R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-21-2003, 02:25 AM   #8941
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
FFG... you do realise that Australia has the largest selection of the deadliest snakes in the world?

Hmm... no xmas card... and no anti-venom for you while your here!!
there's no Manticore !
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 02:30 AM   #8942
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
So Freefallgirl I'm Havin Problems with My Motor Do you have any suggestions?My Problems are That When I run my Low needle Rich it won't idle. When I Lean it out it Screams to about 10,000-12,000 (don't have a tach) It either Goes Hi Temp or won't idle 5,000 or so without Keeping the Ignitor on. Running a T6Tf Plug on a STS D3. I pulled 2 MM shim out didn't make a diff. I'm thinking I need a Hotter plug. Do you or any of Your Followers have any suggestions? All I want to do is Go Practice Practice Practice Like I've been told to do But Can't cause my burner can't cook the rice.
Im sorry Fisher im not familer with the sts motors, maybe you should find Dino, he's the sts guy. oh, btw I'd rather have you at ease with me. don't change just because im a girl. We all have somthing in commen which is this hobby. it doesnt matter what sex i am. Although i love being a girl..
freefallgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 02:30 AM   #8943
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Sorry fish for not answering your post... but if you had have worded it a bit better the first time I might have understood it better.

Is your idle gap set right?

If it isnt then that may be part of the problem.

If thats not it you may have an airleak somewhere, and your engine is sucking air causing it to lean out.

Or it could be that your top end setting is affecting your low end.

Reset all your needles to factory and try it from there.

Oh, and excuse us for having a little fun in the forum. And go easy on the snide remarks when you dont know the situation.

"Followers" please... Good friends would be closer to the mark.
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 02:32 AM   #8944
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
there's no Manticore !

No Manticore.... but we have Steve Erwin..
Old 11-21-2003, 02:36 AM   #8945
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
No Manticore.... but we have Steve Erwin..
Steve has no clue about that young crocodile and I think he left HK already !
Old 11-21-2003, 02:50 AM   #8946
Tech Regular

Yes I have Delt with the Idle needle. I have delt with 10X more settings then I ever did with my RB. This motor seems to be as finicky as my first Nitro Stock AE .15 except that one would run rich.The thing seems to love the glow ignitor so I'm leaning towards a Much Hotter plug.Never Had a Turbo before and i understand they are a bit harder to tune.I Know How to Rasie a ruckus But Really Hate to do that to the people behind the motor.
I'd rather find a solution lower key in a Larger thread like this (it is in my MTX3) then Say My STS D3 Sux help me. I Think it needs a Hotter Plug. I am Completely Open to Suggestions from people who Have STS D series motors though.
Fisher890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 03:05 AM   #8947
Tech Champion

My impression with this D series engine is very reliable and powerful. I find that the carb needle is of finer thread compare with novarossi carb needle thread. i.e. you need to turn more to achieve the same result then what you do to the novarossi carb. With the finer thread, you could make finer needle adjustment.

I also find that the stock carb needle setting is on the lean side (in my case) and you might want to give it a try for initial run in. richen up the slow speed needle 1/2 turn and richen up the high speed needle 1 turn. after run in, adjust your carb from there after. I use #6 plug with it with stock shims.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:35 AM   #8948
Tech Regular

ok Manti I see I have Grabbed your attention here is what i am Doing on needle settings.From a screaming low needle no control 1/2 turn out still screaming Temp climbing.... another 1/2 turn out. Idle starts to settle.Pinich hose 1/2 sec no reply 1 sec climbing another 1/2 sec die. Idle set right?
Ok Running on Box 220F idle. Give it Gas Dies.close 1/2 turn
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" Dies give 1/4 turn
won't start
Won't START
Lean low 1/4 turn start die when I pull the ignitor
Start Leave ignitor on Rev up n down pull ignitor off Dies
Lean another 1/8th Screaming idle........
Lotsa other combos too but I pulled the 2mm shim tonight and it made no decernible differance. My Only other recourse is a C5 Plug or Buy Dino a lobster and get his butt in LA to Tune my Damn motor.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:47 AM   #8949
Tech Master

Fish... you need to explain a little bit better....

How does it die?

Does it rev up a little before flaming out?
or
Does it just snuff out?

Its also easier to work from the richer side of tune. And setting the top end first and worrying about the bottom end and idle perfection last.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:36 AM   #8950
Tech Regular

Spitting fuel with The Ignitor on or die; Reving to a spot 10K or more, steady Charging on the Temp.Hit the throttle see ya. Die out.Lean the high Lean The High low otta control Rich the Hi Rich The Hi. Bog Bog Bog. Start over.....I spent over 2 hours today just trying to get the thing to run....even with my Stock AE from my rc10gt RTR i never had this much problems. My Rb Pullstart Maybe 5 Pulls. I Can get the thing to start on a bump but pull the ignior and it dies. lean it out it goes 10k or it dies 1/8th turns 1/4 turns
I keep Saying hotter plug and nobody seems to back my therory.
and always pinching the low it revs up then dies after 2 or so sec.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:09 AM   #8951
Tech Master

its not that we are not backing your hotter plug theroy.

I for one just cant understand what the hell you are saying that it is doing.

Try and explain it better... and in small doses.

Quote:
Reving to a spot 10K or more, steady Charging on the Temp.Hit the throttle see ya. Die out.Lean the high Lean The High low otta control Rich the Hi Rich The Hi.
I have no idea what you are trying to say there.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:29 AM   #8952
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default Re: hello,

Quote:
Originally posted by freefallgirl
All good?? All woman....
Yes, aaaaaalll woman
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 06:58 AM   #8953
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel

Are those pulley upgrades worth while or are the stock ones just as effective/efficent? I cant see spending money to upgrade my car or adding stuff that might not be as reliable since it is doing an awesome job in near stock form. Are there any items that add a noticable increase or is it hard to beat its out of the box performance?
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:06 AM   #8954
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Are those pulley upgrades worth while or are the stock ones just as effective/efficent? I cant see spending money to upgrade my car or adding stuff that might not be as reliable since it is doing an awesome job in near stock form. Are there any items that add a noticable increase or is it hard to beat its out of the box performance?
Kreidel, you really don't the pully's That car is great out of the box. The only mod we have on our car's is the front cvd's. The dog bones will pop out.! So when you get a chance replace those.
freefallgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:00 AM   #8955
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to mtx3racer Send a message via AIM to mtx3racer

Every time i hit the wall (which isn't that often) the dog bone falls out. I will get the good cvd's next week prob. NOT 3-racing(they are junk).
mtx3racer is offline   Reply With Quote