R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-03-2001, 10:52 AM   #31
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

mags tell me that...after putting after run oil inside the engine...i could dump out any extra oil...but with how? with the pipe connected and stuff!
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 07:48 PM   #32
Tech Regular

if you have a leaky motor bearing while you r driving this isn't normal. sure, maybe a drop of oil or two but not what you described. my old 15fe used to be like this. it isn't normal. put about 8 or 9 drops of afterrun oil then spin the flywheel without the glowplug on. it shouldn't leak if you put around 10 drops or less.

also to get rid of excess oil tak the pipe of and turn the engine upside down and just spin the fly wheel without the glowplug on.

isn't a leaky bearing a sign that the engine may need a rebuild or is slightly worn out?
ozzyNEOdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 03:49 AM   #33
Tech Elite

The brown stuff ozzy was seeing in the new RB was most likely dried up assembly oil from the factory. The glow plug looks dark brown also when you break in from being rich.

You can use denatured alcohol to clean the engine. It doesn't contain any water.

You can also use ATF (automatic transmission fluid) as after run oil also.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 06:28 AM   #34
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Sydewynder
The brown stuff ozzy was seeing in the new RB was most likely dried up assembly oil from the factory. The glow plug looks dark brown also when you break in from being rich.

yeah i think it might of been this cuz if it was rust the engine would of been dead by now. yet it flys, so it must of been assembly oil or something.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:21 AM   #35
Regional Moderator

haha...i didnt put drops...i kinda like...SQUEEZED the oil in...say..about 20-30 drops...hehehe....
Old 10-07-2001, 04:45 AM   #36
Regional Moderator

i want to know what % of fuel do you use for MT12? ppl say that if you use higher then 20%, you need to add spacers....some say to use 30% for the engine cuz nitro fuel is cold, and would help cool down then engine!
Old 10-07-2001, 07:15 AM   #37
Tech Regular

Default regarding fuel nitro etc

the more nitro the cooler the engine? no way man, nitro burns the hottest, it will make your engine hotter. you also need a cooler plug the more nitro %. if you want cool run 5%

don't go higher than 20% anymore isn't needed.

plus remember that you won't notice a diff if you increase by 5%

just stick with 15 or 16% type nitro mixtures and use degummed "klotz" racing castor oil. your engine is probably overheating cuz it has a nice and burnt layer of castor oil residue in the motor. take it apart, clean the castor oil varnish it WILL have stuck everywere in the engine, put together, add after run, spin then run with klotz degummed. DONE .
Old 10-07-2001, 08:24 AM   #38
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: regarding fuel nitro etc

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzyNEOdriver
the more nitro the cooler the engine? no way man, nitro burns the hottest, it will make your engine hotter. you also need a cooler plug the more nitro %. if you want cool run 5%

just stick with 15 or 16% type nitro mixtures and use degummed "klotz" racing castor oil. your engine is probably overheating cuz it has a nice and burnt layer of castor oil residue in the motor. take it apart, clean the castor oil varnish it WILL have stuck everywere in the engine, put together, add after run, spin then run with klotz degummed. DONE .
I have all the way run my MT12T with 30% and it has gone through more the 6 gallons of fuel. The engine has no leaking, no sign of performance deterioation. I can always start up the engine less then a second on the start box. I have no idea what kind of trouble you've got with fuel more then 20% of nitro.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 08:30 AM   #39
Regional Moderator

Default Re: regarding fuel nitro etc

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzyNEOdriver

i took the engine apart quite a lot of times to clean it..and it always so clean that theres absolutly no oil left in the engine..then i re-lub everything...but then....it always over heat....i dont think is the "burnt layer" you mentioned thats causing all these...i think its just my tuning skills is not good..thats y i want to know how to tune it!

and your saying that its because the castor oil is causing all this...well...all nitro fuel contains some sort of castor oil...so..your sujesting me that to take apart the engine every runn and clean it?

Last edited by disaster999; 10-07-2001 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-07-2001, 08:47 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: regarding fuel nitro etc

it's just that when you go past 20% you are really running a engine with fuel that isnt recommended. (rb suggests 20% i believe)

yeah, all fuels have castor oil but not all oils are created equal, or should i say oils aint oils. you've got the normal castor oil which is NOT degummed then you have degummed castor oil. this is called klotz racing castor oil.

also, next time you take the engine totally apart (don't do this too often as you loosen everything and kind of create small little airholes. not becouse you put it together wrong but becouse every screw etc gets that little bit biger each time you unscrew it or take it out etc) check weather you have a film of like light brown stuff. this is dryed out castor oil. you probably don't have it thouh if you clean it heaps.

Last edited by ozzyNEOdriver; 10-07-2001 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-07-2001, 08:49 AM   #41
Regional Moderator

then is odonnell fuel degummed or not?

im using that...or should i which to trinity red fuel?
Old 10-07-2001, 08:59 AM   #42
Tech Regular

Default fuel

i don't know wether trinity or odonnell use degummed. i don't think this fuel is available in oz.

have you tried using jungle jooze (it's popular in oz not sure if it is available were you are)

or how about rb fuel? concept fuel.
Old 10-07-2001, 09:07 AM   #43
Regional Moderator

nope...never tried those!
Old 10-07-2001, 09:17 AM   #44
Regional Moderator

what about the spacers on the engine? how many mm do you put?
Old 10-07-2001, 12:26 PM   #45
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
Originally posted by Disaster999
what about the spacers on the engine? how many mm do you put?
hey 999, it seems like you take care of your engine pretty well, there are a few things affect the engine temp, in fact my friend has a RB C12 engine and he has been having trouble getting the perfomance he wants and the temp of the engine is kind of high. so he pretty much strip the car down and redo a few things.

1. make sure your drivetrain has not drag,(fiction cost by too high tention on belts, all bearings are lubed and can spin freely) because it creats a lot of load on the engine and Load=Hot.
2. you might want to retune the engine starting with idle screw then bottom end then highend, lots of ppl saying should do the highend first but there are also a few ppl mentioned to do the bottom end first and I found tuning the bottom end first make more sense. It's like a graph, if your bottom end is too lean then it will affect the highend big time.

Now a real life example that my friend has, he retune the bottom end make sure it's not too fat and could idle at lease for a good 2 minutes then gas it and it wont die due to too much fuel flooded the carb. Of course there are much more smoke coming out of the pipe after idle for 2 mins, but the engine sounds much better and can handle the idle.
after that then highend, adjust it accordingly with your temp gun, I was told Novarossi engine best performance temp range is between 255 to 265.

Try it see if it works! Just my theory!
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote