R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-08-2002, 10:48 PM   #286
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

tekrsq,

I don't think $280 is the right price, they would loose quite a bit of money on that price (that's quite a bit below the actual cost of the kit) where do you see it listed?

We are already getting in trouble for selling it at $337.99, Mugen called us and said that was too low, so those of you that got in on the pre-order, you locked in that price, the next batch unfortunately will go up to $349.99

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 12:36 AM   #287
Tech Fanatic

Steve, Not to disagree, but I'm sure I saw them advertised in the last issue of RC Car Action for $299. w/o engine & $499. w/engine. I would like to get one for a second car, but more than $300. for a kit is too high. That's something I would expect to see from Serpent. I have bought 3 or 4 NTC3's for $250.-260.. Does the kit w/o engine include anything extra, or special? I could justify it if I got a Centax, or some sort of one-way/solid axle combo, along with diffs.. Can you post some specs when you get your hands on one? Maybe you can sway some poeple over.?
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 12:39 AM   #288
Tech Addict

NTC3NUT: it comes with front one-way, rear diff, graphite upper deck, front blade type sway bar, rear sway bar and Centax!
ME-student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 12:43 AM   #289
Tech Fanatic

Insert foot in mouth here. Maybe $350. isn't such a bad deal after all! Still, $280., or $299. woulb be better, agreed?
Old 11-09-2002, 12:45 AM   #290
Tech Master

Wow that is a lot of nice stuff i'm trying to imagine what they might include in a pro spec MTX3...course, this just might be it . They really could only do like what Kyosho has done for the VoneR(R) and offer different setups with bassically 96% of the same stuff.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 12:47 AM   #291
Tech Addict

of course.. lower price is always beter!
ME-student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 01:07 AM   #292
Tech Master

that is why I'm thinking about dealing exclusively with ebay!
Old 11-09-2002, 01:39 AM   #293
Tech Fanatic

No, don't do that. Steve is a good guy, and he almost always has the lowest prices. He also has a selection of items that are hard to get anywhere else. You also have to have a relationship with your local hobby shop. They are the guys running your local track, or at least supporting it. If you don't help them out, they might not be there the next time you need them. Ebay is a source for good deals, but they don't always have what you need, and you almost always have to wait for it.
Old 11-09-2002, 02:53 AM   #294
Tech Master

no i meant that I would get all of my cars used. I buy everything else from my hobby shop... i don't really like mailorder much, a bit more of a hassle. Plus, the LHS I go to tells me when the next race is and I'm friends with almost everyone in there, or at least they know that I know most everyone (working that is).
I'm supporting local economy

I should have just said I'll get the rest of the kits i used for the rest of my life... well actually, I hope not b/c I hope I can get a real job b/c its hard to work when your in high school.
Old 11-09-2002, 05:21 AM   #295
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default NTC3NUT,

don't compare apples to oranges here.
For $260 you get a NTC3 with nothing.
Just add the centax and you are already over the MTX3 price.
Now start adding all the other parts you need to make the NTC3 hold up for more than 2 minutes and you'll find out quickly what a bad deal this car is.

Mugen= ready to win, out of the box!
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 05:36 AM   #296
Tech Addict

Steve,

Not trying to do any advertising for your competition, but on page 268 of the December issue RCCA Mag, Ace Hardware Hobbies has Mugen MTX-3 (part #T0020) kit w/ engine $499.99, Mugen MTX-3 (part #T0021) kit w/o engine $289.99.

Right or wrong, I don't know. But that's what is listed, and that's what I intend to pay. I've got one preordred through my local shop and they told me they could match that price for either kit. Depending on parts availability for the first month, I might buy 1 of each, just to make sure I have parts.
tekrsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 06:15 AM   #297
Tech Master

Unhappy

i wish my LHS would do that for me...
Old 11-09-2002, 08:58 AM   #298
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

Quote:
Originally posted by tekrsq
Steve,

Not trying to do any advertising for your competition, but on page 268 of the December issue RCCA Mag, Ace Hardware Hobbies has Mugen MTX-3 (part #T0020) kit w/ engine $499.99, Mugen MTX-3 (part #T0021) kit w/o engine $289.99.

Right or wrong, I don't know. But that's what is listed, and that's what I intend to pay. I've got one preordred through my local shop and they told me they could match that price for either kit. Depending on parts availability for the first month, I might buy 1 of each, just to make sure I have parts.
That's cool if that's what your lhs will do for you. I know Steve isn't one to price-gouge on hot items. Anyway, it doesn't sound right because the difference between Mugen kits with and without the engine has never been the full price of the engine. The engine everywhere I've seen it is less than $180 but the kit difference in the ad is $200!? I mean Ace has the MST-1 for $299/$449 with/without engine respectively. That's only a $150 difference and it's the same engine. Ah, who knows!?!?!? If they can sell it for that much...more power to 'em.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 09:49 AM   #299
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

I'll give Mugen a call on Monday to make sure that we are getting the best price we can on these kits so we can be competitive on the market Also, another hop-up on the MTX-3 is a new shoe type 2-speed unit.

tekrsq,

I'll check out the ad when I get a chance, but no matter which discount level they are at with Mugen, that is still below cost so if you pre-ordered one make sure that you have locked in on that price and don't let them talk you out of it then you got yourself a good deal. As a good business, they should honor the price they advertise (but then sometimes they say it's one of them "typographical" errors...hehehehe )

The reason why the car kit was advertised for so cheap is because they estimate the price for the ad. In the industry an ad is usually submitted three month in advance. So being in November right now, that ad was submitted around September. for the December issue. Mugen did not know of the actual price of the kit until last week. So what I think they did was they took the original MTX-2 price and used that as an estimate.

Guys, I want you all to understand that I really appreciate the support I've been receiving on this messageboard since I started Speed Tech R/C. I appreciate all the feedbacks and comments, and I will always try my best to bring in what you guys need as fast as I can, and at the lowest price I can

Thanks again for your support guys, and now let see if I can start bringing in some of those MTX-3 parts!

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 12:04 PM   #300
Tech Fanatic

Stefan, I don't post here to argue the performance of the NTC3. The car has proven itself time and again. Yes, you need to add options, no different than any other car. Where the Associated cars rule is in parts pricing, and availability. As far as the Mugen goes, car looks awesome, but I'll reserve my judgement on the car until it starts winning races.