R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-06-2004, 05:23 PM   #12706
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mckrooz

The MR12 is still a good motor. Although it is becoming outdated very quickly with all the fast motors coming out. Because of the short stroke, I'd consider it a top end motor. Won't hang with the NS's though. Medium track, you could hang.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:55 PM   #12707
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel
Default Re: Kawahara Belt Tensioner ?

Quote:
Originally posted by j240z
I just got a Kawahara belt tensioner part # A011. I'm wondering if it can be used on the MTX-3? I was told it would work on the MTX-3 but the package says MTX-2, Kyosho, Mugen, Serpent. Does anyone here have this on their mtx-3? If so could you please guide me in installing this. Pics would be great too! Thanks.
Yes it works for the MTX-3.
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 06:28 PM   #12708
Q
Tech Apprentice

Default chassis

has anybody tried this? any good compared to mugen or kawahara

http://acehardwarehobbies.com/2.2/ca...oducts_id=4472
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 07:00 PM   #12709
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Profoxcg
Default help with the centax

Is there supposed to be a shim between the clutch showe and the bearing the going on the inned side of the end bell? (right on top of the spring tendion nut) (like serpent does)
Profoxcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 07:01 PM   #12710
Tech Master

Default adjusting the centax sring

do i have to take the whole engine out of the car...?
Old 06-06-2004, 07:18 PM   #12711
Tech Addict

Default Centax

Nope....you can adjust the spring pre-load on the clutch without even loosening the motor-mount bolts......

Simply insert a small ~1.0mm allen-wrench or a piece of music wire into the small hole immediately behind the 2nd-gear pinion......feel for the notch in the spring adjuster as you slowly turn the flywheel or the clutch bell....when you find the notch (there are two).....simply hold the wrench steady (which holds the clutch nut) and turn the flywheel to either loosen or tighten the nut.......go about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn at a time and check the result to see if it's what you wanted.......

I never understood why everyone wanted a centax (when I ran an associated)....now I'll never go back.....it's the only way to fly...
Bivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 07:20 PM   #12712
Tech Addict

Quote:
hey bivens, can you post your chart of the possible combinations on the gear mesh? 15/48-21/42 will work?
Don't have one made for the Mugen yet.....just put them on the car and see if the gear mesh turns out OK......Don't forget....one more adjustment to the gearing can always be found by varying the tire size as a final adjustment......
Bivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 07:20 PM   #12713
Tech Master

thanks, what about the previous question regarding the shim?
Old 06-06-2004, 08:07 PM   #12714
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Kawahara Belt Tensioner ?

Quote:
Originally posted by kreidel
Yes it works for the MTX-3.
OK, thanks. Does anyone have a pic of how it goes onto the mtx-3. Instructions are not included with this item and I can't seem to figure it out. Do you use the 2 oem holes for the stock belt tensioner? ...................?
j240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:26 PM   #12715
Tech Prophet

Default Re: help with the centax

Quote:
Originally posted by Profoxcg
Is there supposed to be a shim between the clutch showe and the bearing the going on the inned side of the end bell? (right on top of the spring tendion nut) (like serpent does)
You will only need to do this to make sure the clutchbell does not rub against the clutch shoe when you spin the clutchbell facing upwards. If your clutchbell does not rub against the clutch shoes and there is very minimal end play, then you do not need any shims in between the bearing and the centax pre-adjusting nut.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:28 PM   #12716
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Bivens
Don't have one made for the Mugen yet.....just put them on the car and see if the gear mesh turns out OK......Don't forget....one more adjustment to the gearing can always be found by varying the tire size as a final adjustment......
You can download the gear ratio chart from the link below;

http://www.mugenseiki.com/mtx3-gearratio08m.pdf

For the gears, you can use whatever pinions and spurs designated for the 1st and 2nd gear unlike the NTC3 where you need to ensure the fix number of teeth jumps on the pinions and spurs.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:30 PM   #12717
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: A Little Help Please

Quote:
Originally posted by NickName999
What effect will increasing or decreasing the 'clutch clearance' with shims have? Or is it simply that it either works or doesn't work?
Increasing the clutch clearance between the clutch shoe and the clutchbell will give a more agressive clutch. Smaller gap will give a smoother engagement. Depends on available traction and your driving style. Less traction, smaller gap and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally posted by NickName999
I assume that the spring tension will allow it to engage at a lower RPM, but aside from there being no neutral, can it be too loose?
If it's too loose, then clutch will engage at lower RPM. There will come to a point when the engine will bog down because there isn't enough torque to engage to 1st gear.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:45 PM   #12718
Tech Master

thanks initialD
Old 06-06-2004, 10:17 PM   #12719
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 16/19 belts

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing

I have some silicon lube in a spray can. Is that the right stuff?

Yeah, the 'dry' stuff that almost leaves no residue.

I'm using a mould release spray, but Selleys E-Z Glide, is what I used years ago. (if they still make it)

DC
OZDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 05:07 AM   #12720
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Diff Question

What kind of Diffs are in the MTX-3 and how often do you have to rebuild them. I have a NTC3 right now and there is alot of maint. on the drive train with this car. (mainly diffs.) They can withstand 2 qualifiers and a 30 min. main but then they are done. Thanks, I am thinking of switching. Also, how does it drive compared to a Ntc3?
no4hitter is offline   Reply With Quote