how do you like that engine?

Worth the money?
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 07:28 PM   #7022
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by esham
Sorry guys...I still uncomfortable with what I have done to my rear mounting where i have to cut it . The procedures given to me was not really explained everthing and I have to figure out a few thing by myself. So still in progess to align those and to test it this afternoon perhaps.
Have a look to the attach.
from the pics it looks to me that your rear shocks are not properly aligned?
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 07:46 PM   #7023
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
AH10,

Worth the money?
seen this engine run yesterday, frankly speaking not really impressed as the power was somehow on par with an NS12...
This Max MTX-3 was landed in C main while the NS12 powered MTX-3 grabbed the A main 1st.

Perhaps, the driver didnt tuned to his liking and his driving also another factor to consider too..
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 07:47 PM   #7024
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Marktur
Default Breaking front knuckles

Hi guys,
I guess it's safe to say that the "breakaway" part to protect the steering is the front knuckles. I haven't pulled any balls through the plastic, but 2 (decent, but flat) side impacts with the wall, and they both broke at the same place (2 different occasions) right where the steering arm part that holds the ball connects to the actual knuckle.

OK - Wait! I know I shouldn't hit the walls...and I usually don't, but today we "had" to run in Ft. Myers and the track was damp/dry and cool from earlier rain....

Is there a decent hopup to cure this problem (while I'm learning to not hit the walls ???

Hope everyone had a good raceday today!
Marktur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 07:51 PM   #7025
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to mtx3racer Send a message via AIM to mtx3racer

try the gpm aluminum knuckles, they'll help
mtx3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 07:54 PM   #7026
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Marktur
Default Re: GPM knuckles

Question - I bought some a while back for my V1R...the 5mm retaining nut always changed. How do you stop the nut from moving, without introduce binding? It was a delrin nut if I remember correctly, so I couldn't use locktite...

Are you using them?

Thanks,
Mark

PS. Who's selling them?
Marktur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:16 PM   #7027
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

I use a bit of shoe goo on mine, just a little bit!!
Old 08-10-2003, 08:33 PM   #7028
Tech Fanatic

Try a bit of teflon thread tape.

Last edited by EVOLUTION; 08-10-2003 at 09:04 PM.
EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:35 PM   #7029
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Update

Quote:
Originally posted by RClover
from the pics it looks to me that your rear shocks are not properly aligned?
Yea..that's true coz I not done tune it yet.. Still in progress.
esham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:57 PM   #7030
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
AH10,

Worth the money?
I am still in the break in process on this motor, but let me share some of the highlights I have on this engine with you guys!

I was running it yesterday at Crystal Park raceway and outside temp was very close to 100F, and asphalt temp is at the north side of 140f

1. Idle it really really rich for the first 5 tanks
2. Ran it with really really rich for 2 tanks
3. graduatly lean it to hit 160 for another 2 tanks
4. start leanning it to hit 190 for another tank
5. then kept the engine at 206~209 for the rest of the day(constantly monitoring it every other laps)

under the extreme heat I didnt want to go crazy and get carry away!

this engine has very strong mid range and top end even when I am still runing it at 206, (I also richen up the bottom end I want to have more fuel into it during the break in process). This engine is ballisticly fast already during break in process!

Now back to your question Stefan, is it worth the dope? well this is a hard question, I have, had been debating with myself should I spend that kind of money for a 12 size engine? is it that fast for over 3 bills? I was also debating between the Fantini and the Rody tune!
What makes me made the decision on the Fantini are: 1st a new NS5 is already in the north side of $230us, it is alot more then the last generation S5 (I paid around $150us for it). If the NS5 is still in the $150range then I WILL not get the Fantini!

I have also seen alot of images on this engine before I made my decision (This one has to go to Manticore, he sent me images of the engine, very detail part by part images) very very nice work on the engine.

After running it yesterday for around 20 tanks including the whole break in process, I would get this engine in a heart beat if I have to! unless like I mentioned above, those NS series engine drop their prices to where is supposed to be!

Just my $0.02

I will post another review next saturday night or sunday morning after the 2nd run, it should be more interesting next week as the engine is loosen up and tune it to where the power is!

Oh one more thing, I will need to go higher gearing, this engine is so powerful, I am currently using 17/21 with 48/43, I will use 18/22 with 47/42.
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 09:03 PM   #7031
Tech Initiate

Hi,
Can any of you guys convince me that an MTX-3 is better than a serpent 705? I'm tired of running a NTC3 and will either go with an R40, MTX-3, or 705. Any suggestions?
SpeedyOB-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 09:12 PM   #7032
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedyOB-4
Hi,
Can any of you guys convince me that an MTX-3 is better than a serpent 705? I'm tired of running a NTC3 and will either go with an R40, MTX-3, or 705. Any suggestions?
SpeedyOB-4, honestly there will not be an answer for your question! I truely believe all the kits out there(those in the same league) are pretty close!

I guess you will need to check on parts availablilty from your LHS, and also cost wise! I know some Brand has cheaper price and some has higher, like Snake!

I have not ran snake nor NTC4 nor R40, but I am very happy with the MTX3. Oh i have seen how the R40 ran today, it seems like it is handling pretty good and it fact Hara won the Roar National today with the R40
Old 08-10-2003, 09:20 PM   #7033
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah10
I am still in the break in process on this motor, but let me share some of the highlights I have on this engine with you guys!

I was running it yesterday at Crystal Park raceway and outside temp was very close to 100F, and asphalt temp is at the north side of 140f

1. Idle it really really rich for the first 5 tanks
2. Ran it with really really rich for 2 tanks
3. graduatly lean it to hit 160 for another 2 tanks
4. start leanning it to hit 190 for another tank
5. then kept the engine at 206~209 for the rest of the day(constantly monitoring it every other laps)

under the extreme heat I didnt want to go crazy and get carry away!

this engine has very strong mid range and top end even when I am still runing it at 206, (I also richen up the bottom end I want to have more fuel into it during the break in process). This engine is ballisticly fast already during break in process!

Now back to your question Stefan, is it worth the dope? well this is a hard question, I have, had been debating with myself should I spend that kind of money for a 12 size engine? is it that fast for over 3 bills? I was also debating between the Fantini and the Rody tune!
What makes me made the decision on the Fantini are: 1st a new NS5 is already in the north side of $230us, it is alot more then the last generation S5 (I paid around $150us for it). If the NS5 is still in the $150range then I WILL not get the Fantini!

I have also seen alot of images on this engine before I made my decision (This one has to go to Manticore, he sent me images of the engine, very detail part by part images) very very nice work on the engine.

After running it yesterday for around 20 tanks including the whole break in process, I would get this engine in a heart beat if I have to! unless like I mentioned above, those NS series engine drop their prices to where is supposed to be!

Just my $0.02

I will post another review next saturday night or sunday morning after the 2nd run, it should be more interesting next week as the engine is loosen up and tune it to where the power is!

Oh one more thing, I will need to go higher gearing, this engine is so powerful, I am currently using 17/21 with 48/43, I will use 18/22 with 47/42.

Thanks Buddy.
Yeah, it's amazing what Trinity did to the engine prices..

Where did you get yours and how much was it?

Thx again
Old 08-10-2003, 10:06 PM   #7034
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks Buddy.
Yeah, it's amazing what Trinity did to the engine prices..

Where did you get yours and how much was it?

Thx again
i got it from just rc as special order, email him he will take care of you
Old 08-10-2003, 10:12 PM   #7035
Tech Initiate

Yeh, I watched Hara, Easton, Burch, and everone else today at the race, but to me, that's not what it's all about. In my opinion, Ralph Burch had the fastest car out there. He caught up to the other cars within a few laps after flaming out several times. Did you see the top end on that car? WOW! that car was flying at the end of the straight! Anyway, I'm looking at performance, customer support, durability, reliability, etc. Sure the winning record is important, but only if all the other factors follow with it. So mainly what I'd like to know is what experiences you guys have had with parts, performance, and how well the manufacture responds to your needs.
Thanks!
SpeedyOB-4 is offline   Reply With Quote