R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-14-2003, 05:11 PM   #3886
Tech Regular

Default Corse -R

How do you like those Ennetti tires compared to Ellegi's or Jacos?
rcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 05:59 PM   #3887
Tech Adept

what do you mean by cone? is this like the outside wearing faster than the inside? so it is at a slant so ur camber is not accurate? something along those lines?
Nytrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 08:55 PM   #3888
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
Found that this car is happy with droop adjustments that other cars will suffer so much. Normally adjust my Droop at 1 at the front and 6 or 7 on the rear (almost the same if not the same as stock setup).

Many think that putting a lot of camber and cone the wheels is in fact 'good' (I say BAAAAAD). When you get your rear tyres with a lot of coning you are adding too rear toe-in to the rear wheels and makes the car twitchy. You need to wear the foams straight (or almost straight).
6-7 for rear droop is as if very little down travel for the shocks right, Corse-R? can i say this setting is meant for a smooth and dead flat track surface?

i use to run the rear tyres with ~1mm (coning to the inside) difference between the outer and inner diameter. isnt that a coning shape tyres provide a little more traction at the sweeper than a flat tyre surface?
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 09:58 PM   #3889
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

tire coning is not good if you have a smaller diameter at the outside of the rim. It is at least flat or a little bit coning inside of the tire. My personal liking is to have a bit coning inside to obtain higher cornering speed. that's why you tire turer machine with pre-camber feature.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 10:33 PM   #3890
Tech Elite

Rcpilot:

Using Enneti tyres because are quite the same hardness between batches and like how grips compared to Ellegis, found many surprises when I used Ellegis regarding hardness (shore disparity). And don't like Jacos. Bought a pair of sets for testing and blew the rears due to faulty glueing.

Nytrochaos:

When your tyres wear more from the outside than the inside is like you said a 'Slant that camber isn't well'. Much probably you touched the shock spring collars to change the ride height (This happened to me too).

RcLover:

Yeah, mine track is real smooth and I don't need so much shock travel. In fact I'm planning to change my shock shafts because they start to lose their shinyness on the few milimeters near the shock body.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 12:33 AM   #3891
Tech Adept

Negative Rear Diff

Just heard from the local hobby shop that these things are great?

Anyone tried one, or know where I can pick up one for my MTX-3?

Thanks

Sami
ttektek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 03:25 AM   #3892
Tech Regular

Default Droop and upstop settings

There seems to be some things that are unclear for this "newbie" with the gas cars. Here is my understanding of what I know. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Droop is the distance in mm between the ride height of the chassis and the highest point of the chassis when the suspension is lifted to where the wheels just leave the ground. In fact when i measure droop, I measure first the ride height of one end of the chassis and lift the wheels till the tires barely come off the flat surface I'm measuring from. For the rear of the car, the difference between the ride height and that distance in electric has always been about 3 to 4mm for me. For the front, it's around 2mm. If everything works correctly and the tires are properly trued you can get a fairly accurate measurement. I know I know use my Hudy set-up station. But are my assumptions of droop correct? Also how much droop/suspension travel are you guys using?

Upstop to me is new. I've never used it before. I gather that upstop limits the upward movement of the suspension arm during cornering. It stops the chassis from "rolling over to far" during corning. How do you set it? Do you measure between upstop screw and suspension arm in the rear? I see measurements of 1mm for the front and 2mm for the rear. Is this measurement based on suspension travel or physical distance bewteen screw and the part it limits?

Any help would be appreciated.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 04:04 AM   #3893
Tech Elite

Default Re: Droop and upstop settings

Quote:
Originally posted by Rayj
Upstop to me is new. I've never used it before. I gather that upstop limits the upward movement of the suspension arm during cornering. It stops the chassis from "rolling over to far" during corning. How do you set it? Do you measure between upstop screw and suspension arm in the rear? I see measurements of 1mm for the front and 2mm for the rear. Is this measurement based on suspension travel or physical distance bewteen screw and the part it limits?
Upstop works limiting the suspension travel on the compression side as Downstops acts on the expansion side. Avoids bottoming out, but is a two edge razor. If you adjust the upstop to not bottoming out (and scoring) your chassis and you attack the 'piano' on the track, probably the shock travel shouldn't be enough, bottom out and you uplift a wheel and end rolling off if the car doesn't get airborne.

On all mine cars I don't use upstops and left unlimited the shock travel... found quite messy and many people get confused with it screwing badly the setups.

On some indoor tracks (mostly carpet or polished wood) is enforced the use of upstops to not damage the surface, but isn't our case
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 04:09 AM   #3894
Tech Regular

Default Thanks Corse-r

I feel the same about up stops. If it's set wrong your chassis becomes to limited.

How much suspension travel do you usually use in the front for droop. 1, 2, 3mm?

For the rear, 1,2,3mm?
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 04:10 AM   #3895
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Droop and upstop settings

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
Upstop works limiting the suspension travel on the compression side as Downstops acts on the expansion side. Avoids bottoming out, but is a two edge razor. If you adjust the upstop to not bottoming out (and scoring) your chassis and you attack the 'piano' on the track, probably the shock travel shouldn't be enough, bottom out and you uplift a wheel and end rolling off if the car doesn't get airborne.

On all mine cars I don't use upstops and left unlimited the shock travel... found quite messy and many people get confused with it screwing badly the setups.

On some indoor tracks (mostly carpet or polished wood) is enforced the use of upstops to not damage the surface, but isn't our case
use of rear upstop make you "bottom out" earlier and the car acts very funny.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:34 AM   #3896
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T
Default Re: Re: Re: Droop and upstop settings

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
use of rear upstop make you "bottom out" earlier and the car acts very funny.
Does keep your chassis nice and pretty :

BlueRC | www.bluerc.net
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 04:48 AM   #3897
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Droop and upstop settings

Quote:
Originally posted by Novarossi
Does keep your chassis nice and pretty :
yseless, i dont normally show the bottom side of the chassis to others on the track !
Old 05-15-2003, 04:53 AM   #3898
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Droop and upstop settings

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
yseless, i dont normally show the bottom side of the chassis to others on the track !
Ok Ok, good comeback

BlueRC | www.bluerc.net
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 07:37 AM   #3899
Tech Champion

How about this?

the clip is annoying !!

Old 05-15-2003, 07:44 AM   #3900
Tech Fanatic

what handling would i expect if i switch from Rear Diff #30000 to #3000?
i'll be joining a new parking lot track race this weekend. Tested there today and found lack of steering while entering into tight S-corner and 180 deg turns.
This track is low-medium grip and track surface is 80%-90% flat except the straight is a little uneven.

Here's my setup:

Front:
Shock oil - 600
Spring - Blue
Downstop - 1mm
Anti Roll - Flat
Ride Height - 7.0mm
Caster - Stock
Camber - 2 deg
Toe Out - 1 deg
Shock position - Stock
Tyre - Stock 37 shore
A ankerman

Rear:
Shock oil - 600
Spring - Purple
Downstop - 5mm
Sway Bar - Stock
Ride Height - 8.5mm
Camber - 4 deg
Toe In - 2.5 deg
Rear Diff - #30000 (HPI Diff Oil)
Shock Position - Lowest
Tyre - Ellegi 40 shore
Rear Block - Stock
Rear upright spacers - Stock at 1.5mm

I have 2 untested settings in mind seeking for opinions:-

1. Change front tyre to 35 shore and rear 37 shore?
2. Put back the Rear Blue spring and change rear diff oil to #3000, will this give more steering?

Give me your comments and suggestions..cheers
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote