Old 08-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by michael 1
duneland, put the front swaybar back try 45. front shock mid. also try 1 mm
shim on front roll center this shoud give more steering at entry and mid corner

also try mounting the body a little more forward and less caster

on the rear a little more sway bar angle , ride ht 1 mm split between front and

rear( lower on front )
Tried most of that. Re-attaching the front bar removes steering. I have the body pretty far forward allready. I have tried more angle on rear bar, but going to far on that setting makes the car kind of sketchy. Looking to get more side-bite up front without sacrificing too much in rear. Will try some roll-center changes tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default 960 custom

Hi. here is some photos of my custom 960 ..
Old 08-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Default 960 custom

& a few more ..
Old 08-15-2006, 02:41 PM

very nice. you have given me some ideas
Old 08-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Default serpent 960

Thanks... If you get time check out the 200mm outlaw car I poasted to day ..
Old 08-15-2006, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

reminds me of the veteq with the side rails . nice work
Old 08-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by duneland
OK, maybe someone can point me in the right direction here. I will list my current set-up. I have not been able to get enough steering (mostly concerned with entry & apex).
Front;
50wt (serpent oil) 3 holes/red springs
lower hole on tower
Sway bar disconnected
Dynamic caster set-up (this helped some, would have to post pics but it reduces caster as suspension is compressed).
35sh Serpent/Jaco
Short wheelbase helped, but had to go back to long for exhaust clearance.
0mm roll center spacers
Rear;
50wt. 2 holes/blue springs
Upper hole on tower
20 degrees or so sway bar
38sh Serpent/Jaco
middle roll center position for lower pins
I have adjusted toe & camber settings through the normal range.
I have also moved a bit of weight forward (1 once of lead to front of battery tray, LiPo battery behind the lead. Result is same weight as NiMh but slightly more forward).
The Jaco 38's test 2-3 points softer than the Jaco 35's! Will try 40 rear/35 front.
Any other ideas?
Duneland, what type of Caster are you running now? And what is your rear droop setting? If I was looking for more entry and apex with the current set-up, I might suggest that the car can't transfer weight to the front fast enough with 50wt oils and 2 holes in the rear. I also believe you might want to try more dynamic caster not less through the middle of the turn.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default mega zx21 ds II

i ran the engine sat at rev ad sunday at the club race I had some bad luck at the start i got hit and my ins box came off so i had to come in to reinstall the ins box. i will do beter next time. the engine is fast out of the box it is a good choice i made with the purchase . the car worked really well i needed harder tires i only had 40's it was a little soft i will try 42's next time .

bryon
Old 08-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bestindebt
i ran the engine sat at rev ad sunday at the club race I had some bad luck at the start i got hit and my ins box came off so i had to come in to reinstall the ins box. i will do beter next time. the engine is fast out of the box it is a good choice i made with the purchase . the car worked really well i needed harder tires i only had 40's it was a little soft i will try 42's next time .

bryon

man your pitman is fast.

HAHAHA
Old 08-16-2006, 06:09 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have also moved a bit of weight forward (1 once of lead to front of battery tray, LiPo battery behind the lead. Result is same weight as NiMh but slightly more forward).
..Any other ideas?
if i wanted to improve rotation i would consider moving the cg aft rather than forward. have you tried relocating the lead.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

avs- Adding the lead to the front of the tray, improved steering. Just not enough to suit me.
Darrint--Will try more holes &or lighter oil. The dynamic caster is achieved by installing ball studs on the upper arms (near the hinge-pin area) & another set of ball studs on the upper plate @ 45 deg. angle to the rear. Connect with a turnbuckle. All caster spacers are removed. As you get deeper into the corner & chassis roll increases, you get a reduction in caster. Increase or decrease the overall amount of caster by adjusting the turnbuckles. Dan Louis came up with the system. I got an immediate improvement in overall steering when I installed it (want more tho).
Will try adjusting roll-centers and shock pistons/oil today.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

avs- Adding the lead to the front of the tray, improved steering. Just not enough to suit me.
Darrint--Will try more holes &or lighter oil. The dynamic caster is achieved by installing ball studs on the upper arms (near the hinge-pin area) & another set of ball studs on the upper plate @ 45 deg. angle to the rear. Connect with a turnbuckle. All caster spacers are removed. As you get deeper into the corner & chassis roll increases, you get a reduction in caster. Increase or decrease the overall amount of caster by adjusting the turnbuckles. Dan Louis came up with the system. I got an immediate improvement in overall steering when I installed it (want more tho).
Any chance of posting a picture showing the area modified for dynamic caster? Sometimes a picture is worth a 1,000 words.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

you may also try the WOS steering blocks (the one we where using in the 950R)

Anyway, new rear lower arms will be available soon. Beside being stiffer, the difference will be the sway bar attachment point (more toward the wheel)

Paolo
Old 08-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks Paolo, I may have those blocks in stock. I'll order the new arms soon.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 960....-caster-003.jpg   Serpent 960....-caster-002.jpg  
Old 08-16-2006, 02:33 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

As you get deeper into the corner & chassis roll increases, you get a reduction in caster.
Don't you want MORE caster while going deeper into a corner instead?

I mean which way does the upper arm move while lifting the wheel, does it go forward?, so less caster angle of the wheel on the track?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.