Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel

Try a 1 peice body clip.
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:38 AM   #8282
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by loosenut
1. How to prevent the body clips from flying off!!
2. Are aluminum hub carriers worth the investment?? Or you might ending break other parts??
For question no.1 I just use a small clip (Is almost like the small one from Tamiya), but instead of getting those damn expensive I use the ones from Yokomo, are small and clamp with high pressure to the body post. If not remember bad, Team Orion have some body clips that have an extra lace that wraps the body post, haven't used, but fitting the lace on the body post should be a bitch to do in a rush.

Question 2: If you reinforce any part of the car (in this case, the hub carriers) you might end breaking some other part (A-arm, bulkhead, .... ). On the complete year I've been using mine MTX3 almost all the weekends (and some national races). Only I've break so far was the rear bulkheads, one rear A-arm, one front hub carrier, broke one dogbone and one CVD (3Racing). Substituted many pieces, but were substituted by usage and were worn.

Car is durable, plastics are stiff and withstand rough usage, but isn't bulletproof, first of all maybe we need to define terms like 'Slightly rubbed the board', 'touched the pole', or side crashed to another car.

Mine suggestion, go with the stock plastic hub carriers, are enough strong (but any lemon could be out there) and you will not add more weight to your car in one place where each gram counts as gold (unspring weight).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:40 AM   #8283
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
heard this problem before and some one suggested to use thread lock to keep the bearings in place.
I took the bearing out, put some blue threadlock on it, put it back in, but it still backing out. I tried putting another bead of threadlock around the seam between the bearing and the housing, but that didn't work either.

This is my second housing to do this. I've also heard that several aftermarket 2nd gear housings have the same problem.
Surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 10:55 AM   #8284
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to loosenut

Yea, I believe I may have discovered why my front hubs broke so easily.

For the whole time my front suspension was VERY stiff. Almost like I have the bump down all the way. I couldn't figure out why. So I drove the car like that. I believe that cause my light rubs to break the hub since nothing gave during contact. Also I was having understeering problem naturally..After I finally realized that my blade bars were basically locked together or too close together that it basically served as a solid bar across...after adjusting the blade bar to have more play I didn't break anything!

But the body clips are annoying problems....thx for the info!

Gary
Old 10-06-2003, 11:06 AM   #8285
Tech Master

loosenut - go to your local nut and bolt shop to buy body clips, they are called NECK PINS and will be a lot cheaper. There is no way to ensure that they stay put in a collision, best way is to attach them together via a wire, usually not both clips fly off. Also in a race attach extra clips to the posts so that sometimes the Turn Marshall or your pit crew can easily sort your prob out.

As for you hub, the light rub could be at an angle that clips the wheel and that will crack the hub at the steering arm area. I doubt it has to do with stiff shocks at all. I clipped my Mugen a few times and the hub broke, not hard impacts but mere clips.

Surge - i have not heard of such a problem at all. You must be really unlucky. Anything to do with the 2 speed shaft perhaps?
tIANcI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 11:09 AM   #8286
Tech Master

loosenut - forget the alu hubs, not that they only allow other parts to break but I don trust a lot of such hop ups after I got some so called Ti Universals for my NTC3. Those bloody things wore out so darn fast!!! It was not K Fac stuff but other made in China ones that are marketted under names like GPM 3racing and whatever else! Your pivot ball may wear the housing of the hub and all will be loose!!!
tIANcI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 12:17 PM   #8287
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
2. Are aluminum hub carriers worth the investment?? Or you might ending break other parts??

Thx.

Gary [/B]
YES they are.

I have the GPM steering knuckles and I have NOT broken any knuckles or universals since.

I broke one upper a-arm in a real hard crash, but that's it.

Before that, every brush at an unlucky angle pulled the knuckles over the pillowballs.

Go get the knuckles for 20 bucks and be a happy camper.!!!
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 01:30 PM   #8288
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cartman

Quote:
Originally posted by Surge
Has anyone found a fix to keep the 2nd gear housing bearing from working it's way out while running? I've already had one first gear bearing seize to the 2speed shaft cause of this problem.
i have seen this in the UK on various brands of housing

get RED lock tite clean all parts with motor spray, apply plenty of it to outside of bearing AND housing push them together and wipe excess immediately DO NOT clean with any spray as it will was away the lock tite.
this worked on mine
ignore the other posts and do it, i am a motor mechanic with 20 years experience! and if done correctly it will work!
Old 10-06-2003, 01:41 PM   #8289
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cartman

Quote:
OMG.....yesterday was my first race w/the MTX-3.....had problems all day.

Broke the left front hub carrier - during practice....it was a light rub against the wall too!!

Then I broke the right front hub carrier - during the warmups for teh first qualifying round. Again, light rub against the wall...

ok tighten your servo saver two turns to stop the hubs flicking back!

Then I finally was able to qualify for the A-main in the last qualifying run with my engine not tuned correctly

Got my engine tuned - made some adjustments to the car and was 1 or 2 position in the A-main up until the 16 min mark .... and ran outta fuel! My pitman didnt' call me at the right time...BAH!!

Took awhile to start the engine (inexperienced pitperson) -

Lost a front body clip and was having a hard time steering - man I didn't realize that when the body comes up alittle it makes a world of difference cause lack of down force!!

get some Losi boby clips strong and tight in the holes, also do this! below when one come off you still have two left

Nevertheless, fought my way back to second again....

Guess what...my stupid steering servo screw came loose!! OMFG!!! What are the chance of THAT!! That has never happened to me before! So my car all of a sudden lost all steering.

All in all, I've learned alot about the car and considering the bad luck that I had...I did ok.

This leads me to couple of questions for ya experience guys.

1. How to prevent the body clips from flying off!!

Thx.

Gary
Old 10-06-2003, 01:53 PM   #8290
Tech Initiate

Default MTX-3

Ok Just wondering what Transmitter/ Receiver, servos and battery packs is everyone using in the MTX-3???
GoDspEed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 02:00 PM   #8291
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

3PK PCM, KO digital servos(2144?), and the 730mAh Mugen pack.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 02:27 PM   #8292
Tech Elite

Default Re: MTX-3

Quote:
Originally posted by GoDspEed
Ok Just wondering what Transmitter/ Receiver, servos and battery packs is everyone using in the MTX-3???
KO Mars-R (w/ Blue Led of Death ) Futaba 9450 on the steering, 9402 on the throttle, Sanyo Twicell 750Mah (made by myself).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 02:35 PM   #8293
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to loosenut

Quote:
Originally posted by Cartman
That third body post is a great idea!! I think I'm gonna make one just like that!!

With regards to the servo saver and how tight it's suppose to be? I"m assuming that if I tighten down on it..it won't give as much wouldn't that result in more breakage?

Is there a default or initial setting to the servo saver? Like how many turns in?

OH one more unrelated question, what do you guys use to clean the MTX-3? I wanted to use denatured alcohol but my friend says that it'll eat away at my bearings and belt?? Same thing with the those nitro cleaning sprays?? So what am I suppose to use??

Thx.

G
Old 10-06-2003, 02:47 PM   #8294
Tech Adept

Quote:

OH one more unrelated question, what do you guys use to clean the MTX-3? I wanted to use denatured alcohol but my friend says that it'll eat away at my bearings and belt?? Same thing with the those nitro cleaning sprays?? So what am I suppose to use??

Thx.

G
SERPENT CLEANING PUTTY (#1690)
FAST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 02:58 PM   #8295
Tech Adept

quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Surge
Has anyone found a fix to keep the 2nd gear housing bearing from working it's way out while running? I've already had one first gear bearing seize to the 2speed shaft cause of this problem.

Had the same problem!!
I believe that the cause of that is a bad bearing seize on the 2-speed shaft. So, your assumption is correct.......Try cleaning and lubing bearings on the 2-speed shaft.
BTW-what Cartman mentioned is good advised.

FAST1 is offline   Reply With Quote