R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #2716
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSguy View Post
Another question as the Serpent website is confusing. When you look at the list of optional parts for the 08 the WOS steering blocks are listed as an option. When you look at the PDF files of the build manual and reference manual they are listed as standard. Which is correct? Secondly I realize these are tuning options compared to the original steering block, is one of the setting of the new block the same as the old block?
they are the same as the one's in the kit you just don't get the bearing from the pro kit they are ceramic . and yes they have tuning options just read into them and it will help you understand what the settings do
Old 01-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #2717
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by captian View Post
they are the same as the one's in the kit you just don't get the bearing from the pro kit they are ceramic . and yes they have tuning options just read into them and it will help you understand what the settings do

I appreciate your replies to my stupid questions. I have read the info on the WOS blocks and my question remains. Is one of the settings the same as the old blocks or do they expand the steering response options in 2 different directions? A related question, does anyone prefer the older inline blocks?

Thank you again for the help.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #2718
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSguy View Post
I appreciate your replies to my stupid questions. I have read the info on the WOS blocks and my question remains. Is one of the settings the same as the old blocks or do they expand the steering response options in 2 different directions? A related question, does anyone prefer the older inline blocks?

Thank you again for the help.
well there is no stupid question its only stupid if you don't ask .
with the blocks in the stock spot with not eccentics in i believe its the same as the old ones . and yes the w.o.s expand the steering in different directions when you use eccentric and flip them up side down . the older one's work good for me too . different tracks you need more or less sometimes .
Old 01-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #2719
Tech Rookie

Default hey

as up guys?? Hey tell me what do you think about this break, Ventilated brake disc 1/8th (#903251)

sepentNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #2720
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepentNY View Post
as up guys?? Hey tell me what do you think about this break, Ventilated brake disc 1/8th (#903251)

It's a nice upgrade. The big plus: It reduces your rotating mass. It's not that the actual weight of the brake itself is reduced but the effect of it (i.e. the momentum) is. Even very light objects at high velocity will carry a large amount of momentum. The heavier a rotating part is the more energy it will take to change it's rate of rotation. This means slower acceleration and deceleration for heavy discs and better accel/decel for lighter discs

Another plus, it's stays cooler than solid or partially perforated discs. The added heat dissipation helps avoid brake degradation as the disc heats up and starts to melt your pads.

My question is, does the lack of material due to the added holes decrease brake effect? In other words, because there are so many holes isn't there less brake to hold onto?
going4#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:33 AM   #2721
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to nigelnuggets

Quote:
Originally Posted by going4#1 View Post
It's a nice upgrade. The big plus: It reduces your rotating mass. It's not that the actual weight of the brake itself is reduced but the effect of it (i.e. the momentum) is. Even very light objects at high velocity will carry a large amount of momentum. The heavier a rotating part is the more energy it will take to change it's rate of rotation. This means slower acceleration and deceleration for heavy discs and better accel/decel for lighter discs

Another plus, it's stays cooler than solid or partially perforated discs. The added heat dissipation helps avoid brake degradation as the disc heats up and starts to melt your pads.

My question is, does the lack of material due to the added holes decrease brake effect? In other words, because there are so many holes isn't there less brake to hold onto?
I wouldn't think so, a decrease in overall surface area of the brake disc doesn't decrease the braking force applied.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:28 AM   #2722
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelnuggets View Post
I wouldn't think so, a decrease in overall surface area of the brake disc doesn't decrease the braking force applied.
It's not necessarily the force I'm thinking of but more more friction area. Just like bigger tires consume more fuel because of higher friction a bigger disc generates more friction on the pad. A lot of real car tuners will often upgrade their front/rear rotors to a larger size. A typical upgrade is to go from 9 to 10/11 inch front discs on smaller cars, giving the caliper more to grab onto. Of course, caliper/pads are also increased (e.g. 1 piston to 2 piston or 2 to 4 piston upgrades). Perhaps it's because on a model race car, even if I provide more disc area I don't get more braking because my brake pads are still the same size no matter what I do to the disc. Also, in a model, the brake is on the shaft, not the wheel. With a one way, braking effect is divided by 2 (one brake for 2 wheels). On a spool, it's divided by 4.

I wonder if you moded your car to have bigger brake pads if that would give you more brake? Aren't most RC car brake pads roughly the same size?
going4#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:54 AM   #2723
M7H
Tech Elite

I would not really worry if you lose breaking power with the perforated disc.
The Futaba 9402 servo in my 950R (960-08 is on it's way) is strong enough to lock my rear wheels at full speed.

Some people just need to look at the small spring which is used for throttle return. I sometimes see cars where this spring is way to strong, this way breaking power from your servo, gets lost on this spring......
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:44 AM   #2724
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to nigelnuggets

Quote:
Originally Posted by going4#1 View Post
It's not necessarily the force I'm thinking of but more more friction area. Just like bigger tires consume more fuel because of higher friction a bigger disc generates more friction on the pad. A lot of real car tuners will often upgrade their front/rear rotors to a larger size. A typical upgrade is to go from 9 to 10/11 inch front discs on smaller cars, giving the caliper more to grab onto. Of course, caliper/pads are also increased (e.g. 1 piston to 2 piston or 2 to 4 piston upgrades). Perhaps it's because on a model race car, even if I provide more disc area I don't get more braking because my brake pads are still the same size no matter what I do to the disc. Also, in a model, the brake is on the shaft, not the wheel. With a one way, braking effect is divided by 2 (one brake for 2 wheels). On a spool, it's divided by 4.

I wonder if you moded your car to have bigger brake pads if that would give you more brake? Aren't most RC car brake pads roughly the same size?
Still, decrease in overall surface area in the braking system doesn't decrease stopping power. Having an increase on braking power alone through size of pad vs surface area of rotor, i can almost guarantee that you'd have to dial out more brake electronically through your transmitter to achieve the power braking force without locking up the rear tires.

I understand that having mad brakes would be nice, but at the same time is pointless since you'd probably tune out the brake EPA on your radio.

Are you having problems with your braking system?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #2725
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I have had problems with the brakes on my 960. I was experiencing way too much braking force while the brakes were cold, and then the brakes would fade throughout the race as the brakes heated up.

It was so severe that I really needed to run the car hard during the warm up laps to get those brakes warmed up, because the car was undrivable into the corners for those first several laps due to too much braking.

I have since replaced everything in the braking system and I'm awaiting the spring to see if the problem has gone away, but I really didn't see anything wrong with anything I took out of the car. The rotor looked fine, and the pads still had a lot of meat on them and appeared to be wearing evenly.

I also checked my servo and it was moving to the exact same position at the start of the race as it was at the end of the race, so it wasn't a servo issue.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd like to hear them.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #2726
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

check to see if your brake disc is warped
Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 AM   #2727
Tech Master

make sure the screw on the brake cam is not crushing the plastic's together and making the brakes arm and plastic spring stick
Old 02-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #2728
Tech Apprentice

Been doing a lot of reading here and on the Serpent website trying to get all my facts straight before jumping into this. Noticed on the 950R that front roll center was adjusted just like the rear, with the pivot inserts. On the 960 series that got changed to using shims under the arm mounts. Was this a change for ease of manufactuer and cost or did it give a real tangible benifit?

Oh, somebody let me know when they have 960 08s in stock please.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #2729
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

It made things simpler. They should be hitting the stores in the next week or two
Old 02-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #2730
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

It made things simpler. They should be hitting the stores in the next week or two give Sam at Kamikaze a call he will call you when he gets them.