R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-20-2003, 07:36 PM   #3001
Tech Regular

i c.... so will haveing a lighter car make the handleing worse??? and at my track i dont think they check the weight... so more me would it be better to have a lighter car??? and is this car the lightest of the bunch???
supra528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 08:20 PM   #3002
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

In most conditions I think a lighter car is an advantage. A lighter car is able to transition quicker. On unwieldy tracks at very high speeds a lighter car can be more difficult to control, but the majority of the time lighter is better.

I think what these guys are saying is that the mtx3 is already very light and in stock trim (depending on engine) can come in under the legal weight. So other than maybe being concerned with lightening up the rotating mass parts, there isn't much need to be concerned with weight on the mtx3.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 08:22 PM   #3003
Tech Regular

ok.... cuz my track is not about speed... more technical... so i guess this car would deff. be an option... but i need my $$$ first!!!
Old 04-20-2003, 09:16 PM   #3004
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan N.
Also with weight your car is more stable.
hmm...i dont quite agree with your statement...
well, does that mean F1 car is 'not so stable' because it only weights 600kg but can travel up to 350km/h...???
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 09:18 PM   #3005
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by supra528
ok.... cuz my track is not about speed... more technical... so i guess this car would deff. be an option... but i need my $$$ first!!!
i thought you'd chosen the 705 last week? This is your 2nd car now?
Old 04-20-2003, 10:30 PM   #3006
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

Quote:
Originally posted by RClover
hmm...i dont quite agree with your statement...
well, does that mean F1 car is 'not so stable' because it only weights 600kg but can travel up to 350km/h...???
Can you really be the one to say that an F1 car is so stable? If that were the case, you'd see your average joe drivning one of these things( If they could afford it). I'm not going to be the one who definitively says F1 cars are unstable because it is not my place either, BUT I will wager that they are unstable, rediculously at that. Why do you think they call it the pinnacle of motorsports?...cause these guys can deal with that kind of sh_t. And from what I can tell from those overhead-cockpit views, that's quite a lot of steering correction for a car that seems to be traveling in a straight line.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:32 AM   #3007
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing4Evo
Can you really be the one to say that an F1 car is so stable? If that were the case, you'd see your average joe drivning one of these things( If they could afford it). I'm not going to be the one who definitively says F1 cars are unstable because it is not my place either, BUT I will wager that they are unstable, rediculously at that. Why do you think they call it the pinnacle of motorsports?...cause these guys can deal with that kind of sh_t. And from what I can tell from those overhead-cockpit views, that's quite a lot of steering correction for a car that seems to be traveling in a straight line.

Err....i didnt say F1 car is so stable too!
I was taking a simple illustration to compare the the weight issue relative to the stability of the car using F1 as an example.
And i agree that you and I are not in the position to render opinions on the F1 cars as we are all not in it.
There are just too many aspects to consider such as Aerodynamics, Set-up, Weight..etc..etc that will have a direct link to the stability of the car and not just the weight alone! And not even to try to relate to the driver!
'Lot of steering correction' as seen on the cockpit cam is caused by the extremely high downforce at extremely high speed (>300 km/h) on the track causing the driver not able to hold the steering calmly. Again, this has got to do with aeraodynamics and the setting of the car bacause of the resistance from the wind travel and not the driver and not because the car is too light!

So, correcting stering in a stra8 line cannot solely be linked to the weight issue of the car and regardless who the driver is!

If a lighter F1 car does make the driver more difficult to handle in a stra8 line, just ask all the F1 team bosses why are they spending billions and billions $$$ each year in R&D just to create something which is lighter and strong to replace the old and heavy pieces...

Just my 2 cts...
Old 04-21-2003, 04:08 AM   #3008
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Nesw Flash

Just a quick update on how the MTX3 is preforming down under.
At the New South Wales state titles
Held at the same track that 8th scale world championship was held at last year.
Mugen Mtx3 Finished 1,2,3,4. In an half hour final.
With the first place setting a new lap record for nitro tourers.

chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 06:00 AM   #3009
Tech Regular

about choosing a car well im still unsure..... as i said this one is an OPTION for sure...... i need to get my money first though
Old 04-21-2003, 10:06 AM   #3010
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish
Default Re: Enneti rotor

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
rotor 5
nice. Kawahara has it, too. nice...
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:19 AM   #3011
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by DanielSon
Wow! "SOLID" axle.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:19 AM   #3012
Tech Regular

hi its me again I have questions again.

1. What belt/s that usually wears out? What is a good brand of belt replacement? I read here that kevlar belts are good.
2. What is the size of the screw on MT12 head?
3. In manual it says shock oils are 600, 500 etc. What are their equivalent in Associated shock oils coz I have those already and I dont want to spend my money on another set of oils. thnx
penggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:32 AM   #3013
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by penggoy
hi its me again I have questions again.

1. What belt/s that usually wears out? What is a good brand of belt replacement? I read here that kevlar belts are good.
2. What is the size of the screw on MT12 head?
3. In manual it says shock oils are 600, 500 etc. What are their equivalent in Associated shock oils coz I have those already and I dont want to spend my money on another set of oils. thnx
Hello,

First, say no no to all those Al. Pulleys, and belts shall be with you for quite some time.

If you have plain stock chassis, you may likely encounter the problem on the Front belt. Later, if your long mid belt rubs against the manifold, that'll be next.

For the head screws, say bye bye to those old Novarossi flat head, and get yourself a whachama call it, hex or whatever. I'm not good at this mechanical terms on screws.

For the Shock oil, personally, I assume that 600 is 60, 500 is 50 and so on. People, please correct me.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:10 AM   #3014
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by eddiethefish
For the head screws, say bye bye to those old Novarossi flat head, and get yourself a whachama call it, hex or whatever. I'm not good at this mechanical terms on screws.
Those flat head screws are the best you can get for your engine, the other that show on the novarossi site are for the .21 engines, by the moment, aren't available for .12.

If you're gotting problems with those screws is a sure sign that you aren't using the right tool to remove it, pick the Hudy screwdriver and you'll see how easy are unscrewed and tightened without effort and not marring the head of the screws.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 11:12 AM   #3015
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by eddiethefish
Hello,

First, say no no to all those Al. Pulleys, and belts shall be with you for quite some time.

If you have plain stock chassis, you may likely encounter the problem on the Front belt. Later, if your long mid belt rubs against the manifold, that'll be next.

For the Shock oil, personally, I assume that 600 is 60, 500 is 50 and so on. People, please correct me.
agree, alloy pulley wear faster and they are much heavier.

so far I havent replaced any belt after around 3 gallon of fuel. the stock belts are heavy duty.

the japanese standard of #600 is equal to 55Wt and #500 equal to 45wt etc etc.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote