as per the instructions, so i havent checked track width yet. but i will get there, if anyone has built the 08 kit, and have got past this problem, please post as im trying to get it all together to run it this sunday. so all help would be apreciated. thanks.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:51 AM
Tech Addict

yer use the long ones as the short ones are for the front wen the kits didnt have CVDs. they stop the shaft moving to far inwards
Old 08-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

I am running the OS2 version and I did not use any inserts in the rear. When you build it just make sure that the dog bones can not come out. They will have slop (side to side), but that is fine.

DJ Apolaro
Old 08-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dj apolaro
I am running the OS2 version and I did not use any inserts in the rear. When you build it just make sure that the dog bones can not come out. They will have slop (side to side), but that is fine.

DJ Apolaro
i think the manual has issues, if you build the top arm length to the manual, then they say to use the long arm for the inserts. this gives the car too much rear camber, and this is binding up th esuspension due the dog bones binding. so i changed the insert to short top arm and it seems better. i also have issues with clearance with the rear shocks. if you use the most layed down position, the hinge pins and the carbon for the body mount interfere with the shock collars. so i have used the middle hole for the shock position at the rear.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

To lay down the shock I use 3mm washer on the top part and a 1mm washer on the bottom part were you screw in the shocks. It will be fine. I have had NO problems.

DJ Apolaro
Old 08-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

thanks DJ. i was going to sort that out, but just bit by bit before i run the car. will be a fortnight away now. was just sorting out some little problems as i go through the build.

Last edited by Pattojnr; 08-22-2008 at 07:50 AM. Reason: bad spellin :)
Old 08-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

DJ Apolaro
When i lost the insert in one of those close encounters with the wall, i used a small fuel tube instead. It serves the same purpose, can be cut to size and even if too big wont make the dogbone bind.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks guys. The car was really awesome. By the end of the weekend I had my car working really well. My set up is quit different than I think most others. By the time I was done I had this.

front

1 hole piston with 35wt oil and new green springs upper position on new tower

rear

2 hole piston with 40wt oil and new blue springs and lower position on tower
DJ (and others):

Whenever 'shock oil' is quoted on this thread, is it safe to assume that this refers to 'Serpent brand' shock oil?

It seems that Serpent 'wt' is way different than some of the others that use 'wt' (like Associated and Losi), so I think this is an important distinction to make. I've heard from reliable sources that a Serpent 40wt is thicker than an Associated/Losi/Trinity 80-90wt.

Follow up question: anyone know where I can find Serpent brand shock oil, preferably in the US? It looks like Serpent part number 1679 is a shock oil assortment that I'd like to get to be able to copy setups posted here as well as on the Serpent web site, but I have not been able to find it yet anywhere.

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

http://www.kamikazetoysandhobbies.com/home.htm

Give this guys a call. I coulnt find the oil on the website, but give them a call and they will get it for you.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Walt
DJ (and others):

Whenever 'shock oil' is quoted on this thread, is it safe to assume that this refers to 'Serpent brand' shock oil?

It seems that Serpent 'wt' is way different than some of the others that use 'wt' (like Associated and Losi), so I think this is an important distinction to make. I've heard from reliable sources that a Serpent 40wt is thicker than an Associated/Losi/Trinity 80-90wt.

Follow up question: anyone know where I can find Serpent brand shock oil, preferably in the US? It looks like Serpent part number 1679 is a shock oil assortment that I'd like to get to be able to copy setups posted here as well as on the Serpent web site, but I have not been able to find it yet anywhere.

Thanks.
Check with any of the main sellers of serpent. Sam or Nigel, maybe Ashford. I always talk using serpent oils. Just to let people know the 35wt is like mugen/kyosho 600 and the 40 wt is very heavy similar to mugen/kyosho 800-1000. I like using 35 most of the time. On high bite I have been using the heavier rear oil.

DJ Apolaro
Old 08-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

The Serpent oil also quotes the cst, so you can compare against Xray oils. There is a conversion chart out which then converts cst to the AE and Losi oil Wts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.