R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-09-2003, 02:37 AM   #2431
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cartman

SEE ABOVE POST!!

Quote:
Originally posted by RClover
since jason broke the front mugen universal, what could be the next better option??? 3 racing?
Old 03-09-2003, 08:21 AM   #2432
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Cartman
so lets see then......................they break when YOU hit somthing hard enough to break the upright. Do you really think then its a Mugen shaft fault?? i can asure you if you stop hittinh things they will not break!!come on get real you, you think they are designed for a hard impact or put power to the wheels?
you have a point there... the reason i ask is that i have read from the V-1-R tread that someone had the front universal warped right after their first few runs...and i thought this could well be the symptom to the others universals...
RClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 09:02 AM   #2433
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by jason102276
i broke both mugen universals during hard crashes where front upright was ripped off when i cut a corner too close

(...)

but honestly everytime i hit something lately the car gets hurt bad must be the fast engines
Mine happens just the opposite. Weekends after races I cut the corners too early... could be cause by the lack of horsepower.

BTW: This morning was superb for running quite hard. Sunny, none clouds on the sky, 19C.... what can we desire more? Hawaiian tropic girls? Got enough time for break-in a Nova S3 for a buddy and burn almost a litre of fuel (with their foams, of course)...
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 12:09 PM   #2434
Tech Fanatic

so now im a hack and i cant drive?

come on dude like the rest of you never hit the boards

i made the mistake of removing the wide front bumper and also removing some foam from the foam bumper to better clear my stratus body

i was running break-in at my local track i ran about 8 tanks through at somewhere near 8 minutes a tank so thats aprox an hour of on track time at somewhere near 15 seconds a lap i wrecked about 6 times 4 of those times the universal broke

2 times the universal broke without any other front damage none didnt even pop the upright or anything just a broken universal

that is why i was complaining for someone to come on here and tell me its my driving without knowing anything about me isnt fair

and tell me if you ever broke a mtx-2 universal or one on any other car

i broke at least 10 front uprights on my mtx-2 and never was my universal bent or broken

i am not a pro driver but i am not a hack either i do pretty good at the races i won our tracks point series last year and placed third in the regional but no matter what wrecks happen especially on a track that is like 110-60 and very tight
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 12:42 PM   #2435
Tech Adept

Default Running on concrete

Hi Guys,

My local track is gone!!! The owner has decided to make the car park bigger so the track got leveled!!

But he has given over an equal amount of space next door but the surface is concrete.

Foams are useless, I was pulling donuts with the 3 all morning!

Then it rained so I changed to Take Off SSA's, a bit better but still ALL over the place.

Any suggestion on tyres? Setups etc.

Many Thanks
click, dublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 02:09 PM   #2436
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cartman

OK as a matter of fact i only broke one front up right all last year! and that was another car hitting mine that was dead on the track (engine cut) i never ran UJ's i laso finished 15th in the uk.
you cannot expect things not to brake if you hit things.
i take it you have a driving license? tkae your full sized car, do 200mph and hit a central resevation. will it break?? i think so. oh 200mph is a scale speed for our 10th scale at 20mph.

I AM NOT HAVING A DIG AT YOU OR YOUR DRIVING BUT YOU HAVE TO EXPECT BREAKAGES WHEN YOU HIT SOMTHING

Quote:
Originally posted by jason102276
so now im a hack and i cant drive?

come on dude like the rest of you never hit the boards

i made the mistake of removing the wide front bumper and also removing some foam from the foam bumper to better clear my stratus body

i was running break-in at my local track i ran about 8 tanks through at somewhere near 8 minutes a tank so thats aprox an hour of on track time at somewhere near 15 seconds a lap i wrecked about 6 times 4 of those times the universal broke

2 times the universal broke without any other front damage none didnt even pop the upright or anything just a broken universal

that is why i was complaining for someone to come on here and tell me its my driving without knowing anything about me isnt fair

and tell me if you ever broke a mtx-2 universal or one on any other car

i broke at least 10 front uprights on my mtx-2 and never was my universal bent or broken

i am not a pro driver but i am not a hack either i do pretty good at the races i won our tracks point series last year and placed third in the regional but no matter what wrecks happen especially on a track that is like 110-60 and very tight

Last edited by Cartman; 03-09-2003 at 02:12 PM.
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 03:48 PM   #2437
Tech Fanatic

cartman you are a part of team mugen uk correct?

i am not a team driver the majority of RC racers are not team drivers

we have wrecks

i cannot imagine going an entire season without any wrecks

not many people can

and as far as wrecking a real car goes of course it would break

my problem is that every time it touched a board it broke it

i take responsiblity for the wrecks 2 years racing and i aint perfect yet

i even admit it may not have been such a problem if i had the wide bumper and full size foam piece

i dont agree however that the breakage of a universal for every upright is normal

it is not normal i break parts so i know more about it than you

you are perfect and dont ever break things except when its someone elses fault

i broke many uprights last year and the year before and never once has the universal broken

so that is the problem

and to say you didnt dig at my driving i think you did
Old 03-09-2003, 04:16 PM   #2438
Tech Fanatic

not all of the universals i broke were mugen brand either

the others broke even easier
Old 03-09-2003, 04:45 PM   #2439
Tech Master

It may appear that Cartman is having a dig at your driving but he's not. You stated that when you hit things hard that the parts break. That is what generally happens.

Cartman stated that if you didnt hit things that you wouldnt break them. I would guess that when he wrote that statement he was sitting at his computer with a big cheesy grin giving a smart answer (UK humour).

He wasnt saying you are a bad driver. We all have big shunts regardless of how long we are racing. I've been racing 16yrs and I can still smack a car hard every day I'm out racing. It happens. Just the other week I really launched my car on the curbs (Lucky for me I was running my trusty Yokomo and as per usual nothing broke . You should get one. They are really strong).

As for Universal Driveshafts. No matter what make they are or on what car they are on they are weak in design. It phsyics. If something is designed to be fast it is going to be weak (Unless you have a Yokomo )

Laugh it off and just practise. You soon be hitting less and the breaks will be less frequent too.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 05:03 PM   #2440
Tech Elite

I used to race a Team Atlas YM34 (electric touring car) and so did my buddy. I destroyed 4 universals on this thing and my buddy never broke 1. We crashed around the same amount of times and are very similar in driving skill.

To this day I just chalk it up to bad luck on my part.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 05:34 PM   #2441
Tech Fanatic

i have not ever broken as much in 1 day as i did yesterday

even my ntc3 could have taken those hits

like i said the lack of bumper and body was partially to blame

and it was my fault i hit the board

it just broke too easily

if you had seen what happened you would certainly agree especially when the universal broke without even popping a upright

i ran somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 or so laps i wrecked (touched the board) about 6 times pretty good odds 6/200 and 4/6 times a universal broke

some off those hits were nothing i didnt even need marshalling but the universal was broken

i ran mtx-2 for 2 years and never broke one yesterday in 4 hours i broke 4 and another time before i had broke 1 for a total of 5 universals and i have only broke 3 uprights doesnt anyone think that is odd

its not like im trying to bash the car i still really like the car and if i had the bumpers on correctly or even the body on it may not have been such a problem

but i think it is wrong to have broken more universals then uprights i didnt even chunk the tire
Old 03-09-2003, 08:19 PM   #2442
Tech Elite

Apologies for barging in on your thread.

I'm not a big fan of universals - they all have an inherent problem, I think.
If you cut a corner too tight and collect a board, look what is likely to happen to the wheel.

If the wheel digs in to the board and the upright separates from the balls. it may well end up at 90 to the chassis for an instant. If the universal comes out of the outdrive, you may just get away with it, but even then the shaft is flailing around and still attached to the wheel. A dogbone in this situation will just fall out of the outdrive and the wheel.

A decent bumper helps decrease the chances of the wheel digging deeply into the board on an impact - that's the primary cause, I think. Maybe a bit more end play at the outdrive would help.

While universals are more efficient, we have gone back to dogbones for reliability reasons - not to mention the financial angle.
Just my 2cents worth.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 08:23 PM   #2443
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

I broke my first part on my 3 yeaterday.... after 4 months of racing it. I hit the barrier fairly hard, at about half speed, and snapped the right hand front upright clean.

Guess what.... my mugen universal is still in one piece, unbroken and unbent. So to say they are weak.... dont know, you have to expect to damage these little toys, but so far, I have not broken nearly asmuch on the mugen as I did on my v-one r or my racer2 before that.

And the only time I have used the wide front bumper is when I had a lola body on and couldnt fit the foam under it.
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 08:37 PM   #2444
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

Quote:
Originally posted by RClover
since jason broke the front mugen universal, what could be the next better option??? 3 racing?
no sir ree bob 3 racing uni's are not nearly the quality of the mugens.

As far as universals being inherently weak I don't think I buy into that. I run the mugen uni's in the mrx3 and they work great, much tougher and better than dogbones.

Last edited by patelladragger; 03-09-2003 at 08:44 PM.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 09:17 PM   #2445
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I have always preferred dogbones over universals in my MTX-2. To me theyr'e just as efficient as UJ's when properly greased(I use "Ronnie Grease"). These big pinned/ended dogbones found in most modern nitro tourers are well designed unlike the sloppy dogbone/drive cup found on the HPI NRS4.

Try this next time you have your car apart for maintenance, install a dogbone in an assembled front upright axle while it is apart from the chassis and spin the dogbone while it is almost the most extreme angle. You will find that it is as smooth and bind fee as a UJ.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote