R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-04-2003, 02:26 AM   #7756
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cartman

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
Hahaha! very clever.... you cannot be fast with rubbers Just read mine signature
yes you can i bet i can go faster on rubber than you can on foams!!
Old 09-04-2003, 02:28 AM   #7757
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Cartman
agree but on wet track surface condition.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 02:48 AM   #7758
Tech Master

Well, this weekend of racing, my car ran lap times identical in rubber tire class as well as foam tire class.

I use the same car (just switch tires) and my lowest lap times for both classes were 21.6 seconds. My foam tire setup could have used a slightly softer front tire, but I still did well enough because the push made me more consistent sense one mistake would have been the end of me (I was tailed the entire main by a guy with tons more motor... 5port turbo vs. 3port standard plug= slaughter on the straight). My runs in rubber tire were within a second or two of my foam tire runs, but I wasn't as consistent as I even had one lap in the 23 second range, but my point is that in some conditions (other than rain... more like hot parking lot ) rubber tires can be almost as fast as foams. If the track was more open and less greasy, foams would have been at least one second faster per lap.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 03:01 AM   #7759
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
agree but on wet track surface condition.

you got me
Old 09-04-2003, 04:52 AM   #7760
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hehehe! I knew that you will jump after reading those words. I have some rubbers on mine pitbox (Pits on 21mm stretched to 24mm rims with no insert, but are only for serious races) way too expensive to burn and blister it on a weekend bash - If the track is wet, mine car will sit on the starter box, electronics and water doesn't mix so well (No matter how many rubber ballons and how much WD40 and Silicagel you use, water will find their path to the expensive and most delicate electronics).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 07:51 AM   #7761
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Im2lazy
Well, this weekend of racing, my car ran lap times identical in rubber tire class as well as foam tire class.

I use the same car (just switch tires) and my lowest lap times for both classes were 21.6 seconds. My foam tire setup could have used a slightly softer front tire, but I still did well enough because the push made me more consistent sense one mistake would have been the end of me (I was tailed the entire main by a guy with tons more motor... 5port turbo vs. 3port standard plug= slaughter on the straight). My runs in rubber tire were within a second or two of my foam tire runs, but I wasn't as consistent as I even had one lap in the 23 second range, but my point is that in some conditions (other than rain... more like hot parking lot ) rubber tires can be almost as fast as foams. If the track was more open and less greasy, foams would have been at least one second faster per lap.
Hmmm . . . . the time difference does tend to add up, though.

At the end of a 30 minute main, the guy doing 23 second laps is nearly 3 laps down on the guy doing 22 second laps.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 09:10 AM   #7762
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to hicheef
Default I am running Universals

But I keep busting the bone portion of them and I heard somewhere that I can buy just that part (the bone) and replace it rather than shelling out $36.00 on a whole new pair of universals.
Kevin
hicheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 09:32 AM   #7763
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to ROBBIE C Send a message via Yahoo to ROBBIE C
Default Re: I am running Universals

Quote:
Originally posted by hicheef
But I keep busting the bone portion of them and I heard somewhere that I can buy just that part (the bone) and replace it rather than shelling out $36.00 on a whole new pair of universals.
Kevin
T0246 Nitro House (949) 830-0304
ROBBIE C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 12:02 PM   #7764
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to loosenut

Ok guys, I wasn't planning on asking my question on this thread because I fear biased response. BUt I'm going to anyways because I need to make a decision soon.

I"m assuming all of you folks are mtx3 owners. How do you like it? I've heard mixed reviews about the car. On nitroreview.com and from others saying that it breaks easy. Doesn't handle well...

Can I get some opinion on that here? How does it compare to other cars you've driven. I"ve got a NTC3....

I'd appreciate some honest opinions....I know mugen is a good company and that mtx2 is a good car. Thx.

Gary
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 12:48 PM   #7765
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by loosenut
I'm assuming all of you folks are mtx3 owners. How do you like it? I've heard mixed reviews about the car. On nitroreview.com and from others saying that it breaks easy. Doesn't handle well...

Can I get some opinion on that here? How does it compare to other cars you've driven. I"ve got a NTC3....
Asking for an unbiased opinion is out of all kind of reasoning, because previously we made our choose for this car regarding, their own personal likings, part availability or other personal reasons.

