R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2003, 07:40 AM   #6301
Tech Apprentice
 
alvinm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: pembroke pines fl.
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
Alvinm:

If you go some pages before, you will find between the late night and the boring mornings chit-chat, some posts regarding 16/19 conversion.

This is a swap of the center pulleys to get a better rear tyre wear (all cars have the nasty habit of wear more the rear tyres than the fronts). Is only advised on Foams, on rubber, since the problem of different diameters isn't present, you don't need it (read that you run on rubbers on a previous post).

For more info (in the case you're too lazy to search those posts ) is swapping the rear center (19T pulley) for a 16T and changing the front center pulley from 24T to 19T, hence the name 16/19T conversion.
Corse-R
Will this give you the exact ratio as stock no matter what tire size or do you have to run a certain diameter?By the way I"m using foams.Thanks for all the info.
alvinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 07:59 AM   #6302
Tech Elite
 
Corse-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Madrid (Spain)
Posts: 2,121
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by alvinm
Corse-R
Will this give you the exact ratio as stock no matter what tire size or do you have to run a certain diameter?By the way I"m using foams.Thanks for all the info.
The ratio remains unchanged, but to use correctly you need to use a tyre split of 3mm (i.e: 64mm rear with 61mm front, 63mm rear and 60mm fronts and so on...).

If not use with split sized tyres, the front end will pull so much and your car will be FWD and be twitchy to drive.
__________________
Cheers,
Corse-R
---
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 08:27 AM   #6303
Tech Apprentice
 
alvinm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: pembroke pines fl.
Posts: 95
Default

Sounds good,I guess you have to change belts as well?Are there any pulleys for the side belt that would accomplish simular results?
alvinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 08:55 AM   #6304
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 778
Send a message via Yahoo to speedy100
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
The ratio remains unchanged, but to use correctly you need to use a tyre split of 3mm (i.e: 64mm rear with 61mm front, 63mm rear and 60mm fronts and so on...).

If not use with split sized tyres, the front end will pull so much and your car will be FWD and be twitchy to drive.
hi corse-R, is it mandatory to use the kawahara pully for using 16/19T ? thanks..
speedy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 09:22 AM   #6305
Tech Elite
 
Vinyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,493
Default Kawahara Neg Diff

Just tried the neg diff..... works great.
great punch out of the corners working down on the straight..
problem is my diff's sealed bearings were blown out!

Any solutions to that?
would changing from sealed bearings to conventional metal kinds do the trick.. ??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bearing.jpg (25.7 KB, 134 views)
Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 09:50 AM   #6306
Tech Fanatic
 
RClover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
If not use with split sized tyres, the front end will pull so much and your car will be FWD and be twitchy to drive. [/B]
my front belt is showing the wear of the FWD already... but this isnt a new one though.. but i can tell the effect upon changing the 16/19T conversion..

i found the car has even more steering with quicker directional change.

also, the 0.8 modules are....sweet! despite i have a 6 tooth spread, the gear change was not sluggish at all when 2nd gear kicked in down in a 100 ft stra8way...
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 09:56 AM   #6307
Tech Elite
 
Vinyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,493
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by RClover

also, the 0.8 modules are....sweet! despite i have a 6 tooth spread, the gear change was not sluggish at all when 2nd gear kicked in down in a 100 ft stra8way...
sweet eh? good smooth control all over.....
Vinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:10 AM   #6308
Tech Fanatic
 
RClover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinyard
sweet eh? good smooth control all over.....
what gearing are you running?
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:45 AM   #6309
Tech Apprentice
 
alvinm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: pembroke pines fl.
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by RClover
my front belt is showing the wear of the FWD already... but this isnt a new one though.. but i can tell the effect upon changing the 16/19T conversion..

i found the car has even more steering with quicker directional change.

also, the 0.8 modules are....sweet! despite i have a 6 tooth spread, the gear change was not sluggish at all when 2nd gear kicked in down in a 100 ft stra8way...

More steering,I like that You lost me however on the 0.8 modules?
alvinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:14 AM   #6310
Tech Elite
 
kevink2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Glendale, Calif.
Posts: 2,154
Default Re: Kawahara Neg Diff

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinyard
Just tried the neg diff..... works great.
great punch out of the corners working down on the straight..
problem is my diff's sealed bearings were blown out!

Any solutions to that?
would changing from sealed bearings to conventional metal kinds do the trick.. ??
I damaged my first set by installing them last, after the diff was built. I found it's supposed to be captured between the drive cup and the diff case, installed before you seal everything up. I just forced them on, and they blew up like yours.
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:04 PM   #6311
Tech Champion
 
Manticore's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Heaven
Posts: 9,999
Default NS12 S5

just stripped it down. too lazy to post it up ! here is one !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00028.jpg (61.0 KB, 154 views)
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:31 PM   #6312
B
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,159
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

has anyone tried the ft gear diff for the mtx-3?

i am thinking of getting one, however, there is a guy at my LHS who kept having problems with it and got so frusterated that he switched back to the one way

anyone encountered any problems with the gear diff?

to me, it should work fine?!?
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 01:16 PM   #6313
Tech Initiate
 
Marktur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 39
Send a message via AIM to Marktur
Default Re: Kawahara Negative Diff

How did it drive? Was it like having drag-brakes when coming off of a high-speed run?

I just switched to the MTX-3 from the NTC3, which I really loved but broke too easily....but I really liked the lack of rolling resistance when coming off the throttle...for my style of driving (no drag brakes, minimum rolling resistance), do you guys think the negative diff will improve MY lap times?

It's a big investment for a "test"....

Thanks,
Mark
Marktur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 01:51 PM   #6314
Tech Master
 
eddiethefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montebello, California
Posts: 1,658
Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish
Default Re: Kawahara Neg Diff

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinyard
Just tried the neg diff..... works great.
great punch out of the corners working down on the straight..
problem is my diff's sealed bearings were blown out!

Any solutions to that?
would changing from sealed bearings to conventional metal kinds do the trick.. ??
I have no problem on any of my neg. diff.
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 01:52 PM   #6315
Tech Master
 
eddiethefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montebello, California
Posts: 1,658
Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish
Default Re: Re: Kawahara Neg Diff

Quote:
Originally posted by kevink2
I damaged my first set by installing them last, after the diff was built. I found it's supposed to be captured between the drive cup and the diff case, installed before you seal everything up. I just forced them on, and they blew up like yours.
Hope you didn't damage the bearing inside the diff, as well.
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MUGEN MBX5R/MUGEN MBX5T PROSPEC/TRAXXAS RACE REVO Jason Halvorson R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 01-12-2008 10:32 AM
Mugen 5T Chassis, Mugen 46 Tooth Pinion, Associated Ride Height Gauge bretzkej R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 08-19-2007 06:31 PM
USA's Most Wanted FOR SALE Mugen MBX5R,Losi 8 comp, and Mugen MBX5T Prospec Truggy nobike R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 69 04-28-2007 07:45 PM
Another MTX3 prospec w lots of parts and an optional Mugen X12 w Mugen pipe Scott Fisher R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 11-21-2005 05:45 PM
drake xxx nt and mugen mst-1+extras......Looking for a kanai 2 or maybe mugen buggy [email protected] R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 06-30-2003 09:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:12 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net