R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #106
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by *1speedy View Post
Off Road choices for GT are fairly clear(at least for me). The Bonito 7 port and Keep off 7 port are IMO the cream of the crop because of the grunt and high rpm's needed. Never had a OS Speed keep up to my Bonito in a GT car but still a good choice. The Bonito is a 350 right now and may be a little cheaper before summer comes

As for .28 are concerned the Nova Plus .28 5T is 199.99 and a very good engine and the Nova Plus .28 7T is basically an untamable animal and is 289.99 also the RB V12 Blast is getting a lot of hype lately for big power at a really great price. http://www.clockworkracingengines.co...01013-blastv12

Saw 2 reds off road engines run at Port Jervis last summer and they both had catastrophic failures with less then a gallon of fuel so that's not a good sign... Maybe a bad run who knows... I would be careful

Lots of really good 5 ports available including the new Hudy FX engine and many others

Absolute Hobbyz has the largest selection that I know of by far take a look.

Happy Hunting

http://www.absolutehobbyz.com/index.php?cPath=12_48

I agree the Novas you mentioned should be the most popular motors, I have run OS Speed engines and they are great. They do not have the same RPM as the Bonito or the Keep Off but they are very reliable and are designed to run with 6mm restrictors so tunning wont be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Overall....I am very welcome about the ROAR rule. It is about time for them to draw up the rule for US and have the event organizer to adopt, or use with some modification.

Why we need kick up........? Because that is GT suppose to be. GT suppose to be whole bunch of nitro buggy strapped on some on road tires and on road body and run with pull start engine. THAT IS GT..........(I am currently running the DM1 spec and I don't see my car has any advantage but I do agreed if there is a chassis that I can use with kick up, I will get it work within the rule..)

Why only buggy engine...? Because that is GT suppose to be...back then, suppose to be the PULL START RTR engine...back then, don't even have 2-speed gear box. Also, Buggy engine are cheaper...more affordable.

The only problem I have with the general GT rules (not ROAR) are the open engine idea.......especially allowing those high end ON ROAD engine using on these ON ROAD WANNABE GT car and go fast. Getting these GT car running the same lap time as 200mm TC is just STUPID...they never will and they never need to...........simple go run 200mm TC and it will be accomplished without spending crazy money on chassis and engine.

I heard some ppl saying they want their GT to run as fast as the 200mm TC....that is almost impossible unless he is comparing some slow 200mm TC driver vs the fastest GT they can ever do.

If speed is what they want to follow...go run 1/8th on road. And buy the high end engine and at least use it on the right chassis.

I do have a concern about the ROAR GT body rule...it is almost impossible to buy any licensed short form GT body now....I wish I can still get the Kyosho 350Z or the Aston Martin, a beated up, used, and dirty one might still cost about $50 on the bay....
I agree as well with you but the engine rules are not open. They say off road motors only. So no mega $$$ onroad motors will be allowed. Anyways the OS Speed is almost $500 and it is an off road motor so price point is the issue. Werks B5 is another awsome choice if one is looking for a more budget friendly option.

The bodies rule is a little tricky since licenced bodies are more expensive and harder to find for the short chassis. For me as long as it resembles a posible road/race car then it is ok. When I go to a ROAR race then I will follow the rules as for now our track has a rules package that we feel is still very good and keeps everyone in the game.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Overall....I am very welcome about the ROAR rule. It is about time for them to draw up the rule for US and have the event organizer to adopt, or use with some modification.

Why we need kick up........? Because that is GT suppose to be. GT suppose to be whole bunch of nitro buggy strapped on some on road tires and on road body and run with pull start engine. THAT IS GT..........(I am currently running the DM1 spec and I don't see my car has any advantage but I do agreed if there is a chassis that I can use with kick up, I will get it work within the rule..)

Why only buggy engine...? Because that is GT suppose to be...back then, suppose to be the PULL START RTR engine...back then, don't even have 2-speed gear box. Also, Buggy engine are cheaper...more affordable.

The only problem I have with the general GT rules (not ROAR) are the open engine idea.......especially allowing those high end ON ROAD engine using on these ON ROAD WANNABE GT car and go fast. Getting these GT car running the same lap time as 200mm TC is just STUPID...they never will and they never need to...........simple go run 200mm TC and it will be accomplished without spending crazy money on chassis and engine.

I heard some ppl saying they want their GT to run as fast as the 200mm TC....that is almost impossible unless he is comparing some slow 200mm TC driver vs the fastest GT they can ever do.

If speed is what they want to follow...go run 1/8th on road. And buy the high end engine and at least use it on the right chassis.

I do have a concern about the ROAR GT body rule...it is almost impossible to buy any licensed short form GT body now....I wish I can still get the Kyosho 350Z or the Aston Martin, a beated up, used, and dirty one might still cost about $50 on the bay....
It's amazing to me how this thread has developed.

Now we aren't just talking about ROAR Rules, you are talking about dictating what individuals should be racing.

The simple fact that you call GT racers STUPID for wanting to make their cars fast or faster shows your character with everyone else that agrees with you.

Has it not dawned on you that if GT racers wanted to race 1/10 or 1/8 OPEN they would have already??

I race both GT and 1/10. I follow the rules set by the event I CHOOSE to attend. Nothing else.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #108
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (98%+)

My opinion is to have one Open class and one spec class
This is what IGT8F has implemented

Open GT8 should have an open selection for motors to be a truly Open class
Limiting the motors to offroad buggy motors with a limited price will only make it more difficult for more racers to get into GT racing. Having 3 port motors will not make this a conducive class to get into. It's like having a $200 motor limit to 1/8 scale racing.

I don't expect Gt cars to go as fast and as quick as the 1/8 and 1/10 because the physics and characteristic of this class is different. It is like racing a real car because of the rolling on corners with the rubber tires. Having the fastest most expensive motor will not make you win, it is still setup and driver skills. And the rubber tires are the limiting factor for speed. Unlike the foam 1/8 and 1/10 where throttle steering and drifting is a must and a powerful motor will be a benefit.

ROAR is there to have a standard for GT8 racing. It will still depend on the track and the series on what limits to put on their races. I hope ROAR will be dynamic in this and allow changes on the fly. I can still remember the LIPO debacle few years back where it took them a long time to accept the cost effective and efficient LIPOS
DRRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #109
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

not to mention blinky racing

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #110
Tech Regular

SO MY BIG QUESTION IS ????? WILL MY TRUSTY RB 11 RALLY .21 MOTOR BE BANNED FROM A ROAR EVENT...I LOVE THE RALLY MOTORS..WAS ABOUT TO BUY THE NOVAROSSI KAPPO RALLY .21 FROM MY PEEPS AT DESOTO : ( ...SO WHATS THE LAST WORD ON RALLY MOTORS ?
Old 11-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #111
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylunatic View Post
It's amazing to me how this thread has developed.

Now we aren't just talking about ROAR Rules, you are talking about dictating what individuals should be racing.

The simple fact that you call GT racers STUPID for wanting to make their cars fast or faster shows your character with everyone else that agrees with you.

Has it not dawned on you that if GT racers wanted to race 1/10 or 1/8 OPEN they would have already??

I race both GT and 1/10. I follow the rules set by the event I CHOOSE to attend. Nothing else.
Now you are just simply calling me off and saying I told everyone that raced GT (including me) stupid............I am only addressing the rule that ROAR made is at the right direction. You do not like the way ROAR saying only BUGGY ENGINE allowed.......then you can run the rule that allow $600 on road engine on the GT.

I am saying, the GT class need to define its position.......a clear different between 200mm and 1/8th OPEN. We do not need another 1/8th OPEN class with short wheel base, buggy platform, weird looking TC body and can run on $600 modified on road engine........also, that is not FAST at all, it might be faster then the other GT using a $300 buggy engine, but you know why you are faster....

What is next.....? Foam tires...? 3 belts TC conversion in 1/8th scale..? Lola type body...?

Someone has to drop the hammer on the rule...and ROAR at least do spend their time, collect ideas and draft the 1st draft of rule...........
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #112
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Now you are just simply calling me off and saying I told everyone that raced GT (including me) stupid............I am only addressing the rule that ROAR made is at the right direction. You do not like the way ROAR saying only BUGGY ENGINE allowed.......then you can run the rule that allow $600 on road engine on the GT.

I am saying, the GT class need to define its position.......a clear different between 200mm and 1/8th OPEN. We do not need another 1/8th OPEN class with short wheel base, buggy platform, weird looking TC body and can run on $600 modified on road engine........also, that is not FAST at all, it might be faster then the other GT using a $300 buggy engine, but you know why you are faster....

What is next.....? Foam tires...? 3 belts TC conversion in 1/8th scale..? Lola type body...?

Someone has to drop the hammer on the rule...and ROAR at least do spend their time, collect ideas and draft the 1st draft of rule...........
Ummmm...you have no idea what you're talking about and you've contradicted yourself several times. Please stop posting until you at least understand the difference between GT and TC at a bear minimum. Apples and oranges only work in fruit salad.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #113
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yb2fast View Post
SO MY BIG QUESTION IS ????? WILL MY TRUSTY RB 11 RALLY .21 MOTOR BE BANNED FROM A ROAR EVENT...I LOVE THE RALLY MOTORS..WAS ABOUT TO BUY THE NOVAROSSI KAPPO RALLY .21 FROM MY PEEPS AT DESOTO : ( ...SO WHATS THE LAST WORD ON RALLY MOTORS ?
I'm not sure on the RB, but the Kappo is based on the on road engine with a different head. I have two, like them but will run something else in the ROAR class. Probably the same engine as the IGT8F spec class, with a 6mm restrictor. I'll run the Kappo in the IGT8F open class.
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #114
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
Ummmm...you have no idea what you're talking about and you've contradicted yourself several times. Please stop posting until you at least understand the difference between GT and TC at a bear minimum. Apples and oranges only work in fruit salad.
Actually what he is saying is that there are 2 open classes dedicated to absolute speed right now and nothing more "hobbyist" oriented to encourage more participation. Sedan was supposed to be that class and it is pretty much mini 1/8 at this point.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #115
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Actually what he is saying is that there are 2 open classes dedicated to absolute speed right now and nothing more "hobbyist" oriented to encourage more participation. Sedan was supposed to be that class and it is pretty much mini 1/8 at this point.
+1

You are absolutely correct about what 200mm TC was suppose to be at its inception. When GT first started being run in a few areas, going "balls out" was not what many envisioned for this class. That is what 8th scale pan car (Lola) was suppose to represent. When a few put some rules together and noticed that some of the RTR engines where frequently failing, many adopted the low-cost buggy engines as a viable alternative to the RTR engine. It made for some close, fun racing because many of the first buggy-based engines lists made had engines that were similar in specs, so no racer has an advantage engine-wise over the others. Once the engine rule was opened up to mods and onroad variants, now you have a 8th scale light class. To try to compete now can run you into $1200+ range just between kit and engine; a far cry from the $300-$600 that it use to cost to run GT back in the day.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #116
Tech Master

I can only speak for myself, my organization and It's supporters.

Let's keep it simple.

First let me explain what GT/GT cars means to us.
-Realistic bodies or cars that anyone can relate too. (by first site)
-Realistic car mechanics (shafts and differentials)
-Realism in racing (rubber tires and the way the cars handle)
And simple to follow RULES & CLASSES!!

We all understand there is 1/10TC & 1/8 OPEN. But those cars have nothing related to GT. Simply in the fact they race with Foam tires and the bodies don't resemble real cars.

I will never race 1/8 OPEN for that fact that they are ugly to me. Even if the go 200mph!!

To JLock, I understand the history of the class and what it's vision was back in day. But the truth is the class has evolved, and those times have changed.
Your point in keeping the class affordable and easy to follow, to attract newbies is a key foundation to our "SPEC" and now "JUNIOR" class.

You think the Reds R5-IGT8F "SPEC" motor combo just appeared. That was a 6 month process, getting them to lower their price and sell as a combo. IGT8F is working with many companies to lower their prices on products to make racing more affordable for everyone.

Now to stay clear on point, Rules made for classes by any organization are made, intended and in forced for ONLY those willing and able to participate in those classes.

I run 1/10TC I follow ROAR/IFMAR RULES at those events, if I choose to participate.

I'm sure ROAR knows what direction they want to steer their GT8 Class and that is PERFECTLY fine.

But IGT8F also knows and understands what our goals, plans and visions are for the GT class, On-Road racing and the RC industry.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #117
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
+1

You are absolutely correct about what 200mm TC was suppose to be at its inception. When GT first started being run in a few areas, going "balls out" was not what many envisioned for this class. That is what 8th scale pan car (Lola) was suppose to represent. When a few put some rules together and noticed that some of the RTR engines where frequently failing, many adopted the low-cost buggy engines as a viable alternative to the RTR engine. It made for some close, fun racing because many of the first buggy-based engines lists made had engines that were similar in specs, so no racer has an advantage engine-wise over the others. Once the engine rule was opened up to mods and onroad variants, now you have a 8th scale light class. To try to compete now can run you into $1200+ range just between kit and engine; a far cry from the $300-$600 that it use to cost to run GT back in the day.
My bad fella's. Was misunderstanding what he was saying.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #118
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
My bad fella's. Was misunderstanding what he was saying.
No problems man. With the way some of the GT arguments have gone over the years, it is easy to misunderstand what someone is saying. The ROAR rules aren't perfect and most of are sure that a few things will be amended along the way. They have established their outline to build upon which is what some have wanted from them for a few years.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #119
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
+1

Nothing directed to you JLock, just needed to point out your correct.

Out of the $1200+ range, the most popular kit is the Serpent Cobra cost new $530-$600. So your right on point.

IGT8F created the "SPEC" long chassis only to help bring initial cost down and revive the initial GT chassis. You can pick up a Kyosho, Ofna, etc. LONG CHASSIS pretty cheap used or new. Since I am one to lead by example here is my current car kit price $469.99 and additional $50 off coupon so $419.99 total
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCVYE&P=ML

This is the exact car I have raced twice now just Team C branded. Its 100% bone stock not one upgrade, haven't change one thing even setup since built.
It runs the Reds R5-IGT8F motor combo. So $280+419.99=$699.99 for motor and car.
This car has raced against all IGT8F OPEN/PRO drivers with Serpent Cobras with every kind of stock or Modded motors.

I placed 2nd with it at the ROAR REGION 9 Race and 1st at the first IGT8F Winter Series Race in Open /Pro class.
Also have to mention this car ran double classes at the Winter Series. Marcus Jrs, car a Kyosho Gt2 broke during practice(no repairable) , I opted to let him race my car the "SPEC" and only car I had in the Junior class against Chads boy Blake running a full Serpent Cobra race car.

Marcus Jr ended up wining his class, too. The car was not touched all race day and hasn't been touch since.

My point is look at the Rules IGT8F has an Open/Pro class to accommodate those full racer speed freaks, a "Spec" class to attract newbies that maintains lower cost and fair racing and now a 12yr old and under class that promotes the future of this industry.

If you truly believe this is not a good direction for Gt that will actually allow and promote growth overall from racers, spectators, manufacturers and untapped resources.
I don't know what to really say.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #120
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
Well stated and I agree. So Fort Meyers Florida next November for the first ROAR national championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneg View Post
I like the rules just because to me they are simple. I have many buggy engines here so Im set on thet part and for the onroad specific engines I have 1/8 pan car so no waste. The flat chassis part depends completely on the "dot". I'm sure that ROAR will have no problem including any of the current flat chassis designs as a grandfather rule can be done. The thing that I like the most about these rules is that manufacturers that were looking at the GT class can now have a few guidelines from an official organization. From what I;ve seen in recent years in buggy engines the restrictors are getting smaller and smaller to get more run time so the engines do tune well with 6mm.
Yup I agree, rules are fairly simple and with the upcoming changes the foundation is laid and ROAR as the Official organization has come through... better late then never Best news for the GT class to date

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressure View Post
Well now that ROAR is on board XRAY and MUGEN can join the fun. I think that makes it better for everyone.
I believe you are right, now these multimillion dollar R/C makers can actually consider making more competitive GT's. This will be a sure POSITAVE GAIN for GT

Quote:

Relationships are made and plans have and will continue to move forward as if ROAR didn't exist for GT8.

Their timing is complete BULLSHIT!!
Quote:

My point is look at the Rules IGT8F has an Open/Pro class to accommodate those full racer speed freaks, a "Spec" class
Its well documented that you don't agree but this thread is about ROAR, please continue your efforts on the i8gt8f thread you started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarry View Post
I do not post much here on RC Tech when a lot of people hide behind screen names. To many Internet Keyboard tough guys. That is why when I post it is usually about race information.

If you read the new GT8 rules this was the first thing posted:

With the growing popularity of the GT8 class and at the request of our members we have decided on a rules package for this class. ROAR will monitor how this rules package is working and will make adjustments as needed.

This is not a perfect world and I am sure everyone posting here is a National Champion and knows everything about RC Cars.

We are going to be making a few adjustments to the rules in a very short time.

What most of you do not understand is most of the Excomm members also have real jobs. Their sole purpose is not to monitor RC Tech. We try and use the ROAR forums as the main means of communication.

Feel free to reply in the ROAR forums. Or email me at [email protected]
We all here are passionate about GT8, the anticipation of the rule adjustments can't get here fast enough

Look forward this New Year for ROAR GT8 included races like the Nitro ROAR National Championshipsand many like it.

ABSOLUTE HOBBYZ / Engines Modded by The Nitro Shop
*1speedy is offline   Reply With Quote