R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-22-2003, 11:11 AM   #6661
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm probably missing something... As usual Seems to me that uneven tire wear is not only due to a chassis that is tweaked. Sorry to insist on this subject but I'm trying to make sense out of this.
Here's an example: I start a thirty minute race with four foams that have the same diameter and I checked the chassis for tweak and everything is OK. Everything else on the car's set up is right on the button for the track I'm racing on. After the race, the four tires are not the same diameter. Could this be because there were more left turns on the track or vice versa. And now that the tires are different in size, does this make a tweak in the chassis. If it does, why check tweak in the first place? Should I check if my chassis is tweaked before a race so this will give a good starting point to my set up even though I know the chassis will be tweaked after the race?

Does this make sense or is my brain tweaked
mistercrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:21 AM   #6662
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

you do have a point there

but how many of us here are really that sensitive to the tweak created by tire wear? or tweak when DRIVING (not braking) at all?

my car is tweaked, but it runs just fine, as long as the tweak doesnt affect your driving, it would be fine
if both turning left and right have the same radius, the car doesnt torque steer much, then i will consider it good

setting the car on the tweak statin and checking the tweak is one thing, however, when running the car, the tweak changes (due to the position of piston inside the engine)
so no matter how balanceed your car is on the tweak station, when running, it will always be tweaked, no matter what
due to the nature of our engines, it is just what happens.
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:47 AM   #6663
Tech Addict

Ok thanks.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:37 PM   #6664
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mrcrash

Having more turn in one direction is precisely the reason for uneven tire wear. In a long race...the outside tire will alway have greater wear. Similarly, the rears will wear faster than the fronts...(softer compound). Because of this... a lot of us run the rear tires slightly larger than the fronts and some even run the outside slightly larger as well. How much stagger you run will obviously depend on how much wear you are experiencing...(during the qualifiers)... Lastly, finding the right splits that yeilds the greatest range of optimum performance will be your challenge.

B

While these cars do have a certain amount of gyroscopic effect...it is not that noticeable. Now...if the engines are mounted inline and motor is layed down..ie piston is now moving side to side as oposed to up and down....then...
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 02:28 PM   #6665
Tech Initiate

where beside speedtechrc can i buy the mugen power pack
pro3user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 02:35 PM   #6666
Tech Master

Default Rollout and Gear ratio chart

I was helped greatly by a friend last weekend and his gear ratio and rollout chart, dloaded off the Mugen website.

I can't remember how to use the chart, can anyone help a brutha out?

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 02:43 PM   #6667
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cartman
Default Springs serpant and mugen

does any one know the spring rates in pounds / inch
Old 07-22-2003, 02:56 PM   #6668
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Lastly, finding the right splits that yeilds the greatest range of optimum performance will be your challenge.

B
Can I run split tires on a stock MTX3 or do I need the 16/19 conversion to do this.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:21 PM   #6669
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by mistercrash
Can I run split tires on a stock MTX3 or do I need the 16/19 conversion to do this.
The thing to remember here is that I am only talking about tire wear management for a long main... I have only ran with the stock pulleys, the most I've ran was 1mm larger rears. After a 30 min. race the rears were about 1.5 mm smaller. So you see... it could of easily been a 2.5mm + difference if I had not started out bigger in the rear.
I suppose 16/19 conv. might be better in long races in maintaining close to a 1 to 1 ratio... With a much greater split ... 4mm??? with a smaller circumference at the front tire, the wear rate might increase enough to equalize the rear's rate. But... I 've never tried it...
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:59 PM   #6670
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Marktur
Default Big Race - New HUGE Track!

Hi guys,
Anyone in the South Florida area needs to know about our new track, and big events coming in the month of August.

http://www.PalmBeachSoftware.com/domains/bethesda

This is just the staging server, and will be moved to our club domain in the next day or so.

Anyway, make sure you check out the track. It's big enough for 1/5 scale! 16 foot wide lanes, huge pit lane, and the track works! Plenty of "FAST" and plenty of technical mixed in.

The 1/8 scale cars were blazing doing probably 70mph down the long straight this last Sunday.

We've been working on this for quite a while, and have over $7,000 invested. 10' high drivers stand with canopy, too.

We're having a BIG TROPHY race on August 3, and you are all invited. All racers will get a free barbeque lunch with their entry fee!

Can you guys check out the site and let me know what you think? I hope some of you can make it down and run with us. We're a group of pretty cool guys that like to race and have FUN! You are all WELCOME!

Thanks,
Mark
Marktur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:04 PM   #6671
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Marktur
Default Big Race...

PS. Online signups will be working within a day or so. Sorry....but don't worry, you won't get locked out of signup...everybody will run who wants to!
Marktur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:34 PM   #6672
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
B

While these cars do have a certain amount of gyroscopic effect...it is not that noticeable. Now...if the engines are mounted inline and motor is layed down..ie piston is now moving side to side as oposed to up and down....then... [/B]
Then what happens, you have a new nitro powered car made by ????

Last edited by Roger; 07-22-2003 at 07:30 PM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:28 PM   #6673
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i used to have an LD engine on super ten
but never got to try it

but, take the NEO T21 for example, even though the car is balanced on the tweak station, since the engine is not as "centered" as the touring cars we have now , when u acclerate hard, the car will jerk to one side, however, if you place the engine closer to the middle, the torque steer will be less..
so you can feel the affect of the engine.

even now, place your car on a wet parking lot...(not WATERY wet), just not dry ground, accelerate heavy

the car will jerk to the right then go straight...because the piston is on the left end, the car will jerk to right .

so in my opinion, you can feel the affect of the engine movement. jhowever, on a high traction track, you cannot feel it.
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:57 PM   #6674
Tech Initiate

where can i buy a charger for my mugen 730 power pack
pro3user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 01:08 AM   #6675
Tech Addict

any hobby shops that sell battery chargers
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote