R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5
Default Hpi RS4 2 nitro tranny

I have an hpi rs4 2 nitro and I want to install a two speed tranny. Since the tranny is discontinued, are there any similar trannys I can fabricate to make it work?
castandiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by castandiello View Post
I have an hpi rs4 2 nitro and I want to install a two speed tranny. Since the tranny is discontinued, are there any similar trannys I can fabricate to make it work?
If you can find an OFNA OB-4, the 2-speed transmission from that car was a complete fit on the RS4-2.
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 169
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by castandiello View Post
I have an hpi rs4 2 nitro and I want to install a two speed tranny. Since the tranny is discontinued, are there any similar trannys I can fabricate to make it work?
I have a few of the stock HPI 2 speeds and 1 ofna 2 speed for the HPI that Im willing to part with. Let me know if interested and make me an offer. I convert all of my RS4s to single speed but everyone I've ever purchased seems to come with a 2 speed.
__________________
100mph is easy (with batteries)
117mph nitro HPI Racer2
115mph gas FG
107mph twin nitro buggy
99.61mph nitro buggy (at ROSSA official event)
Gt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Tech Master
 
Geezatec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,460
Default

Stomershobbies.com Part#HPI86038 Hpi RS4 2 nitro tranny
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt100 View Post
I have a few of the stock HPI 2 speeds and 1 ofna 2 speed for the HPI that Im willing to part with. Let me know if interested and make me an offer. I convert all of my RS4s to single speed but everyone I've ever purchased seems to come with a 2 speed.
I assume your ofna 2-speed is from an OB-4?
castandiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
Stomershobbies.com Part#HPI86038 Hpi RS4 2 nitro tranny
That part number is for an RS4 3. The original RS4 2 tranny is HPI #A910.
castandiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
Geezatec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by castandiello View Post
That part number is for an RS4 3. The original RS4 2 tranny is HPI #A910.
Part# I gave includes 2sp tranny & Pinions. A910 is only 2sp Tranny flywheel. And for RS4.

Check out Stormer's Websight. Its what you asked for.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
Part# I gave includes 2sp tranny & Pinions. A910 is only 2sp Tranny flywheel. And for RS4.

Check out Stormer's Websight. Its what you asked for.
I checked that part 86038 and I noticed that the shaft doesn't take an e-clip but instead it has a semi half moon shaped. The type that would accept a drive cup joint. Which is part #72161. The RS4 2 version takes an e-clip! Something's not right!
castandiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 50
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

i have a new in package heavy duty 2 speed trans part #72516 for your nitro rs4 2. willing to sell if the price is right
gotumall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
Tech Master
 
Geezatec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by castandiello View Post
I checked that part 86038 and I noticed that the shaft doesn't take an e-clip but instead it has a semi half moon shaped. The type that would accept a drive cup joint. Which is part #72161. The RS4 2 version takes an e-clip! Something's not right!
If you really check the websight of Stormer'sHobbies. You'll see there are C-Clips laid out on the photo of 2sp Tranny. HPIz238 are the c-clip you are talking about. 13mm C-Clips, not E-clips and Stormer's do have in stock. Refer to HPI RS4 18SS that uses 2sp tranny, HPI websight. I prefer using 2sp tranny Stormer's has which they have, Part are discontinued. It tell you where you stand with the model.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:18 AM   #11
Tech Regular
 
meno1103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 420
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

You most definitely aren't looking for hpi part #86038, the only hpi 2 speed trans listed on stormer's website for use on rs4's. The clutch parts may be interchangeable but the shaft where the trans components rest will not accept the belt drive pulleys. You should consider buying a used one if you plan on using one yourself, since these parts have been discontinued for quite some time, a new in package trans sells for rather high prices. Even complete used trans go for around ~$70, whereas the 86038 complete trans for the rs4 3 goes for ~$60 new at stormer. I've 2 hpi nitro rs4 2's, and have recently checked into the same thing, and ended up catching a good used hd trans for for a little less than I anticipated.
__________________
HPI RS4 Rally/Pro/Nitro 2's, Traxxas Big Block Npede/Slash 4x4/Nitro 4-tec/E-maxx, Ofna JL10e, Kyosho Inferno GT2, Exotek R18II

Umm, what does overkill mean again?
meno1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meno1103 View Post
You most definitely aren't looking for hpi part #86038, the only hpi 2 speed trans listed on stormer's website for use on rs4's. The clutch parts may be interchangeable but the shaft where the trans components rest will not accept the belt drive pulleys. You should consider buying a used one if you plan on using one yourself, since these parts have been discontinued for quite some time, a new in package trans sells for rather high prices. Even complete used trans go for around ~$70, whereas the 86038 complete trans for the rs4 3 goes for ~$60 new at stormer. I've 2 hpi nitro rs4 2's, and have recently checked into the same thing, and ended up catching a good used hd trans for for a little less than I anticipated.
I noticed that! The shaft for the RS4 2 is the A830 and the #86038 RS4 3 uses the 72161. Thanks!
castandiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 169
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
Stomershobbies.com Part#HPI86038 Hpi RS4 2 nitro tranny
No. Actually back in the day, OFNA made a few after market parts for the rs4. One of those was a 2 speed. It was similar to one that went on a car OFNA had named the z10. Part number was 308-HPI.
__________________
100mph is easy (with batteries)
117mph nitro HPI Racer2
115mph gas FG
107mph twin nitro buggy
99.61mph nitro buggy (at ROSSA official event)
Gt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:41 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net