R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
Speed was not the selling point with me as far as 5th scale is concerned. What attracted me was the true scale realism of the bodies, the size (can see it better at a distance), the sound, and the long-a$$ run time per tank. Once I saw a race with about a dozen of them in Florida back in the late 90s, I was hooked. Whether you race or bash one, a 5th scale is still a cool car to have in your r/c arsenal.
+1 on that point!

BM
Old 11-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I appreciate the feedback. I too was initially attracted to 1/5 scale for many of same reasons pointed out. In particular, the realism of the bodies and engine sound. You guys running the competition kits or the sportsline?
Mugen MBX7T ECO (Truggy)
SMC, Max Amps, LRP, Poseidon Motors, Cordova Research Motors, Xceed.
Evo 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo 13 View Post
I appreciate the feedback. I too was initially attracted to 1/5 scale for many of same reasons pointed out. In particular, the realism of the bodies and engine sound. You guys running the competition kits or the sportsline?
I don't have one yet. It appears that nitro's car is a sportsline model. I hope to have one in my r/c stable by this time next year (got to save those pennies).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #34
Tech Master

EVo13 I am running the Sportline 4wd like JLock pointed out. I knew I would be running mostly on unprepared parking lot surfaces . To get the traction I knew I would need to drive on the unprepared surfaces I went with 4 wheel drive. Because of the superior traction you get from 4wd I can run on just about any parking lot.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic

I'm with you Jlock; Your gonna pay to enjoy these cars!!

Nice car Nitrohead, I saw you ripping up that parking lot on the video.
Mugen MBX7T ECO (Truggy)
Old 11-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #36
Tech Master

That was not me . That was a video I found on youtube. My car is white that car was red. And my car is a lot faster!!

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 11-16-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #37
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Great. Now you guys have me wanting a 1/5. I was going to do a 1/8 on road, but my mind has changed.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflat57 View Post
Great. Now you guys have me wanting a 1/5. I was going to do a 1/8 on road, but my mind has changed.
dflat,

When you look at getting a 8th scale pan (Lola) car, you have to get foam tires which also consists of getting a tire truer. During a normal race weekend, you go through 3 or 4 sets at about $40 to $80 a pop. You normally get the body (flavor) of the month at least two to three times a race season. To get a competition-level engine to keep up with much of your competition, you will spend at least $600+. Also, you can only run a pan-style 8th scale on a prepped, asphalt track. Fuel to run the car is anywhere from $17 to $35 per gallon.

When you look at getting a 5th scale, it uses rubber tires in which you might use a set or two a year (no foams or truing). The bodies may be expensive but are stylish, current, and have replacable front and rear ends so you don't have to replace the entire body unless you want to. Most of the competition-level engines are less than $600 (one website, they averaged between $250 and $375). You can run the car on almost any flat surface (prepped or not). And, your fuel cost are whatever the price of 87 octane Unleaded and $2 to $5 for a pint of 2-stroke oil to mix with the fuel. Plus, the average run time per tank is 30 to 40 minutes.

So, take a period of time and averagae out the costs and you will see that operating a 5th scale even if you race it religiously will not cost as much as racing a 8th scale pan over the same period. There are many other things that make a 5th scaler more cost beneficial in the longer run but to me, the main thing is that they are cool as sh**!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #39
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
dflat,

When you look at getting a 8th scale pan (Lola) car, you have to get foam tires which also consists of getting a tire truer. During a normal race weekend, you go through 3 or 4 sets at about $40 to $80 a pop. You normally get the body (flavor) of the month at least two to three times a race season. To get a competition-level engine to keep up with much of your competition, you will spend at least $600+. Also, you can only run a pan-style 8th scale on a prepped, asphalt track. Fuel to run the car is anywhere from $17 to $35 per gallon.

When you look at getting a 5th scale, it uses rubber tires in which you might use a set or two a year (no foams or truing). The bodies may be expensive but are stylish, current, and have replacable front and rear ends so you don't have to replace the entire body unless you want to. Most of the competition-level engines are less than $600 (one website, they averaged between $250 and $375). You can run the car on almost any flat surface (prepped or not). And, your fuel cost are whatever the price of 87 octane Unleaded and $2 to $5 for a pint of 2-stroke oil to mix with the fuel. Plus, the average run time per tank is 30 to 40 minutes.

So, take a period of time and averagae out the costs and you will see that operating a 5th scale even if you race it religiously will not cost as much as racing a 8th scale pan over the same period. There are many other things that make a 5th scaler more cost beneficial in the longer run but to me, the main thing is that they are cool as sh**!!!
AND as much as I love nitro, they can be hard to tune. I almost forgot about glow plugs and start boxes.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

This thread is making me want to buy a 5th scale.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #41
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

5th scale gas engines are less finicky than nitro I assume? I hated that part.. tuning.. turned me off.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #42
Tech Master

Gas engines are not as FINICKY as the nitro motors easier to breakin and in general last a lot longer than a nitro motor. I have a gas motor that is 3 years old and still has alot of compression and is still fast.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Even though I don't have one at the moment, use to have a couple of friends that owned FGs a few years back. Got a chance to drive one (before that started making onroad 4wd models) and that is what got me totally hooked. Long-term costs in owning one is way less than a 200mm TC or 8th scale Lola. Can't wait to get one in 2014 (new, used or any combination). Starting my "finally get that 5th scale" fund as we speak.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #44
Tech Master

Good for you JLock.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #45
Tech Fanatic

Hey my bad Nitrohead, thought that was you in the vid.

Jlock -you know your stuff bro. Your gonna really enjoy that FG when you get it!
Mugen MBX7T ECO (Truggy)