I've a very loaded NTC3, was mine previous race car, and still keep with me because find that is a good car (weird, but good car). Mine NTC3 units is one of the earliest units (you can check the NTC3 thread and see some of mine postings about this car), problems I've faced and hours of massaging of the car, who IMHO had multiple flaws (curiously, the dreaded problem tank, wasn't one of mine problems), but after lots of money in optional parts that I consider vital on a serious race car (Front roll bar, a reliable front one-way - toasted 4 units: Associated, the two Yokomo versions and another Associated version with dual bearings on each outdrive - and others ).

This car taxed me a lot of hours thinking on stupid things like how and where to place the transponder (vital on a race oriented car) and improving the clutch, who needed a lot of maintenance (sorry, stock AE clutch is a POS compared with the Centax style clutch). Much of mine posts on the NTC3 thread proves it and many of those are with photos showing tricks and suggestions.

After having some spare parts supply by the local importer and let me hang in an important race, decided to change of car (many months before the MTX3 was launched - this was August 2002). Waited until Nov with the NTC3 and as had access to an unit, ditched the NTC3.

Assembly, with the exception of two issues I had assembling the car, was a blast and with the stock setup I was very near mine fastest lap with the NTC3 (I fact, broken by almost a second with mine actual car). I'm not a newbie there and I know how to setup a car and what I need to make it run according to mine prefs.

For me was a no-brainer question the change to a new car. I carry a complete car in spares, but only that I've needed in those almost 11 months of running the MTX3 is few bags (one of rear A-arms, one rear bulkhead and a front upright - here not count the parts that are subjected to a normal wear) but Mugen plastic is way stiffer and durable than AE FRP/Nylon alloy - nothing needed to say about the 'Graphite' parts - mainly considered a Cancer for the durability of the car by many people.

Cannot give you an unbiased opinion, but can tell you mine personal experience with your actual car and the MTX3 (mine posts in both threads are there for anyone who wants to read them). Have other Mugen cars and never got a problem with them (2 units of the MRX3 and one MTX3, mine brother has an MBX4-RR that has beaten a lot and still survives in exceptional shape).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 01:12 PM   #7766
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My MTX3 is easy to set up, work on and maintain. The basic set up only needs very little adjustments here and there to get the car dailed on any particular track. The only part that I managed to break is the rear left susp arm (3 times). This is due to the long sweeper at the end on a 220 foot straight on my track. Most of the times, I can take it full throttle but if I engage this sweeper in the wrong way, I slam the car in the board very very hard when exiting. After this kind of abuse, I find that the car must be very tough if only a rear arm breaks The only hop ups I put on my car are Mugen front universals and aluminum hex'. The car doesn't need anything else IMHO.
I won't even try to compare the MTX3 to your NTC3, it is not my place to do so since I have never driven a NTC3.
mistercrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 01:59 PM   #7767
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Re: Front one-way lock?

Quote:
M8 were talking Uk here is rains all the frikin time!!
Mark,

I was hoping you could lock the one-way somehow without having to strip the front end to swop parts etc.

As anybody knows who has visited Ireland we can get all four seasons in the same day, sometimes during the one heat!!!

All the best
click, dublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 02:32 PM   #7768
Tech Fanatic

unfortunatly its not posssible to do.
though we are in the process of having some one ways locked but this will be permanently locked, you can change a front diff in about 5 mins with practice!!
Old 09-04-2003, 03:08 PM   #7769
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Hmmm . . . . the time difference does tend to add up, though.

At the end of a 30 minute main, the guy doing 23 second laps is nearly 3 laps down on the guy doing 22 second laps.
that 23 second lap was when I got in a crash... I never crashed other than that (hit a dot or two).

But I think I said this... my times that weekend with rubber tires was only one second slower, by the time the heat was done. For the entire duration of the main, I was only one second slower with rubber tires. But then again, there was a battle for the lead in rubber tires, while I kind of cruised a bit more with my foams since no one was within a corner of me.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 05:31 PM   #7770
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Does anyone know a manufacturer that makes Delrin arms for the mtx-3 EXCEPT for fivestars and Nateco Fun?
B is offline   Reply With Quote