R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2005, 11:52 PM   #14446
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Yes, I mean the amount of play at suspension shaft before the wheels lift off the ground.

All caster clips are position behind the upper arm.

uurrghh....... I can't wait to test it.

Would you like to guess ? do you think the car will be stable or no ?
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:18 AM   #14447
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by asw7576
All caster clips are position behind the upper arm.
My guess is that this is the one making the car very unstable on the straights and making high speed turn ins understeer while low speed you would turn in fine...

When you turn to the right for example, the small caster angle makes less optimum wheel contacts to the surface (not enough camber) when the front leans to the left side. With more caster, the contact patch of the wheel increases and you get more steering. Try putting it at neutral or at where the stock setting is. If you insist on running the caster this way, you need more front camber dialed in.

For more advance reading, you can read here which applies to all cars. Good luck.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:18 AM   #14448
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

.

Last edited by InitialD; 01-04-2005 at 12:35 AM.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 07:52 AM   #14449
Tech Master
 
cdelong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 1,805
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

asw- you need more rear droop. 4- 5mm would probably be fine. 2mm is not enough.
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:20 AM   #14450
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by cdelong
asw- you need more rear droop. 4- 5mm would probably be fine. 2mm is not enough.
You're quoting values from the droop gauge... asw is quoting values of the chassis uptravel before the tires leave the ground...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:06 AM   #14451
Tech Master
 
cdelong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 1,805
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
You're quoting values from the droop gauge... asw is quoting values of the chassis uptravel before the tires leave the ground...
guess I just figured everyone used droop gauges......
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:39 PM   #14452
Tech Champion
 
Slotmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Germantown Maryland
Posts: 5,699
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine
Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
My guess is that this is the one making the car very unstable on the straights and making high speed turn ins understeer while low speed you would turn in fine...

When you turn to the right for example, the small caster angle makes less optimum wheel contacts to the surface (not enough camber) when the front leans to the left side. With more caster, the contact patch of the wheel increases and you get more steering. Try putting it at neutral or at where the stock setting is. If you insist on running the caster this way, you need more front camber dialed in.

For more advance reading, you can read here which applies to all cars. Good luck.
As InitialD said more caster will create more turn in but there is another reason for this. When you turn the wheels it forces the chassie to unload the inside rear wheel which will give the rear less grip at that instant.
__________________
HOBBYWING NORTH AMERICA /FALCON SEKIDO/ TEKNO RC TEAM/VBC Racing America/VP-PRO RACING TIRES/2010 R.O.A.R. VTA National Champion Driving a T2R PRO/NANO-TECH Batteries Paul Rush
Slotmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:16 AM   #14453
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Thanks everyone,

I changed upper arm's caster position to middle, so it doesn't lean backwards or forwards too much. I observed the front tyres's contact, the tyres actually have less surface contact at full turn position, but the "dig in" or "bite" angle is much steeper.

Another adjustment is smaller EPA ( end point adjustment of steering servo ) and negative EXP ( exponential ).

About the droop thing, yes I made estimation by measuring the upward chassis movements before the tires lift off.

Pardon me guys..... my first engine cars.
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:24 AM   #14454
Tech Master
 
buboy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: manila,philippines
Posts: 1,601
Send a message via AIM to buboy28 Send a message via Yahoo to buboy28
kawahara hop-ups

guys, where can i buy kawahara hop-ups for my mtx-3. looks like some hobby shops are already discontinuing these parts since i've been looking for them these past few days. been looking already with online shops but not complete with the hop-ups that i needed. any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks
buboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:49 AM   #14455
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

RC champ in Japan, you can mail order through them.

Btw, 3 racing is good enough u know and it's cheaper.

I think mtx3 only need these hop up options:

alluminium 4mm chassis ( very strong but heavier )
alluminium radio plate tower
alluminium center pulley holder for front belts
titanium screws, hopefully longer ones by 2mm and 4mm
alluminium front stabiliser holder
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:46 PM   #14456
Tech Regular
 
smracer31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 425
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smracer31
Default

i think one more would be the rear adjustable sway bar.... makes it easier to adjust without having several different tension bars.
smracer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:47 AM   #14457
Tech Adept
 
Arushmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 188
Default Re: kawahara hop-ups

I have been bought here
http://acehardwarehobbies.com/
http://shop.the-border.nl

and here

http://www.speedtechrc.com/




Quote:
Originally posted by buboy28
guys, where can i buy kawahara hop-ups for my mtx-3. looks like some hobby shops are already discontinuing these parts since i've been looking for them these past few days. been looking already with online shops but not complete with the hop-ups that i needed. any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks
__________________
XB9 x 2
http://txvzla.blogspot.com/
Arushmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:20 AM   #14458
rjl
Tech Fanatic
 
rjl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: OZ
Posts: 848
Default

asw, you must not run the tyres (english) untrued. The fronts will be too large and it will get worse. Out of the box, Zacs are usually 66mm front and 65mm rear.
I find that 35s are good on low grip so I assume that is the conditions you run.
I would set the ride height to 7.5mm both front and rear on 64mm diameter, then depending on the length of the heat I reduce the front tyre diameter by an amount that will finish the heat at slightly less than the rears.
What I'm trying to say is that the car will be a pig if your front tyres are larger than the rears and it puts too much strain on the drive train.
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:22 AM   #14459
Tech Master
 
buboy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: manila,philippines
Posts: 1,601
Send a message via AIM to buboy28 Send a message via Yahoo to buboy28
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by asw7576
RC champ in Japan, you can mail order through them.

Btw, 3 racing is good enough u know and it's cheaper.

I think mtx3 only need these hop up options:

alluminium 4mm chassis ( very strong but heavier )
alluminium radio plate tower
alluminium center pulley holder for front belts
titanium screws, hopefully longer ones by 2mm and 4mm
alluminium front stabiliser holder
thanks asw7576 i will try that, i have a bad experience with 3 racing hop-ups with my v-one RR so as much as possible i am avoiding it and you are right it is really much cheaper than the kawahara hop-ups
buboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:25 AM   #14460
Tech Master
 
buboy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: manila,philippines
Posts: 1,601
Send a message via AIM to buboy28 Send a message via Yahoo to buboy28
Default Re: Re: kawahara hop-ups

Quote:
Originally posted by Arushmen
I have been bought here
http://acehardwarehobbies.com/
http://shop.the-border.nl

and here

http://www.speedtechrc.com/
i have been with speedtechrc but cannot find what i'm looking for but i will also try the other two sites that you recommended thank you very much Arushmen
buboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MUGEN MBX5R/MUGEN MBX5T PROSPEC/TRAXXAS RACE REVO Jason Halvorson R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 01-12-2008 10:32 AM
Mugen 5T Chassis, Mugen 46 Tooth Pinion, Associated Ride Height Gauge bretzkej R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 08-19-2007 06:31 PM
USA's Most Wanted FOR SALE Mugen MBX5R,Losi 8 comp, and Mugen MBX5T Prospec Truggy nobike R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 69 04-28-2007 07:45 PM
Another MTX3 prospec w lots of parts and an optional Mugen X12 w Mugen pipe Scott Fisher R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 11-21-2005 05:45 PM
drake xxx nt and mugen mst-1+extras......Looking for a kanai 2 or maybe mugen buggy [email protected] R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 06-30-2003 09:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:25 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net