R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-13-2003, 11:11 AM   #6391
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
I saw a MAX at the track yesterday. the engine rev very fast with good torque. but the driver was reluctant to use full throttle. may be he is too worry to do that ! but what's the point of running a max?
This weekend were 3 units of the 3 port MAX running on our National round (are very noticeable with their orange head). And all three got the a$$ whipped. First engine on the A main was an RB V12, two were Novarossi (NS12 and RS12), two NovaMegas, 2 JP and 3 NovaMAX.

Is fair to say that the weather conditions were adverse, but were for all the engines, and they resulted 'weak', probably were units who lacked run-in, but weren't as powerful as seemed to me at first looks.

After a full weekend battling with engine and carb setup found something that alleviated the natural bogging that predated all the engines (usual setup was about 1 1/2 or 2 turns opened than the normal low-end needle) to have an extra cooling. Simply reduce about 0.1mm the chamber height with the same plug - this worked to me and some friends, use at your risk.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 01:13 PM   #6392
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default SQUARE v.s Kawahara

wen it comes to SQUARE v.s Kawahara?

which company makes better upgrade parts for the mtx-3 in terms of quality, rigitity, and effectiveness

inputs are much appreciated
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:17 PM   #6393
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan
Thumbs down

Has anybody tried to use the MTX2 front uprights on the MTX3?

I'm soooo sick of these uprights pulling over the pillowballs at the lightest brush and the universal breaking all the time.

This cost me 3 great races in 3 weeks.
I'm about to sell that sucker.

It NEVER happened with my MTX2, so I thought of replacing the uprights and universals with MTX2 parts.

Any opinions or experience?

Thx
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:30 PM   #6394
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan

I'm soooo sick of these uprights pulling over the pillowballs at the lightest brush and the universal breaking all the time.

It NEVER happened with my MTX2, so I thought of replacing the uprights and universals with MTX2 parts.

Thx
Hi stefan,

Mine was popped out a couple of times. Inspected for any crack and breakage, found nothing. had to spend time putting it back in and check the setup. Kinda wasted time here a bit.

First I thought the problem was from using the SQUARE Ti Pillow balls, but I guess not, since I bet you use the stock pillow balls, and it still happens.

I still have many parts for my MTX-2. Will not wait a sec if I learn that it can be swapable.
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 06:30 PM   #6395
Tech Master

Soon, I will be getting Delrin Rear Arms, Delrin Front Upper/Lower Arms for the car.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:47 PM   #6396
Tech Elite

Quote:

Thx
So far from what i heard the MTX-2 parts and MTX-3 are not interchangable, 'cept for some who are using the front dogbones from the 2 on the 3 coz its abit longer.

the best advise i get from people around the track to prevent the pulling over of the pillow balls and braeaking of universals are

DONT KNOCK!!!
Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 07:09 PM   #6397
Tech Master

On the discussion on NovaMax, do u guys run it with additional shimming on top of the stock silver pc? I put 2 pc of copper and the performance of the engine is nothing spectacular, similar to a new S5. The engine looks sluggish from low to mid end but the punch is there.
hurhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 07:18 PM   #6398
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by hurhur
On the discussion on NovaMax, do u guys run it with additional shimming on top of the stock silver pc? I put 2 pc of copper and the performance of the engine is nothing spectacular, similar to a new S5. The engine looks sluggish from low to mid end but the punch is there.
This depends on what % nitro you use for the engine.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:21 PM   #6399
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:

Thx
I think all you need is two 10X15 bearings and two MTX-2 axles to do the swap.

I think the MTX-3 plastic is softer compared to that of the MTX-2. I noticed that the MTX-3 uprights doesnt crack like the MTX-2's when the pivot ball pulls out.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 07:51 PM   #6400
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by eddiethefish
This depends on what % nitro you use for the engine.
25%
hurhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 10:01 PM   #6401
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Ok here is the deal:

I just put a MTX2 knuckle on my MTX3. It fits perfectly, BUT it allows for about 10-15 degrees less steering throw to the inside, which means a much larger turning radius and less Ackermann.

The greater steering throw of MTX3 hubs is most likely also the reason for the breaking of the universals and pulling the knuckle over the pillow balls.

The question now is, how much would the change affect turning ability of the car?
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 10:14 PM   #6402
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Hey Stefan, you were brutally fast today, did you stick around to hear who won?

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 10:54 PM   #6403
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
Three words: Novarossi spare parts.
You're absolutely right. Thanks for reminding me that genuine parts are always the best option.

Regarding the MTX2 parts being compatible with the MTX3, I broke a rear susp. arm and didn't have a spare, so I used one from my MTX2. Other than the link for the sway bar being at a slightly different place, the arm fit nicely and kept me racing instead of packing my stuff. I didn't take measurements but I'm pretty sure the upper and lower front arms of the MTX2 can be installed on the MTX3.
mistercrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 11:00 PM   #6404
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: SQUARE v.s Kawahara

Quote:
Originally posted by B
wen it comes to SQUARE v.s Kawahara?

which company makes better upgrade parts for the mtx-3 in terms of quality, rigitity, and effectiveness

inputs are much appreciated
in general, kawahara is much better in terms of quality.
but, the alu pulleys from the kawahara are not as durable..
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 12:11 AM   #6405
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: SQUARE v.s Kawahara

Quote:
Originally posted by RClover
in general, kawahara is much better in terms of quality.
but, the alu pulleys from the kawahara are not as durable..
I would go for SQUARE all the way, as oppose to Kawahara. Kawahara is known for its innovation and being the leader. SQUARE just costs more, and I just happen to like the artistically details it has to offer.