R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2013, 04:32 AM   #31
Tech Elite
 
Phil Trotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

These rules although nowhere does it say they are set in stone are the best thing that can happen for this class. Roar finally recognizing this class will show more events for these cars at biggest events each year Nationals. State races. Regionals. Etc.

I don't run this class and only did a short time but now guys should focus on attending these events and helping to set rules in stone
Rim choices
Carb restrictors
Width. Kick up. Etc etc

This is a great thing for gt drivers. Don't jump off the bridge just yet.
__________________
PHIL TROTTA
Phil Trotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #32
Tech Fanatic
 
modhobby's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 875
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Trotta View Post
These rules although nowhere does it say they are set in stone are the best thing that can happen for this class. Roar finally recognizing this class will show more events for these cars at biggest events each year Nationals. State races. Regionals. Etc.

I don't run this class and only did a short time but now guys should focus on attending these events and helping to set rules in stone
Rim choices
Carb restrictors
Width. Kick up. Etc etc

This is a great thing for gt drivers. Don't jump off the bridge just yet.
This is kind of the crux of this issue. Are the rules set in stone or not? Are they guidelines or rules? When can the GT nation of racers expected adjustments? Monthly, quarterly, yearly, when? UNTIL that is figured out, all it does is cause confusion in a healthy GT8 class. So when you show up to a ROAR race are the rules really the rules?

However, this is only going to play out if the track owners decide to actually follow ROAR rules. For Regional/National events that are ROAR sanctioned, you have the power to participate or not. With all the sentiments stated so far, I have to agree that the rules seem arbitrary without proper knowledge of the history and goals the GT racers want to realize for this class.
__________________
REDS Racing USA
modhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #33
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhobby View Post
This is kind of the crux of this issue. Are the rules set in stone or not? Are they guidelines or rules? When can the GT nation of racers expected adjustments? Monthly, quarterly, yearly, when? UNTIL that is figured out, all it does is cause confusion in a healthy GT8 class. So when you show up to a ROAR race are the rules really the rules?

However, this is only going to play out if the track owners decide to actually follow ROAR rules. For Regional/National events that are ROAR sanctioned, you have the power to participate or not. With all the sentiments stated so far, I have to agree that the rules seem arbitrary without proper knowledge of the history and goals the GT racers want to realize for this class.
Absolutely!!....
There are a perfect set of workable rules for this class already thought out and laid out within IGT8F.
At the very worst ROAR should just adopt these rules for the class. Saves all the confusion.
At least these ROAR Rules/ Guidlines are only for ROAR sanctioned events and wont interfere with the bulk of GT racing going on.

Regards,
BM
__________________
So enjoying building cars I sometimes forget to save some "man-time" to race them!?
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #34
Tech Addict
 
scary_jerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 514
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Absolutely!!....
There are a perfect set of workable rules for this class already thought out and laid out within IGT8F.
At the very worst ROAR should just adopt these rules for the class. Saves all the confusion.
At least these ROAR Rules/ Guidlines are only for ROAR sanctioned events and wont interfere with the bulk of GT racing going on.

Regards,
BM
It's got to be some kind of 'trick'........I just checked my 'full set' of carb inserts and there is no '6mm' in there, the smallest is a 6.5mm.

*1Speedy mentioned the difficulty in trying to tune an engine with a 6mm insert............there go the guys that thought they were getting the hang of their first nitro car.

BM.....I for one want to see our buddy 'VictorVector' survive with 'one set of tires'........he's well known as a 'tire shredder' at his 'local haunt'. (but he's fun to race with)
scary_jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #35
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,337
Default

Hehe ... theres one or two "tire-shredders" around Jerry so I don't think he's alone there. One not too far from my keyboard

We did iron out the tire rule though.... careful reading of that rule shows you can only use one set of tires for 'each' race?! So I guess you can change tires for each qualifier and main if you want. (If it's ok to call a 'qualifier'... a race?

Haha ... no surprise's there on the 6mm carb inserts really. People making up rules that don't know what they're doing or have not looked into it properly.

Still .... we must be patient. Maybe after another 4 years we will have "adjusted" the rules to be able to start an engine or two.

Regards
BM
__________________
So enjoying building cars I sometimes forget to save some "man-time" to race them!?
British Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #36
Tech Fanatic
 
pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bklyn NY
Posts: 926
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Thank u ROAR....But........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Trotta View Post
These rules although nowhere does it say they are set in stone are the best thing that can happen for this class. Roar finally recognizing this class will show more events for these cars at biggest events each year Nationals. State races. Regionals. Etc.

I don't run this class and only did a short time but now guys should focus on attending these events and helping to set rules in stone
Rim choices
Carb restrictors
Width. Kick up. Etc etc

This is a great thing for gt drivers. Don't jump off the bridge just yet.
+1

I have wanted to call ROAR out on for basiically ignoring GT racing for the last 10 months but instead I waited to hear from them. The rules stated may not work for everyone but at least we have a starting point. I will set my car up for ROAR competition at ROAR events and hope to attend the first National ROAR event to include GT racers. Ill support whatever GT rules that are prevelent at the local tracks I travel to.

Thinking that adding a class and gettting it 100% right on the first shot would be incredible but getting acknowledged by the governing body that we all support is long overdue. If its just a matter carrying a 6mm carb restictor and retuning your engine no biggie. But with a 150ml tank and 6mm restrictor I can run for almost 14mins, why not lenghthen my qualifiers? I think the kick up issue should be revisited only because it excludes a strong group of racers and manufactures. But all in all this is a long overdue first step in the right direction.

my 0.04 cents
__________________
ITS COMPLICATED......................
pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #37
Tech Master
 
Gary NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 1,157
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post

Haha ... no surprise's there on the 6mm carb inserts really. People making up rules that don't know what they're doing or have not looked into it properly.

Regards
BM
I assume when you say "people who haven't looked into it properly" you're referring to yourself...

I just "looked into it" at A Main and had no problem finding a 6mm insert by both NR and RB, either of which will fit 95% of the carbs folks run (I honestly don't know about something like a Picco...)

Look, I'm no apologist for ROAR here - I just take exception to comments that imply that ROAR hadn't thought about what they were doing. These rules clearly show that the writer(s) thought A LOT about what they were doing, and made some very conscious choices. You may not agree with the rules they wrote...but they are not stupid rules. There is a difference.
__________________
Gary - GMK Supply
www.gmksupply.com
Great products. Goofy names.
Gary NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #38
Tech Master
 
tonylunatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 1,066
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressure View Post
+1

I have wanted to call ROAR out on for basiically ignoring GT racing for the last 10 months but instead I waited to hear from them. The rules stated may not work for everyone but at least we have a starting point. I will set my car up for ROAR competition at ROAR events and hope to attend the first National ROAR event to include GT racers. Ill support whatever GT rules that are prevelent at the local tracks I travel to.

Thinking that adding a class and gettting it 100% right on the first shot would be incredible but getting acknowledged by the governing body that we all support is long overdue. If its just a matter carrying a 6mm carb restictor and retuning your engine no biggie. But with a 150ml tank and 6mm restrictor I can run for almost 14mins, why not lenghthen my qualifiers? I think the kick up issue should be revisited only because it excludes a strong group of racers and manufactures. But all in all this is a long overdue first step in the right direction.

my 0.04 cents
So just curious are you and Phil going to start running GT8? Are all your races (local, club, etc) ROAR sanctioned?

We haven't even touched the whole Tech issue, so is every motor going to be Inspected before or after for internal mods?

Again I respect ROAR for coming out of hibernation mode, but I truly feel and believe they woke up to just muddy the water.

Its beyond clear they are not in touch with the mass majority of GT8 racers or races. Are we forgetting rules were submitted more then once over the last 3yrs, are these the rules that were submitted? Or are they a diluted version and or just attempt to slow real progress?

Im not a ROAR member haven't been for a few years now I attended our Region 9 ROAR event 2 weeks ago, entries were extremely thin. We get more entries at our club races!

Btw I placed 2nd in GT8, in a full bone stock IGT8F "SPEC" car.
__________________
Serpent/Desoto Racing USA~Murnan Modified Motors~PTRC Racing Fluids~Flo-Control ~IGTHobbies.com
tonylunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #39
Tech Champion
 
MantisWorx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,918
Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default

How many licensed short chassis bodies exist?
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #40
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 636
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
How many licensed short chassis bodies exist?
Good point. Prob just the ofna dp8 and the m-type clk. most kyosho bodies for the short chassis gt1 can't be had
__________________
Brett Adams
Mugen MGT7
o.s. savox futaba
66 Box Nova all motor LSX
1966ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #41
Tech Elite
 
Phil Trotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,452
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylunatic View Post
So just curious are you and Phil going to start running GT8? Are all your races (local, club, etc) ROAR sanctioned?

We haven't even touched the whole Tech issue, so is every motor going to be Inspected before or after for internal mods?

Again I respect ROAR for coming out of hibernation mode, but I truly feel and believe they woke up to just muddy the water.

Its beyond clear they are not in touch with the mass majority of GT8 racers or races. Are we forgetting rules were submitted more then once over the last 3yrs, are these the rules that were submitted? Or are they a diluted version and or just attempt to slow real progress?

Im not a ROAR member haven't been for a few years now I attended our Region 9 ROAR event 2 weeks ago, entries were extremely thin. We get more entries at our club races!

Btw I placed 2nd in GT8, in a full bone stock IGT8F "SPEC" car.
I may run gt8 at bigger events .... Our tracks up here require roar membership to race due to insurance

We have had gentlemens agreements on rules on bodies and weight ... With no Problems ..

IMO I'm sure the 6mm Venturi is not final in stone. But if it was it would eliminate a pit stop or two in med to long mains

I believe the tire rule is to elimInate guys putting On fresh tires for main Like in f1. You run a set of pre scuffs

In the end IMO I think it's better to work with roar and get it as close to acceptable Because the national title would look great on anyone trophy case
__________________
PHIL TROTTA
Phil Trotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #42
Tech Elite
 
JLock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Dallas, TX
Posts: 4,455
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966ss View Post
Good point. Prob just the ofna dp8 and the m-type clk. most kyosho bodies for the short chassis gt1 can't be had
I have about 10 painted/unpainted Kyosho bodies stashed away in the back of my walk-in closet. Been picking them up in my travels over the last three years.
__________________
Texas 5
It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
The only thing that is for sure is that nothing is for sure!!!
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #43
Tech Master
 
azeroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Da Burbs
Posts: 1,069
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

hmmm ok kick up hmm as i understand must remain in buggy conversions ok but it does not stipulate that a manufacturer cannot come out with all new flat chassis gt ala ofna gtp gtp2 gtv2 dm1 just that it is shaft driven like a buggy and not belt like 1/8 open
__________________
Nitro is for Racing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YA SMELL WATTs I BE STEPPIN IN????

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #44
Tech Master
 
FREELANCE_RCer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,313
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

china's companies: team c and ofna should now produce a GT8 with front end kick chassis.
FREELANCE_RCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #45
Tech Master
 
azeroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Da Burbs
Posts: 1,069
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREELANCE_RCer View Post
china's companies: team c and ofna should now produce a GT8 with front end kick chassis.
OK But why? they already produce a flat chassis car it only mandates that kick has to remain if a conversion and kick up is the angle of attack of the hinge pin like anti squat on the rear and can be in the form of hinge pin mounts and the rules do not state a min or maximum kick up just saying
__________________
Nitro is for Racing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YA SMELL WATTs I BE STEPPIN IN????

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:27 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net