R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-30-2005, 04:36 PM   #16141
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushmen
Hi, the chassis looks great, but carbon fibre is not good to dispel the heat.
thanks
You should check his test review on the carbon chassis he made for his mtx4, it actually has better heat tranfer than the stock aluminum.
ogreasurada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:41 PM   #16142
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jeff whiting

Hmmmm......thanks Scott. I am going to bring it for sure. What I would really like to do is work out a 2 or 3 day trip down to the WinterNats track in the next few weeks to pratice with the MTX-4 on that surface. Do you have any hints on setup for that track with the -4. I have a very good setup for a high bite big track on my -3 Prospec so I should be pretty close there.

thanks

JEFF
Old 11-30-2005, 05:18 PM   #16143
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Unfortuneately I have never been there. Some of these things might be obvious, but for a high bite track I would start with the kit setup except the following.

Try 700wt in the front, 30k diff oil in the rear. Front sway bar at 45 deg. Like I said I have never been there, but that is where I would start. I would leave the stock springs on and try these other things first.

Compared to my prospec, I run more rear toe in and more rear droop on my 4. Those two things kinda have opposite effect but I used the extra droop to get more inital steering (off power coasting into a high speed turn). Once I got the car into the turn, I run some front over drive to get on power steering. I am running about 1.6-1.9mm split. This gave me a lot of on power steering but I could lose the rear end if I hit the gas too hard. I found that the extra rear toe gave me enough rear grip to be able to hit the gas pretty hard in those wider turns and power out. It is always a give and take and there are so many adjustments to make that can possibly give you the results you want. The hard part is trying to improve one thing without screwing up something else. It took me 1.5 days of testing (about a quart of fuel) to come up with the setup I am using right now. I can say that my sedan is really good now.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:23 PM   #16144
Tech Master

Thanks Scott for the info.

JEFF
Old 11-30-2005, 08:11 PM   #16145
Tech Rookie

if you want to race at ft. myers track there is a florida state series race
dec 10-11. another race data is jan 14-15 which alot of people use as a winternats warmup. there are people running mtx4 now and after the race i am sure someone will post a set-up
H STAMEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:52 PM   #16146
Tech Master

Perfect H STAMEN that is what I need!!! Thanks That January 14 -15 race looks like the one for me. Could you post the web site for the Ft Myers or State Series so I can get some more info.

Thanks again.

JEFF
Old 12-01-2005, 05:41 AM   #16147
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

http://forgass.com/
Old 12-01-2005, 06:38 AM   #16148
Tech Master

Thanks for the Link.

JEFF
Old 12-01-2005, 07:11 AM   #16149
Tech Adept

Default ?????????????

What test review I should be checking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogreasurada
You should check his test review on the carbon chassis he made for his mtx4, it actually has better heat tranfer than the stock aluminum.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:33 AM   #16150
Tech Master

I am going to a Florida series race January 14-15 to warm up for the WinterNats. I haven't traveled on a plane with my gear before. Anyone have any tips on getting everything there in one piece?

Thanks

JEFF
Old 12-01-2005, 10:36 AM   #16151
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff whiting
I am going to a Florida series race January 14-15 to warm up for the WinterNats. I haven't traveled on a plane with my gear before. Anyone have any tips on getting everything there in one piece?

Thanks

JEFF
Fuel residue is your enemy. Clean your car well. Wash out your fuel tank well. Same thing with you fueling bottle. I normally ship that stuff. If you are going to ship anything, I would actually either ship the entire car, or at very least the tank, and any used exhausts. If not, clean anything well that gets a lot of fuel exposure. The nitro/methanol can setoff those explosive detection machines. I usually ship stuff with a day or two margin or error and watch the tracking so you can get on UPS or Fedex if there is a problem.

Check out the weight limits for your airline. They do usually weigh the bags now, especially if you check in inside the airport. It seems like the curbside guys don't check as often, but they do check weight sometimes. Don't count on getting away with that. I ususally pack my radio in my clothes, or carry that on. Other than that I pack my stuff in my Associated bag the same way I go to any other race and just check it in. It is a little hard on the cardboard boxes, but that is the price you pay to fly away. Put your liquids (shock/diff oil etc) in ziplocks, or ship them as well. I am sure that I am forgetting something, but that should help some.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:52 AM   #16152
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

When I flew up to Oregon earlier this year, I didn't have any issues. They searched one of my boxes and didnt say anything. I dont think they had the machine Scott is talking about. Be ready to remove any locks that you have on your boxes. I had to, and didn't feel too good about it. Everything arived safely though. Also remember to pack light. If you know you are not going to need something, dont take it. Have fun.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:41 PM   #16153
Tech Elite

If you know somebody in the area that is going to be there, ship the items to them ahead of time or to your hotel. also it will be cool then and the cold here is different from the cold there. I lived in NY for 23 years and the cold here cuts right through you.
Also have them get fuel for you ahead of time, because you can't fly with it.
When I traveled, I tried to pack light, but remember, there isn't a hobby shop there. Fast N Furious should be there, they stock mugen and serpent. If you are going by yourself, you will need to get a tent and table or make friends that has a pit trailer.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:02 PM   #16154
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

a friend of mine also said he brings an RC Magazine with him to his flight to make explaining better. say they ask what the tuned pipe (very weird looking to those who don't know RC, like some sort of paraphernalia) is, he can easily point it out from the magazine to give the inspector a better view of what he's talking about.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #16155
Tech Elite

Yep...I can believe that! Where are you going to fly into? Tampa or farther south?