R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #46
Tech Apprentice

Everything JLock says about the 5th scales is true, I have a 2wd sportline that I have taken to Comp spec's, and these cars are amazing.Engine break in took about an hour just running around at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and then just a little touch on the high needle and my car was set, starts on 3-4 pulls on the starter. I'm still running the original tires and have had no need to use any of the GRP tires I have set aside,oh and a set of tires are about 40.00 bucks. I suggest soft for the front and super soft for the rear. Juan, I hope you get your FG soon, you are going to enjoy it. Can anyone see 5th scale GT racing as a possible class in the USA?, all you need is a big parking lot. Have fun guys!
oskygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #47
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You proud owners could spice up this thread by posting some pics of your hot rods.
Mugen MBX7T ECO (Truggy)
SMC, Max Amps, LRP, Poseidon Motors, Cordova Research Motors, Xceed.
Evo 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #48
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

So 4wd is what most classes run? I do like F1 too.. are those popular?

I do want to race.. I may be willing to spend a little extra to get a nicer ride.

I should probably goto a race, I live in Los Angeles and I know of at least one group that races but I haven't been to that track in 5+ years.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #49
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Also, what are the differences between STC and GT?
Old 11-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #50
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
dflat,

When you look at getting a 8th scale pan (Lola) car, you have to get foam tires which also consists of getting a tire truer. During a normal race weekend, you go through 3 or 4 sets at about $40 to $80 a pop. You normally get the body (flavor) of the month at least two to three times a race season. To get a competition-level engine to keep up with much of your competition, you will spend at least $600+. Also, you can only run a pan-style 8th scale on a prepped, asphalt track. Fuel to run the car is anywhere from $17 to $35 per gallon.

When you look at getting a 5th scale, it uses rubber tires in which you might use a set or two a year (no foams or truing). The bodies may be expensive but are stylish, current, and have replacable front and rear ends so you don't have to replace the entire body unless you want to. Most of the competition-level engines are less than $600 (one website, they averaged between $250 and $375). You can run the car on almost any flat surface (prepped or not). And, your fuel cost are whatever the price of 87 octane Unleaded and $2 to $5 for a pint of 2-stroke oil to mix with the fuel. Plus, the average run time per tank is 30 to 40 minutes.

So, take a period of time and averagae out the costs and you will see that operating a 5th scale even if you race it religiously will not cost as much as racing a 8th scale pan over the same period. There are many other things that make a 5th scaler more cost beneficial in the longer run but to me, the main thing is that they are cool as sh**!!!
Where are you buying 1/8th scale tires at $40 to $80 a set? I never pay more than$30, and I only use 1 to 2 sets for a club race. Flavor of the month body? There's really only a couple bodies people use, it's either the Blitz R18 or Protoform R18 or 909, and the 909 has been out for about 3 years. Engines aren't that expensive either, usually around $300 to $500, there's no need for the more expensive ones, most of us can't handle the extra power. You're spewing out a lot of bad information about this class of racing. Have you ever raced this class?
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
Where are you buying 1/8th scale tires at $40 to $80 a set? I never pay more than$30, and I only use 1 to 2 sets for a club race. Flavor of the month body? There's really only a couple bodies people use, it's either the Blitz R18 or Protoform R18 or 909, and the 909 has been out for about 3 years. Engines aren't that expensive either, usually around $300 to $500, there's no need for the more expensive ones, most of us can't handle the extra power. You're spewing out a lot of bad information about this class of racing. Have you ever raced this class?
Yes, I race 8th scale pan for 2 straight years with my Mugen MRX-4R that I still own. Just because you can get stuff cheaper where you live doesn't mean that everyone can. In one of the LHS that has a track here in Texas, if you buy a set of tires off the shelf and add taxes to it, they cost you about $44-$48 on average (which puts it between my listed price range). Yes, when a new body comes out for the car, it is the "flavor of the time" and hardly anyone uses the previous one afterwards. And to race with the guys I was running with, you hit the track with an engine in that price range, you can seriously get you butt handed to you (most of our top guys are running modded engines that are within the price range I listed). Look, I have nothing against 8th scale pan, but if you race regularly, the initial cost and subsequent cost to race can get pricey for most that don't have some sort of sponsorship.

Now, can we get back to talking about 5th scale cars on this thread. I can here that FG Touring and F1 calling my name!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Yes, I race 8th scale pan for 2 straight years with my Mugen MRX-4R that I still own. Just because you can get stuff cheaper where you live doesn't mean that everyone can. In one of the LHS that has a track here in Texas, if you buy a set of tires off the shelf and add taxes to it, they cost you about $44-$48 on average (which puts it between my listed price range). Yes, when a new body comes out for the car, it is the "flavor of the time" and hardly anyone uses the previous one afterwards. And to race with the guys I was running with, you hit the track with an engine in that price range, you can seriously get you butt handed to you (most of our top guys are running modded engines that are within the price range I listed). Look, I have nothing against 8th scale pan, but if you race regularly, the initial cost and subsequent cost to race can get pricey for most that don't have some sort of sponsorship.

Now, can we get back to talking about 5th scale cars on this thread. I can here that FG Touring and F1 calling my name!!!
Like I said, I never pay more than $30 a set, and I don't have a LHS that carries them. I buy them straight off Desoto Racing, without any discounts. IF you're paying that much for them you're being robed, you need to shop around
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #53
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

I am loving thw low cost of fuel and the mileage of my redcat chimera. it looks awesome too.
mattjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #54
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagcisco View Post
So 4wd is what most classes run? I do like F1 too.. are those popular?

I do want to race.. I may be willing to spend a little extra to get a nicer ride.

I should probably goto a race, I live in Los Angeles and I know of at least one group that races but I haven't been to that track in 5+ years.
Check out some of the posted 5th scale F1 racing videos on youtube. You will definitely want one after watching!!!
Old 11-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #55
Tech Master

My FG is really easy to start I put a Killer RC powerstarter on my motor and it is great !! Usually fires up on the first turn over. And the powerstart put very, very little rotational mass on the engine. I really like it.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #56
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
My FG is really easy to start I put a Killer RC powerstarter on my motor and it is great !! Usually fires up on the first turn over. And the powerstart put very, very little rotational mass on the engine. I really like it.
Any photos of the powerstarter? I'd like to check it out.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #57
Tech Master

I will post some pictures of it later tonight.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #58
Tech Master

But here is a picture of my wifes car a MCD.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
But here is a picture of my wifes car a MCD.
Cool!!! That's what I'm talking about!! Jonesing for one already.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #60
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
You are so correct with the things you are saying. I am currently building a Serpent Cobra GT and you wouldn't believe the cost of putting with together.

Kit - $600
Engine - $500
Pipe and manifold - $150
Receiver - $120

I still don't have a body, starter box, two servos or tires.

I also bought upgraded parts and screw set in cost of $191. You do the math.....