R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-21-2003, 01:06 PM   #6616
Tech Adept

Default Stock Pillow ball hold up good...

Hi,

Is the stock pillow ball hold up good? Do you guys have any problem with it. (does it bend a lot or broke a lot?)
Do you keep that as spare parts.
US_MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:33 PM   #6617
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by esham
Anybody can recommend me a good referance setup and tuning book or magazine available in market? Need one..Thanks
I use this book. I find it very helpful. Mpowered Racing chassis set up guide version 3.0
mistercrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:37 PM   #6618
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to mtx3racer Send a message via AIM to mtx3racer

us_matrix, the pillow balls hold up great, almost everybody at the track runs the mtx 3 and some take some hard hits, haven't bent or broke any of them
mtx3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:38 PM   #6619
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to puma1824

Anyone have the link to the online manual?

Thanks,
Puma
puma1824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:56 PM   #6620
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Marktur

Quote:
Originally posted by B
are you using the ft gear diff?
or the one way??
I'm using the one-way. The trick to one-ways is making sure you check your tweak ALL THE TIME. If you car's balanced properly, than you should be fine on tight tracks. I just upgraded from a NTC3, and it was awesome on the tighter track that I sometimes run on....I was afraid that the Mugen would not do so well with the one-way, and actually was about to order the parts to build the diff....well, the first set of tires were used, and I didn't check my tweak, and man, I was all over the place....

Then we cut some new tires...reset the tweak...and WOW! I can hit the brakes whenever I want...
Marktur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:07 PM   #6621
Tech Initiate

Default Re: MTX-3 vs NTC3

I just sold my NTC3 a month ago....it had so many hopups on it that it really belonged in my wife's China Cabinet, not an RC track....boy was it pretty! And Boy, did it break at EVERY race!

Swapped up to the Mugen....only hopups I'm using is front CVD's...and the Teflon brake pads. Other than that, this car is about as solid as you can make a 1/10 scale car! Tough as a tank, and drives like butter.

Get rid of the TC3, have no worries -- this car is the BOMB!
Old 07-21-2003, 02:28 PM   #6622
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to mtx3racer Send a message via AIM to mtx3racer

yeah the mtx 3 is the best car i ever built and driven. It handles anything you throw at it. When i had my tc3 it was very FRAGILE. My mtx 3 took off last week when some one was on my freq. and the car only broke a shock shaft. Almost a full speed blow to 4 in. pvc. What a tuff car!!! Thanks Mugen Seiki
mtx3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:12 PM   #6623
Tech Initiate

is there a speed diffenernce between tc3 and mtx-3
pro3user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:46 PM   #6624
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish
Default Re: Stock Pillow ball hold up good...

Quote:
Originally posted by US_MATRIX
Hi,

Is the stock pillow ball hold up good? Do you guys have any problem with it. (does it bend a lot or broke a lot?)
Do you keep that as spare parts.
I haven't yet broken any pillow ball. Will definitely post pictures of it if I ever did.
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:51 PM   #6625
Tech Initiate

Default Speed Difference

Well, I was skeptical before I drove the Mugen....it's "beefier"...maybe a little heavier....but the drive train was tight just rolling it around on my bench....and I really don't drive with drag brakes and go so comfy with the TC3 holding it's speed when off-throttle, so I was a bit worried.....until I put a couple of tanks under my belt. Everything loosened up, and now it rolls pretty freely.

Last weekend was the first time I was able to race, and on a nice track - Ft. Meyers - Where Barry Baker in the NTC3 won the "Worlds" at the beginning of the year...I qualified for the A main in 6th place, and had a pretty decent run. Speed was definitely NOT a problem...I was using the highest gearing you can get for the car, and it was perfect down the long straight. Just as fast, if not faster than the NTC3 was last time I was there.

With my NTC3 I was using an RB .12 ROAR legal, and with the MTX I splurged and got the Michael Salvin .12. Needless to say, the MTX-3 is FAST!

Anyway, after last weekend, I can tell you that I made the RIGHT decision by not keeping the Associated car. It just couldn't handle the bigger tracks...
Old 07-21-2003, 05:21 PM   #6626
Tech Master

Quote:
Agreed. I think i should always drive a car with cracked parts!
I didn't say they were cracked, they usually pull over the pillow balls without cracking the uprights. Unless they're microscopic cracks...

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 05:47 PM   #6627
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default rear anti squat blocks

sorry guys,,,tried searching. the difference in the blocks in the kit and the biggest adjustment you have found to do to help rear end stay planted during cornering....THANKS
rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 05:58 PM   #6628
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to puma1824

OK so now I'm confused on which is the best fix for missing dogbones and/or broken CVDs.

Which methods has everyone tried and their results? Which method have you sticked with?

BTW anyone have the link for the online manual?

Hopefully I should have my front diff washers before the weekend They just switched back to a tight road course parking lot setup from a boring oval

I was thinking about running a front diff since the course is small and with tight turns. Opinions?

Is the stock setup good for low to med traction?

Thanks,
Puma
puma1824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 06:29 PM   #6629
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Speed Difference

Quote:
Originally posted by Marktur
Well, I was skeptical before I drove the Mugen....it's "beefier"...maybe a little heavier....but the drive train was tight just rolling it around on my bench....and I really don't drive with drag brakes and go so comfy with the TC3 holding it's speed when off-throttle, so I was a bit worried.....until I put a couple of tanks under my belt. Everything loosened up, and now it rolls pretty freely.

Last weekend was the first time I was able to race, and on a nice track - Ft. Meyers - Where Barry Baker in the NTC3 won the "Worlds" at the beginning of the year...I qualified for the A main in 6th place, and had a pretty decent run. Speed was definitely NOT a problem...I was using the highest gearing you can get for the car, and it was perfect down the long straight. Just as fast, if not faster than the NTC3 was last time I was there.

With my NTC3 I was using an RB .12 ROAR legal, and with the MTX I splurged and got the Michael Salvin .12. Needless to say, the MTX-3 is FAST!

Anyway, after last weekend, I can tell you that I made the RIGHT decision by not keeping the Associated car. It just couldn't handle the bigger tracks...
Was that the last race there?Did lance win that race driving a mugen?
By the way last saturday i broke the rear bulk heads where they attach to the rear shock mount.Has this happened to anyone?sure seemed odd.
alvinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:00 PM   #6630
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by puma1824
OK so now I'm confused on which is the best fix for missing dogbones and/or broken CVDs.

Which methods has everyone tried and their results? Which method have you sticked with?

BTW anyone have the link for the online manual?

Hopefully I should have my front diff washers before the weekend They just switched back to a tight road course parking lot setup from a boring oval

I was thinking about running a front diff since the course is small and with tight turns. Opinions?

Is the stock setup good for low to med traction?

Thanks,
Puma

Here is the manual !
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote