R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-31-2003, 11:27 PM   #4486
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
Originally posted by puma1824
So the coning is normal? I just read in a rc car mag to make the camber so the tires don't cone...help I'm confused. I come from a rubber tire background.

Thanks,
Puma
Manti, correct me if I am wrong, could it be his rear susp too soft so compressed all the way when making turns, and when it is compressed camber increase?
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 11:35 PM   #4487
Tech Champion

Quote:
So the coning is normal? I just read in a rc car mag to make the camber so the tires don't cone...help I'm confused. I come from a rubber tire background.

Thanks,
Puma
what is your setup?
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 11:38 PM   #4488
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah10
Manti, correct me if I am wrong, could it be his rear susp too soft so compressed all the way when making turns, and when it is compressed camber increase?
not necessary the case. I use the stock blue spring on a medium to high traction track. my rear camber is like 4' and my tire wear flat.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:43 AM   #4489
PMT
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
what else you can say other then ass or idiot?
i said you bull shit a lot. better save your time to count your tires and work out your 0.0001 tire ratio table. you will be next world champion

Actualy it's funny that you say that. Looking at the info that I posted I do not see a lot of bull shit. But then again I guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder or in your case the idiot that is reading it.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Manticore
[B]it does happen once in a while to have some @ss hole comes, makes trouble and leave.

This is another post that I find humorous and TRS6 as the admin. what I'm going to say is something to think about. Manti, I have been lurking on this site since the people moved over from the origional HPI forums. So basicaly here every day for more than a year. In that time I have watched as several verry knowledgable people came onto the forum and attempt to post information and help people only to be chased off by overly agressive people who seem to feel intimidated by others that might have info that is helpfull to people. I'm not sure if it is because they have 6 gazilion posts or something and they feel like they will be de-throned or something. Unfortunately because of this type of behaviour the majority of people in the industry and pro racers will not post which is a loss to all.

Manti I state that you are acting like an idiot and an a** because by reading your posts your behaviour is clearly indicative of that. Might I offer a sugestion? If you have nothing posative or constructive to say do not say it..... In return I will do the same.

thebutcher,

if you are thinking about the person that I think you are, we are friends and race together often.

puma1824, there is nothing wrong with your rear tires coning slightly. The amount of camber that you should run can vary from left to right on your car depending on the direction you run on the track and the layout i.e. high speed sweepers v/s tight 180's amount of right turns versus lefts. Start w/ the stock set up and tires cut level. Run for 1-2 tanks and see how the tires are wearing. Grab you calipers and measure the diameter on the inside of the tire and then the outside. What you want to do is set camber so that you get about .5mm cone on the rear tires. To do this you might have to do the above a couple of times (no need to re-true tires between runs).When you have this set you will find that you will have different camber settings on each side of the car and this is fine. One side might be -3 the other might be -2.5 but your are ensuring that the same amount of tire stays in contact with the surface when cornering (both sides) which is why they will be coning equaly.
PMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 01:12 AM   #4490
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to puma1824

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
what is your setup?
Rear toe in: 2
Front toe out: 1
Front Camber: -1
Rear Camber: -2

Front and rear spring stock blue

Shock wt 60 F+R

No idea why it's coning

-Puma
puma1824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 01:17 AM   #4491
Tech Champion

Quote:
Rear toe in: 2
Front toe out: 1
Front Camber: -1
Rear Camber: -2

Front and rear spring stock blue

Shock wt 60 F+R

No idea why it's coning

-Puma
try to give your full set up especially the rear end including diff oil and also the condition of your track.

without the information, whatever advice is BS.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:35 AM   #4492
PMT
Tech Apprentice

Just a question but why the need to know the weight of diff oil used in order to tell some one if it is normal for their tires to be coning? Maybe I'm missing something but how does your diff oil affect your camber angle which is what dictates how your tires cone?
PMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 02:49 AM   #4493
Tech Elite

Quote:
Have any suggestions for a starting point for a foam setup?

Right now I have a -1degree camber, 2 degree rear toe in and have no idea what I should make my front setup.

I was running a -2 degree camber but the rear started to cone inward pretty bad so I changed it to -1because I heard that you should run at least -1, is this true?

ride height?
Puma:

Some days ago posted what was my ballpark setup, but as many people here can attest, stock setup is very good as a starting point. Keep the geometries and lenghts that state the manual and much probably with some subtle changes depending your track will be on the right direction.

-2 degree and the rears started to cone inward pretty bad

2 degrees and needed to remove camber? what tyre hardness you're using? How much mm you're running on the rear uprights? is the link on the inner or the outer hole for the rear link? Something smells bad on your setup. I'm quite happy running between 2 to 3 degrees of rear camber and mine tyres wear almost flat.

Ride height will depend on your track, but for my local track I'm running 4.5mm on the front and 5mm on the rear. For more info about my stock setup do a search some pages ago.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 03:01 AM   #4494
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by PMT
let me teach you a little trick that we have been using with 1/8th scale where we carry around the big 100+ pair Hudy tire storage boxes. If you own a pair of digital calipers, and I'm asuming that you do right Manti? All that you do is after each time that you run your car measure your tire diameters. Then (and this is where you will learn something) take a white paint pen and write the diameter on the tire directly on the foam. Now if you start doing this regularly all that you have to do is quickly look in your tire box and you will probably be able to find 2 of the same shore tires that are within a couple of 10ths of a milimeter of each other without having to do any tire truing. When you run the car the tire diameter that you wrote on the foam will be gone in less than a lap. Now when you take the car off the track, measure again, write diameteres on tires and quickly look for a matching pair. You will find that this is especialy helpfull on high speed tracks where you will have much higher tire wear on your outside wheels. Allows you easily have a nearly perfect 1:1 ratio every time you put your car on the track.
I have an 1/8 car and when I saw that you carry a 100 pair storage box for your car, something came to my mind? Are you tyre sponsored? Own, run and race a MRX3 with some fairly success (isn't my main scale...).

If you carry 100 pairs of tyres to your track, you may have some problems with tyre selection and very deep pockets, considering the price of a 1/8 scale tyre set and that only some hardness are used (32, 35 & 37 are used by me).

Rather than carry those bulky box I go with some sets (if I did my homework doing the setup, much probably only I need to carry 2 sets of the hardness choosen and 1 more slightly harder, total 3 sets, not 100).

As the quals and semis advance I check the size split and correct it lightly skimming or discarding a pair for racing (practice or quals probably be a quite good tyre set).

If you run on high speed tracks with unequal tyre wear, I will give you a small hint for your wear problem, use a slightly harder tyre on the sides that are more stressed (isn't uncommont to run a 35-37 on the front axle and something like a 37-37 at rears). And I assure you that the tyre wear on my case isn't a problem.

If you carry 100 pairs of tyres, I expect that you may carry too a tyre durometer, I carry much less tyre sets (probably 4 or 5 sets) and use regularly one of those.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 03:31 AM   #4495
TBR
Tech Regular

Gee you're off the web for a day and everyone adds a couple of pages.
TBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 03:33 AM   #4496
TBR
Tech Regular

What does everyone think of the Teflon brake pads??
Old 06-01-2003, 03:34 AM   #4497
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by TBR
i dont need hard brake so this is the only way for me !
Old 06-01-2003, 03:48 AM   #4498
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by TBR

Its the go for Brendale mate.... they dont "grab" as much, and feel a lot more linear. However they give less overall stopping power. But that wont be a problem on Brendale, unless the brothers our out hacking.
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 05:13 AM   #4499
TBR
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
Its the go for Brendale mate.... they dont "grab" as much, and feel a lot more linear. However they give less overall stopping power. But that wont be a problem on Brendale, unless the brothers our out hacking.
Thanks I have noted that down
Might see if JK has some in
Old 06-01-2003, 05:14 AM   #4500
TBR
Tech Regular

How did you go today Sparksy? I was to busy dodging cars flying off the end of the back straight.