R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-16-2006, 01:41 PM   #16516
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Adim_X

If I use a gear diff front and rear, what fluid should I use. I am probably just gonna play around on dust parking lots with the car for right now. Thanks
Adim_X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:56 PM   #16517
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adim_X
If I use a gear diff front and rear, what fluid should I use. I am probably just gonna play around on dust parking lots with the car for right now. Thanks
I have always used 100k upfront and 10k rear. The less you use upfront provides more steering. The more you use on the rear provides more steering also.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:07 PM   #16518
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

hey guys Im new to the nitro touring scene. Im more than likely going to be getting a mtx3 prospec. My questions are since Im new to nitro touring will it still be highly compeitive against the mtx4 and the newer cars. Also does mugen still make parts for the mtx3 or are they gonna be coming hard to come by
Old 04-16-2006, 05:24 PM   #16519
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana
hey guys Im new to the nitro touring scene. Im more than likely going to be getting a mtx3 prospec. My questions are since Im new to nitro touring will it still be highly compeitive against the mtx4 and the newer cars. Also does mugen still make parts for the mtx3 or are they gonna be coming hard to come by

Mugen is still selling parts for the MTX3. I don't know how long they will continue to support it, but you could call Mugen USA or even try sending an email to Japan to get a better answer. Right now parts are still available.

Now the other question: You ask is the MTX3 pro highly competetive against the MTX4. I say the answer is no. The only way to do a fair comparison is if you drive both cars and see for yourself. A good driver with the 3 will probably be faster than an average driver with the 4. I am not saying you can't win races with the 3. What I am saying is that you are at a small disadvantage running the older car against the newer one. That disadvantage can be made up with driving, setup, horsepower etc. but you are starting out a little bit behind. If you are a better driver, better mechanic, and have more horsepower, you are going to be even that much faster with the 4.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:31 PM   #16520
Tech Apprentice

Scott I think you just sold me on getting the MTX-4. I have the MTX-3 and noticed that several of the -3 guys have gotten the -4 also. And I of course ask what and why they changed. So now I ask you, What and why is the MTX-4 a better car? Or do I have to just wait and run the car myself to find out..lol
edracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:39 PM   #16521
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ed,

They made something great - better.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:26 PM   #16522
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by edracer1
Scott I think you just sold me on getting the MTX-4. I have the MTX-3 and noticed that several of the -3 guys have gotten the -4 also. And I of course ask what and why they changed. So now I ask you, What and why is the MTX-4 a better car? Or do I have to just wait and run the car myself to find out..lol
It is a better car because the fuel tank was finally moved to the center, which makes the center of gravity even lower and it doesnt throw the car off balance when you steer. The differentials (front and rear) are relatively much smaller than the MTX-3, which provides a less rotating mass and more acceleration. The same goes for the clutch bell. Stock MTX-3 pinions are 21/27 while stock gearing for MTX-4 is 17/23. The brake system also changed and now only uses one disk, instead of two plus the one in the middle. The rear shock tower provides a larger window of tuning due to all of the holes you can change the shock position to. The rear arms are 5.5mm longer which provide better rear traction.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #16523
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

I agree with what they said.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:02 AM   #16524
Tech Champion

I hope somebody out there makes upper deck revision to mount the fuel tank.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #16525
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
I hope somebody out there makes upper deck revision to mount the fuel tank.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...ostcount=16473

I made one out of plywood as a prototype. The tank is 5 or 6 mm to the front. I contacted PenguinRC about making this top plate and they answered that they will look into it to see if it can be done maybe in a limited number at a reasonable cost to them. It might not be very profitable to them since the MTX3 is considered outdated by some but if there's a large enough demand for this plate, maybe they'll do it.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:58 PM   #16526
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercrash
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...ostcount=16473

I made one out of plywood as a prototype. The tank is 5 or 6 mm to the front. I contacted PenguinRC about making this top plate and they answered that they will look into it to see if it can be done maybe in a limited number at a reasonable cost to them. It might not be very profitable to them since the MTX3 is considered outdated by some but if there's a large enough demand for this plate, maybe they'll do it.
that is absolutely nuts, u should submit that to mugen, u might land a job!
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:34 PM   #16527
Tech Rookie

I don't mind having an "out of date car" as long as I can get parts for it. I had the v one R for two years (the RR evo was the current Kyosho car) and it served me well until Tower quit selling parts for it. I just switched over the the MTX3 Prospec from a V one RRR. (Got a great deal on Ebay.) I like the mugen much better out of the box in stock setup. I guess it suited my abilities better due to the "much larger tuning window?" I was having trouble getting parts for the RRR and had to order everything from HK.

Is there a overdrive chart available for the Mtx3?
bazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:11 AM   #16528
Tech Master

Default throttle linkage

I was wondering what different servo horns some of you are using?
and how you have the linkage setup.. sticking to the manual doesnt give much clearance from the servo on the throttle llinkage..
also did you cut the spring down or does it compress slightly at idle?
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:39 AM   #16529
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnetz
I was wondering what different servo horns some of you are using?
and how you have the linkage setup.. sticking to the manual doesnt give much clearance from the servo on the throttle llinkage..
also did you cut the spring down or does it compress slightly at idle?
Mine is slightly compressed ( unless if you can find harder springs ex. traxxas revo throttle linkage spring ).

Servo horn position and depth are covered in mtx3 manual.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:30 AM   #16530
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Mine is slightly compressed ( unless if you can find harder springs ex. traxxas revo throttle linkage spring ).

Servo horn position and depth are covered in mtx3 manual.
the reason I asked is because I've seen people with both sides being attached on top of the servo horn, one on top and the other on the bottom , and both on bottom..... I'm just cusious as to why all the variation?

the manual states to have them both mounted on the bottom of the servo horn, but if you have the carb angled at all the ball end will hit the servo.
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote