Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-3

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the MTX4R was released back in April or May of this year.

asw7576 - I know what you are saying - I had a heck of a time tracking down all the parts for my MTX-3. I figure if I brake something and use up my spare parts thats it. I spoke with a Mugen rep down here in South FLA and they said Mugen Japan has already stopped making parts for the MTX-3. Im just trying to squeeze every last bit out of my MTX-3 before I step up. Cost was a big factor for me. Thats why I went with an older car.

Grenade10 - I was able to pick up my MTX-3 for $200. That included servos engine and pipe. It was in great shape! I put in an extra $100 in spare parts and I should be all right for a while. I could basically rebuild the car including a new chassis. Got most of the stuff off ebay. So for $300 I can mess around at my local track and be somewhat competitive. I agree that the MTX-3 is an old car and the MTX-4 has way better handling, but for someone like me that doesn't race professionally and goes out to the track occasionally - I think it was a great deal.

Most of the guys at the track I run at have MTX4's and all I can say is WOW! Its an incredible ride with unbelievable abilities even with the stock settings. Very competitive!
Old 10-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Tech Champion

I still play with my MTX3. Infact I have 3 prospec kits : 2 become cars and 1 become spare parts.

I'm looking forward to race it ..... just like in the good old days of mtx3.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

Its kinda like saying we race an old 95' Ferrari F50. The car might be old but its still a Ferrari! -
Old 10-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

You know I like the Ferrari F50 comparison.

As to parts, I have collected quite a few and would be willing to help fellow racers if I have the extra stock. 50% of list if post through here.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

I too have an abundance of parts: 2 complete MTX3s and a bunch of parts to make at least another 2.........maybe even more!
Let me know?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:34 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you guys! Its great to know that although the car might be old I can still find support through you!

Same goes for me. I don't think I have as many spare parts as you guys might but if you ever need a part, please let me know and I will gladly look to see if I have what you need!

Thanks again!

-Al
Old 11-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

mugen racing, still has plenty of parts for the mtx3, in my club there are about 10 mtx3 and 6 mtx4 and i can get any part for the mtx3

when in doubt ask your lhs to order parts from mugen racing, perhaps these are no longer made but sill have plenty in stock, either is mugen racing in the us or japan, and if you want to purchase overseas you can find several parts from rc-mushroom also
happy racing
Old 11-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks a million Seisick!

Unfortunately there is very little support for these cars where Im at. None of the LHS carry stuff for Mugens so Im forced to buy most of my stuff on-line. I purchased most of my parts from a small hobby shop on-line that had a ton of left over parts for the MTX-3. I pretty much bought everything they had. It wasnt alot, but enough to replace the main components of the car in case of an accident (upper/lower arms - uprights - bulkheads etc.)

Im pretty sure I might need some more minor things in the near future so I will definitely keep you in mind. I truly appreciate all the help and support Ive received from the RC tech members like yourself!

A million thanks again!

-Al
Old 11-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by almtx3
Thanks a million Seisick!

Unfortunately there is very little support for these cars where Im at. None of the LHS carry stuff for Mugens so Im forced to buy most of my stuff on-line. I purchased most of my parts from a small hobby shop on-line that had a ton of left over parts for the MTX-3. I pretty much bought everything they had. It wasnt alot, but enough to replace the main components of the car in case of an accident (upper/lower arms - uprights - bulkheads etc.)

Im pretty sure I might need some more minor things in the near future so I will definitely keep you in mind. I truly appreciate all the help and support Ive received from the RC tech members like yourself!

A million thanks again!

-Al
Well, if you need anything that some of these other guys either might not have, check with me. One of my local hobby shops still carries MTX-3 parts and I might have some extra parts that I could part with (since I rum my MTX-4 more than my MTX-3). And, I won't charge you an arm and leg like some distributors.

How is your car handling? Did you try any of the proposed changes that were suggested earlier? Is any of it working for you?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Jlock - You have been a great help!

I still haven't been able to take the MTX-3 out due to the fact that as I was doing a complete tear down of the car when I first got it, I found numerous things that the needed immediate attention. First of all the bearings were all extremely dirty and 2 of the bearings that went in the rear uprights were completely locked up and full of grime. I tried everything I could to loosen them up but no luck. I ended up buying a complete set of metal shielded bearings for the car. All the belts were stripped so that got replaced. The spur gears are in pretty bad shape but still usable. I purchase a new set just to be on the safe side. The rear diff was completely empty due to a missing diff gasket??? That has been corrected. I filled it up again with Mugen 60000 diff oil just to see how the car feels with that. Wont hesitate to change it to thicker weight after I see how the car runs. Besides those small things the car was in desperate need of a good cleaning. I hate working on a dirty car, but thats just me. Ill post some pics soon.

The last thing I was waiting for was a new MX-3FHSS radio I picked up last week. Its great not having to worry about crystals anymore. I set up the receiver and the steering settings last night and that was the last thing I needed to get the car in race shape again. Unfortunately my local track just shut down for a few weeks but as soon as it opens up again Im gonna be the first one out there. I will be going with my best bud who drives a brand new XRAY NT1 so its gonna be a pretty good battle. The NT1 is a great car, I actually helped him set it up and tuned his engine. Ive been in the game for a little over 10 years now and this was his first 1/10 scale on-road car, (talk about a nice first ride!) I will definitely keep you guys posted on the outcome of that day!

One last thanks to all that have chipped in with your 2¢. All the help is greatly appreciated!

Al
Old 11-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

No problem, dude. Good luck and getting the car back together and being able to fix the performance ills that your car was experiencing. Glad that I am able to help.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by almtx3
J-Lock, what teeth count do they have? The guy I bought the car from threw in an extra set, the ones on the engine now are:

1st gear=16t and 2nd gear=20t

Im not too familiar with the whole pitch thing, can you explain.

As far as I know the clutch bell gears are also referred to as pinion gears (if Im not mistaken) and the lower tooth count on the pinion gears the more bottom end snap you will have.

hey alm
just to let you know theres a pinion with 22 teeth that mugen sells that fits directly with the 1 pitch pinions and spurs, most mtx3 cars here use them and allows them to have a lower gear ratio similar to prospec
i believe it is ho707 or 717, not sure but i have it somewhere written down

happy racing.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Seisick
hey alm
just to let you know theres a pinion with 22 teeth that mugen sells that fits directly with the 1 pitch pinions and spurs, most mtx3 cars here use them and allows them to have a lower gear ratio similar to prospec
i believe it is ho707 or 717, not sure but i have it somewhere written down

happy racing.
Already explained this to him. In fact, I am holding a 0.8 pitch set of clutchbell gears for him (a spare set I have) if he can't find any somewhere else.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

i still like the old mtx3. I think its a more durable car than the newer ones. Who cares if it may be a second slower a lap, atleast it can take a hit
Old 11-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

all mugen car's are great and can take a hit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.