R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #1981
Tech Initiate

Default 960

Hi Paolo,
Hi Guys,

Has anyone use the "Susp bracket alu FR upper(#903161) INSERTS" with the inner hole . What for a effect do you have? I thing it changed only the front camber raise effet. Pls share your experience.

I thing there is a new 51T rear solid pulley (SER-903229) on the way. The name is V2. What is the the differnce with the prevs.

thnx
Taner
Taner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #1982
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to nigelnuggets

In my experience,

the inserts that sit inside of the upper suspension arm bracket in the inner position change the contact patch of the tire to the ground. The inner setting has always given me more steering.

As far as the new pulley goes, im not too sure, havent actually heard of the V2 yet.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #1983
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelnuggets
In my experience,

the inserts that sit inside of the upper suspension arm bracket in the inner position change the contact patch of the tire to the ground. The inner setting has always given me more steering.

As far as the new pulley goes, im not too sure, havent actually heard of the V2 yet.
I agree but the inside position minimizes the number of threads on the upper pivot ball. The only time I have broken an upper arm is when I was running the inboard position.
Winner's Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #1984
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to nigelnuggets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
I agree but the inside position minimizes the number of threads on the upper pivot ball. The only time I have broken an upper arm is when I was running the inboard position.
I don't see a difference as to why minimizing the threads on the pivot ball would cause an arm to break, but i break arms on the in AND out position when i hit the wall here at the local tracks.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:48 AM   #1985
Tech Initiate

Default 960

thnx fır sharing, I will try with inner position .
Taner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:13 AM   #1986
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelnuggets
I don't see a difference as to why minimizing the threads on the pivot ball would cause an arm to break, but i break arms on the in AND out position when i hit the wall here at the local tracks.
The arm split where the pivot ball screws in due to the pivot ball being screwed further out and supported by fewer threads. The very end of the upper arm can split when contact is made with one of the front wheels which can happen when the car contacts the outer wall of the track.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:57 AM   #1987
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Using the inner hole (hinge pin closer to center of car, lowers front roll center) will give you less camber gain, and should give you less steering entering a corner. Using the outer hole (hinge pin closer to the outside of the car, raises front roll center) gives more camber gain and should give you more steering entering a corner.

Moving the pin inboard has a similar effect to raising the pin (installing shims under the arm mount), and moving the pin outboard has a similar effect to lowering the pin (no shims under the arm mount).

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #1988
Tech Master

....as far as ease of breakage at either setting....stay off the walls and you should have no problem!

Old 02-28-2007, 10:11 AM   #1989
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by garen
Using the inner hole (hinge pin closer to center of car, lowers front roll center) will give you less camber gain, and should give you less steering entering a corner. Using the outer hole (hinge pin closer to the outside of the car, raises front roll center) gives more camber gain and should give you more steering entering a corner.

Moving the pin inboard has a similar effect to raising the pin (installing shims under the arm mount), and moving the pin outboard has a similar effect to lowering the pin (no shims under the arm mount).
OK, now I am confused. I spent all last summer trying to get my 960 to steer.
On one practice session, one othe things I was trying was front roll center adjustment. According to the tuning guide and other sources, adding shims under the front upper mount would increase steering. I wasn't sure about this, so I machined material from the underside of the stock mount, to lower it. I ran several laps, then started shimming it upward. Every time I moved it upward, steering improved! Now, you are saying the opposite!!
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #1990
Tech Master

By improve you mean 'more steering' I assume? Did steering improve entering or exiting corners?
When I ran the aluminum mounts I tried both the inner and outer pin positions. To me, the inner position calmed the car down, the outer position made the car more aggressive.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #1991
Tech Elite

Actually, most of my efforts were to improve steering over-all, especially at mid-corner. When I installed the alum mounts, I tried inner & outer. I ended up using outer, with shims to elevate the mount.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:13 AM   #1992
Tech Initiate

Default Drive ratios

The inner mounting hole will give you more steering, it feels more positive too.
The outer hole is the same as the standard nylon parts.

Does anyone know on the 960 which is better, more rear drive than front(dissengaged 4wd), or more front drive than rear drive (dragging)?
Ian C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:10 PM   #1993
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian C
The inner mounting hole will give you more steering, it feels more positive too.
The outer hole is the same as the standard nylon parts.

Does anyone know on the 960 which is better, more rear drive than front(dissengaged 4wd), or more front drive than rear drive (dragging)?
I run a 7mm split in tire size which just barely overdrives the front tires. The more front overdrive you run the more power on push you will have because the front tires will be spinning during acceleration. The car will be stable but it will push. Also with front overdrive, when you turn into a corner with throttle on and then lift you get a massive oversteer effect when you lift. Overdrive to the rear makes the car big time loose on power especially coming off of a turn but the car will really fly this way through a sweeper due to the back of the car being hung out.

I have an overdrive chart for the 960 that I will gladly share. It is an Excel spreadsheet. If you want this email me. It also has all of the drive ratios on it for the 2 speed.

[email protected]
Old 03-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #1994
Tech Master

any body know if scotty gray posted his set up for kissimmee?
Old 03-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #1995
Tech Initiate

if you want me to captian, i will post it here later on tonight.
scotty gray is offline   Reply With Quote