Old 09-01-2003, 05:16 PM   #7696
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to mtx3racer Send a message via AIM to mtx3racer

what do you mean $50 posted?
mtx3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 05:26 PM   #7697
Tech Initiate

ah10:

Right now the clutch engages at about 1/10~1/8 throttle.
If you blimp it, it doesn't engage.

is this an optimal setting for these cars? Im only breaking the motor in right now and im trying not to over rev it. Im not used to having a slipper clutch. It seems like you can't get these clutchs to engage without a little slip. Is that normal? I've tried setting the spring at all sorts of settings from .2mm to 1mm and i can't get it. Right now its at .9mm and i'll leave it there for a while. i don't know what else to do.
EnzoFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 05:57 PM   #7698
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
Originally posted by EnzoFerrari
ah10:

Right now the clutch engages at about 1/10~1/8 throttle.
If you blimp it, it doesn't engage.

is this an optimal setting for these cars? Im only breaking the motor in right now and im trying not to over rev it. Im not used to having a slipper clutch. It seems like you can't get these clutchs to engage without a little slip. Is that normal? I've tried setting the spring at all sorts of settings from .2mm to 1mm and i can't get it. Right now its at .9mm and i'll leave it there for a while. i don't know what else to do.
well it's a combination of 2 things, your engine setting and your clutch setting, sounds complicated but it's not that hard to undertand, I will try my best to descript it:

I found out the best setting for my driving style is to set the bottom needle rich, and set the centex engage late also *very important, dont put too much gap on the clutch bell to the thrust bearing. By doing so, the engine will run cooler also you will have very powerful accelation no hesitation what so ever!

I had try lean bottom as everybody at the track that I run, trying to get power and clean off the line, but just dont work that way, then I change tunning method to rich bottom (thanks manticore on this one), the car go so much smooth power off the line and out from conors!

Try it, you might like it!
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:02 PM   #7699
Tech Initiate

i will definitely try it. What should i set the end play too? right now its about .4mm.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:26 PM   #7700
Tech Initiate

is anybody going to the charity race laurel maryland
pro3user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:29 PM   #7701
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
i will definitely try it. What should i set the end play too? right now its about .4mm.
Just measured mine, right now I am at 0.25mm oh make sure the bearing on the clutch bell is very smooth on the shaft that is very important too
Old 09-01-2003, 06:41 PM   #7702
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hm...what about CVDs...smap in half problem?? any suggestion? if I put a salid front diff in it...will it gong to continue giving me the same problem?
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:51 PM   #7703
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah10
if it is too tight then the clutch will never engage for a few reasons, first the spring compressed too much and the coils touches when the flyweight expend to push the shoe outward, it will just slipping and slipping and overheated the clutch bell.

second the clutch wont engage till like half throttle since it is so tight! you might want to set it up to where the point when you blimp it, it doesnt engage
And probably with a too tight spring it has ruined the shoe glazing it due to excessive heat and friction (this is a new clutch shoe in order)
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:53 PM   #7704
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by superk
Hm...what about CVDs...smap in half problem?? any suggestion? if I put a salid front diff in it...will it gong to continue giving me the same problem?
Uhm... main problem with 3Racing CVD's is that are prone to breaking on the joint, better to stick with Mugen ones, more expensive but much better in reliability and the best of all, you can buy spares to rebuild your CVD's rather than needing to buy a complete CVD set each time you will need to rebuild.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 07:00 PM   #7705
Tech Initiate

Clutch shoe looks fine. i never took the car past 1/4 throttle. Im still breaking in the motor. I found a setting that seems to be ok at about .9mm. Im now gonna set my end play to about .25m like ah10 stated. i will also run the low speed a little on the rich side.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:08 PM   #7706
Tech Champion

Quote:
Clutch shoe looks fine. i never took the car past 1/4 throttle. Im still breaking in the motor. I found a setting that seems to be ok at about .9mm. Im now gonna set my end play to about .25m like ah10 stated. i will also run the low speed a little on the rich side.
that's the main problem with your setting. you cannot judge on engagement while you are having rich needle setting. set your clutch according to ah10's advice after you have completed your run in procedure.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 08:50 PM   #7707
Tech Master

Quote:
Now the measurement I stated eariler is strictly my setting, but I think anywhere over 0.5mm is too much, you will kill the thrust bearing fast!

Oh one more thing, I am using Mugen Super Hard Silver clutch spring and that's one of the reason I can set it to 0.25mm, if you are using softer clutch spring then it will engage too fast!
Old 09-01-2003, 09:00 PM   #7708
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default superk

As I started reading your post I was waiting for you to say that you were running the 3 racing ones. When I first got my car I got those and they shattered off the car in one tank of gas. I said the same thing. What did I hit. The 3 racing universals are garbage. They are smaller at the joint than the mugen ones. I lost a one way drive shaft in the process and had to run the rest of the day on three wheel drive. The car still worked and I won.
Buy the mugen ones. I have had the real mugen ones in my car ever sense without a problem. Also it is good to get the MTX-2 unvershafts because they are longer if you can.
Most of 3 racings other stuff is good but there universals are horrible. And yeah a one way is harder on the gear train than a diff.
TonyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:08 PM   #7709
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

these are the best axles I've used yet, and i've used them all. The one thing I noticed more than anything is to lube the joints every race with grease, I've had a few wear out at the cross joint like in a heartbeat if you don't.

RD's new joints. These are not the 3 racing ones. look at the joint where it intersects the end. Mind you all of them will break if you hight something the wrong way. Also if your servo saver is to loose you will break lots of joints. tighten it up until 3.5 to 4 MM of thread is showing. I actually twisted one of the cvd's out of the rear of my MRX3. I was really scratching my head cause all i did was jump a dot on throttle. Another racer told me it happened to him several times and that the on power shock when the tire hits the ground snaps the axle. And those are f'n big.

Cartman
the answer to your recent email is you will see zero benefit so save yer green bro.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg p_master111.jpeg (6.1 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by Motorman; 09-01-2003 at 09:20 PM.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:32 PM   #7710
Tech Master

Took some pictures tonight after stripping it down and rebuilding it! enjoy guys!

My workshop!

Side view

Full front, Kawahara Lola front mount

Rear View

Kawahara Rear Sway Bar

Front Belt

Last one Rear Quarter