R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-16-2003, 02:19 PM   #8446
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine
Talking Uni`s

I use the short rears on all four corners of the MTX-3. Narrower means more steering, Kevin&J.R. at Ace hobies are recomending that you use them. The front of my car with 2 deg`s. of camber is set at 194mm. A narrower car is also (supposed) to be faster in the corners.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:45 PM   #8447
Tech Elite

Default Re: Uni`s

Quote:
Originally posted by Slotmachine
I use the short rears on all four corners of the MTX-3. Narrower means more steering, Kevin&J.R. at Ace hobies are recomending that you use them. The front of my car with 2 deg`s. of camber is set at 194mm. A narrower car is also (supposed) to be faster in the corners.
AMEN!

People is freaked about the width of their cars and trying to reach those 200mm of maximum width allowed. Ever a narrower car is faster and better on a tight track and on hairpin sections and isn't much noticed to go with a car about 194 - 196mm wide and can make a difference on the turns (where you spend more time? on the turns or in the backstraight).

Found that I'm very confortable driving a car who is about 4 to 6mm narrower (think twice, those 4mm less can mean better turn-in on the tight sections and is there where the precious hundredths of seconds are lost). In any case, laptimes are the king and the one who can do a final judgement is the chrono.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:59 PM   #8448
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Uni`s

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
AMEN!

(where you spend more time? on the turns or in the backstraight).

I hope on the turns, if you spend more time on the backstraight, your engine is realy not good or car has only one speed.
Just kidding. You are absolutly right, In my son car I try to manage 195-196 max at 2.5 camber.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 03:02 PM   #8449
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel
Default Re: Re: Uni`s

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
AMEN! (where you spend more time? on the turns or in the backstraight)
I spend more time in the backstraight looking like a turtle that was flipped over.
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 06:08 PM   #8450
Tech Regular

Default Re: Uni`s

My point was that the shorts (51mm) were originally packaged as fronts. For whatever reason Mugen made a switch. This made it impossible to shorten the front width.

Does the steering arms rub against the A arms when you set the front to 194mm? I'm running 197-198mm and it's pretty close.

Quote:
JustRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 06:31 PM   #8451
Tech Champion

Talking Just Race

No....the steering knuckles do not rub the arms .Another tip for you guy`s, if you modify the front bulk heads where the steering arms hit you can obtain more steering input if it is required.I myself never turn the wheel that far but I made the modification anyway.

I forgot to ask....are you using 0deg. wheels or 2 deg. offset?
Old 10-16-2003, 09:05 PM   #8452
Tech Regular

Default Re: Just Race

I see what you're getting at with the tires. I'm using the 2 deg. offset(Mugen Fast tires). I guess going to the 0 deg would narrow the front even more.

Quote:
No....the steering knuckles do not rub the arms .Another tip for you guy`s, if you modify the front bulk heads where the steering arms hit you can obtain more steering input if it is required.I myself never turn the wheel that far but I made the modification anyway.

I forgot to ask....are you using 0deg. wheels or 2 deg. offset?
Old 10-16-2003, 11:31 PM   #8453
Tech Champion

Default wheels

give the 0`s a try...it can be a valuable tuning aid.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:51 AM   #8454
Tech Regular

Default Re: wheels

I use the 0deg sometimes but usually space it back out. If the rims get bent it sometimes rubs against the steering knuckles.

What width do you run in the rear?

Quote:
give the 0`s a try...it can be a valuable tuning aid.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:32 PM   #8455
Tech Master

my MTX3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mark1.jpg (102.1 KB, 152 views)
hurhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 09:33 PM   #8456
Tech Master

my mtx3 again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mark2.jpg (130.7 KB, 153 views)
hurhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 03:58 AM   #8457
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cartman
Default My rubber car

loads kawahara parts, film canister to seal receiver, and a Richey "special" engine
since the pic's i have associated springs fitted,car is 15 grams over wieght!

Last edited by Cartman; 10-18-2003 at 05:25 AM.
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 06:05 AM   #8458
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel

Do you use the positive pressure from the earths atmosphere or is your pressure line just not on in that pic? I was considering moving my personal transponder to the front also but I share it with another car so it would be a small hassel if I located it there. That is a real nice looking car...what did you have to do to fit the associated springs?
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 06:22 AM   #8459
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cartman

Quote:
Originally posted by kreidel
Do you use the positive pressure from the earths atmosphere or is your pressure line just not on in that pic? I was considering moving my personal transponder to the front also but I share it with another car so it would be a small hassel if I located it there. That is a real nice looking car...what did you have to do to fit the associated springs?
left pipe off 4 screws and the PT is out!!
simple take Mugen spring off and fit Associated

Last edited by Cartman; 10-18-2003 at 06:34 AM.
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 05:47 PM   #8460
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: wheels

Quote:
Originally posted by JustRace
I use the 0deg sometimes but usually space it back out. If the rims get bent it sometimes rubs against the steering knuckles.

What width do you run in the rear?
I run 196mm. in the rear3.5 camber, pre camber the tires to 2.5 on the truer.