R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-02-2004, 11:32 AM   #11311
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: mtx3 or pro spec

Quote:
Originally posted by eddiethefish
Yeah, like to get the Pro for the same price as the reg. kit!
i agree fish man

when your on a budget the price makes a diff, $350+ for the mtx3

or $475+ for the prospec, thats a big diff almost $500 for just a kit, thats alot i think,

thats what made me get the reg kit, not that the pro spec wasnt hot, its the price tag. i mean the chassis is nice but if you dont hit stuff it wont make that much diff would it?

ill probably get the universals up front, sway bar for the rear (ill be running on a tight small local track) but the ti pillow balls and stuff i dont think im a good enough driver yet for that to make a diff, it might be nice later on but for that extra $120-150 for the pro spec can be applied elsewhere for me, motor, pipe, tires etc.

plus all i heard was how bulletproof the mtx3 was i didnt see anybody saying the kit needed alot of parts, correct me if im wrong?
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:43 AM   #11312
Tech Master

Default mtx3 must haves

ok im gonna be on a local small tight track,

what should i get hands down for my mtx3 kit?

i see alot of talk about the belts that keep tire wear down or at least evenly. what are cvd's?

my list has the following parts

uni's up front
rear sway bar 2.5
belt upgrade (but with ones)
Old 05-02-2004, 11:56 AM   #11313
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish
Default Re: Re: mtx3 or pro spec

It's like a tank! Tough, hard to break, next to the Kyosho V-one-R!

Quote:
Originally posted by gentleman81
i agree fish man

plus all i heard was how bulletproof the mtx3 was i didnt see anybody saying the kit needed alot of parts, correct me if im wrong?
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 01:17 PM   #11314
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10
Default Re: mtx3 must haves

Quote:
ok im gonna be on a local small tight track,

what should i get hands down for my mtx3 kit?

i see alot of talk about the belts that keep tire wear down or at least evenly. what are cvd's?

my list has the following parts

uni's up front
rear sway bar 2.5
belt upgrade (but with ones)
Seems like the ProSpec is the kit to get since it comes with all the Mugen genuin hop up parts, and almost all of the hop up parts from Prospec you will eventually get down the road so getting the pro spec is not a bad idea to begin with.

Now on the belt conversion, why do you start run the car with stock set up first and do some fine tuning on set up then decide if you want to get into 16/19 conversion.
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 05:52 PM   #11315
Q
Tech Apprentice

Default 16 19 conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by picco007
You need to get the mugen pulley parts bag ( part # T0221). All of the pulleys come in the bag. They are exactly the same pulleys that are on your car stock. There is a 16t pulley in there so you want to take the 19t pulley you have in the rear (left side of car) and put that in the front to take the place of the 24t pulley. Then the 16t pulley you get from the pulley parts bag and put that on the rear. Then you need to get a new belt because the stock belt is too long.

There is a thread here in the for sale section that has the belt you will need to finish this conversion. Hope this helps....If I have left something out, anyone please post.
conversion belt on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3190427509

hope this helps..
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:46 PM   #11316
Tech Adept

Default mtx3 or prospec

gentleman81; Don't worry regular kit or prospec, both are good cars. Got to get what you can afford at the time. The prospec has some nice features but honestly most of them aren't really needed for the mugen.

The features I probably couldn't live without:
4mm chassis (yes the GS spoiled on this): no chassis flex = suspension does all the work
universals: don't have to look for dogbones on the track
That really is it for me.

Ugh, the GS doesn't like me . Lost my thrust bearing on my centax just before sign-ups closed. So I didn't get to race again . But at least my car was closer to being dialed (actually used a modified mugen set-up )
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 09:36 PM   #11317
Tech Master

Default chassis

how can 1mm of chassis make that big of a diff

stock chassis 3mm?

pro spec 4mm?

i do aggre the uni's are a must have the mugens go for $40 a pair

3racing sells them for half that

i agree that the hop ups u get with the pro spec are well worth the money but to a new guy a $500 kit in my opinion i would have gotten the kit with the motor, $500 i can get a use 1/8 car like a mrx or something. anyway thanks for all the hints i'll get the uni's (fronts anyway)

can someone tell me what are cvd's?
are they something i need to make the uni's work or what?
Old 05-02-2004, 09:51 PM   #11318
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Get the Mugen CVDs, the 3 racing ones have only a 1.5mm pin and they fail more easily. We don't see UNIs much anymore.
The 3mm chassis is stamped and the 4mm one is machined. The 3mm one is fine and it takes a fair whack to bend it.
Spares you might want are front knuckles, one way out drives and until you get CVDs a set of MTX2 dogbones.
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:02 PM   #11319
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

are they mtx2 dogbones the same? or it there another reason to get it. How are the new UPDATED RDLOGICS cvds?
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:06 PM   #11320
Tech Addict

Some confusion.....

"UNI's" that everyone are refering to are actually CVD's......(A true universal joint works like that on a full-scale car's drive shaft.....not the exactly the same as a CVD.....)

The CVD is all you need, whether you buy Mugen or not....but the 3-racing and others have a bad reputation.......If you're sold on them, then spend 1/2 the money on them....when they break, see if you think the Mugen CVD's are actually worth it.....depends on the type of track barriers and speed of the impact.....everyone may not have trouble from the cheap CVD's.....

I think the RD Logics CVD's are the same as 3-racing......maybe someone else can confirm this....
Bivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:07 PM   #11321
rjl
Tech Fanatic

MTX2 doggies are a little longer. I have had issues with all the cheaper option parts and now only use Kawahara or original but the only things that make you faster are lots of tyres worn down to the rim.

Kyosho CVDs are the toughest but won't fit.
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:37 PM   #11322
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by eddiethefish
The car is just too darn stable that I got nothing else to do, but to hop it up.
You could always race it.

DC
OZDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:25 PM   #11323
Tech Elite

Default Re: chassis

Quote:
how can 1mm of chassis make that big of a diff

sir you be susprise that there is a diff.. dont know about you guys out there, me personally felt it.. lesser chassis flex means sharper and better turns and more controllability for me..

also could anybody confirm that there will be no more stock kit as mugen is gonna just release the prospec kit???

i just realised that the 0.8 gears that came with the prospec are of a different gear ratio from the stock kit.. are the ratios for bigger tracks specifics.. or is the hard clutch spring (prospec) compensating for the gear ratios..
how does that translate to?
Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 01:50 AM   #11324
Tech Master

It's the same.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bivens
I think the RD Logics CVD's are the same as 3-racing......maybe someone else can confirm this....
Old 05-03-2004, 01:52 AM   #11325
Tech Master

Unfortunately, people here get accustomed to only Kawahara when it comes to Mugen hopups. There are other premium that are much better quality--if not all, but some.

Square
FiveStar
Nateco
Charge
Hashimoto
FUN
etc.

Be openminded, and you'll discover what makes you UNIQUE!