R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default Cost comparsion between 1/10 vs. 1/5

I am a basher I like to run my on road cars on parking lots for fun. I especially liked my 1/10 scale onroad cars because I had stuffed .18 & .21 in them . They were really fast. Then over the years the R-40, Nitro TC-3 were discontinued and parts were starting to get hard to find for them. Eventually they were all put in retirement because I could not find the parts to fix them!! I needed to buy another brand of car that had parts support. I purchased a V1RRR . It was a great car really fast with a MODIFIED OS .18 in it but parts and up- keep was too expensive. The V1RRR was designed for a smooth prepared race surface not a dusty unprepared parking lot surface which causes accelerated wear . So I retired the V1RRR. So I started looking for another parking lot basher . I ended up going 1/5 scale. I purchased a FG 4WD Sportline onroad. What caused me to purchase the 1/5 scale over 1/10?? If you purchase a V1RRR from Amain Hobbies it will cost you $770.00 + $400.00 for a decent motor + $90.00 for a starter box + $ 550.00 for a good radio + $30.00 for fuel grand total $1,840.00 dollars. For a 1/5 scale 4WD Sportline RTR from FG Modelsports Grand Total $1,340.95 , this includes a assembled car with radio and motor. A gallon of fuel for this car only cost $3.00 a gallon because it runs off of gas. A less than smooth surface does not up set this beast because it weights 20 pounds. My FG is my perfect parking lot basher!!
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:46 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
I am a basher I like to run my on road cars on parking lots for fun. I especially liked my 1/10 scale onroad cars because I had stuffed .18 & .21 in them . They were really fast. Then over the years the R-40, Nitro TC-3 were discontinued and parts were starting to get hard to find for them. Eventually they were all put in retirement because I could not find the parts to fix them!! I needed to buy another brand of car that had parts support. I purchased a V1RRR . It was a great car really fast with a MODIFIED OS .18 in it but parts and up- keep was too expensive. The V1RRR was designed for a smooth prepared race surface not a dusty unprepared parking lot surface which causes accelerated wear . So I retired the V1RRR. So I started looking for another parking lot basher . I ended up going 1/5 scale. I purchased a FG 4WD Sportline onroad. What caused me to purchase the 1/5 scale over 1/10?? If you purchase a V1RRR from Amain Hobbies it will cost you $770.00 + $400.00 for a decent motor + $90.00 for a starter box + $ 550.00 for a good radio + $30.00 for fuel grand total $1,840.00 dollars. For a 1/5 scale 4WD Sportline RTR from FG Modelsports Grand Total $1,340.95 , this includes a assembled car with radio and motor. A gallon of fuel for this car only cost $3.00 a gallon because it runs off of gas. A less than smooth surface does not up set this beast because it weights 20 pounds. My FG is my perfect parking lot basher!!
That car looks very cool.
I, like you, have both scales. Although mine is an F1 car, it is also 1/5th scale.

The comparison you point out is true in what you yourself have done and the cars you have bought and I whole heartedly agree with you, although .....

Remember you are comparing a race car made to race on smooth prepared tracks, your 1/10th scale Kyosho. Made for racing..... with a bottom of the line 1/5th scale car.
Although I must say, yours looks far better then a "bottom of the line" car sir!!
If you were to compare it to a top line 1/5th scale track car like Mecatech's FW-01. I think thats what its called it would be a different story.

http://rc-car-online.de/shop/en/prod...basic-kit.html

If you look at what you get for your money, you have alot to still buy but wow, what a car!!

Excelent job sir on a great looking car!

Regards,
BM
Old 11-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
Tech Master

British Menace Remember I am just a basher. The surfaces I run on are untreated parking lots so I needed a 1/5 scale car that had 4 wheel drive for maxium traction. The car you refered to is a race car but it does not have 4 wheel drive and should be run on a prepared surface. For me the FG Sportline is a bashers delight it handles great turns on a dime stops on a dime low maintance , the belt is enclosed so you don't have to worry about little rocks and pebbles getting into the driveline and destroying the system. My car is not stock over the last year I have put the following upgrades on my FG rear disc brakes, heavy duty 2 speed tranny, frt oneway diff adjustable rear diff and a OBR modified reed motor. With these modfications I can go into a turn without hardly letting off the throttle.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
British Menace Remember I am just a basher. The surfaces I run on are untreated parking lots so I needed a 1/5 scale car that had 4 wheel drive for maxium traction. The car you refered to is a race car but it does not have 4 wheel drive and should be run on a prepared surface. For me the FG Sportline is a bashers delight it handles great turns on a dime stops on a dime low maintance , the belt is enclosed so you don't have to worry about little rocks and pebbles getting into the driveline and destroying the system. My car is not stock over the last year I have put the following upgrades on my FG rear disc brakes, heavy duty 2 speed tranny, frt oneway diff adjustable rear diff and a OBR modified reed motor. With these modfications I can go into a turn without hardly letting off the throttle.
Sounds as though you have a really cool car man.
I have not put that much effort (or money) into my 1/5th scale F1. But it was already a "Competition Car" built to race on the track.
I do see what your saying on the 4 wheel drive and agree. With four wheel drive, bashing on low traction surfaces just works!
Since I have had my 1/5th scale, aside from the orignial purchase, running costs are far less then I thought.

The reason why I brought up the Mecatech was because you originally compared your 1/5th scale with the V1RRR which is top line 1/10th car built for racing on prep'd smooth tracks.
For bashing. We used to use something cheaper like the old OFNA Hyper 10. Infact they were a great car for the money. I raced the Hyper 10 Pro for a while when I first started going to tracks.

Regards
BM
Old 11-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Like you said though ...... parts get harder to find forcing you to upgrade eventually.

BM
Old 11-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Tech Master

And over here in the US there are very few clubs that have tracks for nitro or gas onroad cars to run on so you are limited to parking lots etc. Offroad is another story lots of offroad clubs with tracks. And where I live there are not any onroad clubs . To race I would have to travel out of town.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nitrohead,

In the grand scheme of things, 5th scale over a measured period will be cheaper on the wallet than racing 200TC or 8th scale pan can/8th scale GT. At one point in time, the upfront cost to get into 5th scale were higher but if you look at the new kits, engines, parts, tires, bodies, radio gear, etc. to get started in the 2 stroke classes, you will spend just as much as if not more as you would getting that base 4wd 5th scaler you have pictured, if you are going to get into the very competitive racing portion of the hobby. And, if you price an upgraded engine for your 5th scale for racing, it is hundreds of dollors cheaper than a race-competitive 2 stroke .12 or .21. The only drawback to racing 5th scale is that you need more space to run a group of them as compared to the smaller, 2-stroke classes.

Been thinking about getting a 5th scaler like the rig that you have. I think the cars are cool and love the run times per tank as well as the cheaper pricing for fuel (2-stroke fuel now pushing up to $30/gal for some brands). Plus, you can get a kick-a$$ engine for a 5th scale car way cheaper than for a 2-stroker as well as not having to fool with the foam tire/truing thing. Plus, the rubber tires last a long time on those cars (even longer if you are not competitive racing).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Tech Master

FG and Technokit are popular in ROAR Racing in the US. FG used in Bashing!!!
Just overkill. Mite as well go cheap Chinese 1/5 scale. Parts expensive when its aluminum. And yes, the do bend. Upgrading to a Zenoah engine, top on the line. Its up to you. Suprized that are no clubs at the Indy Raceway. There is in Homestead,FL!!!! FG is as much to upgrade like a Model plane, over $2100+. Go off-Road with HPI is cheaper.
Gas is cheaper than Nitro. $3.00 for regular, $11 for a Qt of nitro!!!lol!!

Its a hobby, it makes us happy. Just have fun.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Tech Master

Geeztec I have had only one nylon part to fail me on my FG and that happen when I put the modified OBR motor in. It was one of the engine mounts replaced it with a alloy one. But I am only going to replace the nylon parts that fail with alloy.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Tech Master

Geeztech , Indy is dead no onroad nitro clubs .
Old 11-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
Tech Master

JLock what surprised me was how fast my car was stock out the box!! I hope this video from youtube post, it is an excellent example of the typical crummy parking lot surface I have to run on . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VQ8JaVa9Gk

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 11-08-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
JLock what surprised me was how fast my car was stock out the box!! I hope this video from youtube post, it is an excellent example of the typical crummy parking lot surface I have to run on . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VQ8JaVa9Gk
Thanks for the video. Yes, it is pretty quick for box stock. I would like to have a touring car like yours and one of the F1 chassis cars. I love the look of the FG 5th scale F1 cars.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
Tech Master

FG does make some really nice bodies. The FG Sportline 4 wd is a Parking lot Basher's Delight!!
Old 11-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #14
Tech Elite

I know just how you feel nitrohead5300 I am in a similar position in so far as tracks.
I'm in Iowa, 2.5 hours from our nrearest onroad track out at Leisurehours Raceway. Although saying that ..... its such a great place its well worth the trip.
So I, like you, are resigned to mostly driving the cars I have on parking lots just like in your video.

All this talk of 1/5th scale is making me want to get the F1 out and give it a run
I am in the middel of building my GT at the moment though. Will see.

Regards
BM
Old 11-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #15
Tech Master

You live in Iowa ?? You are right you better take your cars out and run them now before it gets too cold. The rubber tires on my Fg don't grip very well when the temp drops down past 60 degrees.