R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-31-2005, 04:04 PM   #16081
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

another question for everyone. I have an M8 and would really like some help in figuring out what settings i should be using and what some of these settings mean. Anyone running an MTX-3 and an M8 that can lend a helping hand? Thanks everyone!
Old 10-31-2005, 08:23 PM   #16082
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JAG Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toma2525
So I have a problem. Got the universals, installed, hit the track! Everything is great except for a slight problem. On power, the car jolts to the right. It seems to track straight but hit the gas and the car bolts to the right everytime. Any ideas anyone?? What should i check. Where should i start?
Was this problem there before you installed the new uni's?

Of course check the obvious belts, pulleys and shocks (not binding). Check suspension "uptravel" to make sure BOTH front tires leave the ground at the same time when lifting the front chassis up off the ground. Just use a long screw driver and place in under the front chassis from the front of the car. Now lift up using the screwdriver as a prybar until the chassis begins to lift off the ground noting when the two front wheels come off the ground. They should "lift off" at the same time.
JAG Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:25 PM   #16083
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG Racing
Was this problem there before you installed the new uni's?

Of course check the obvious belts, pulleys and shocks (not binding). Check suspension "uptravel" to make sure BOTH front tires leave the ground at the same time when lifting the front chassis up off the ground. Just use a long screw driver and place in under the front chassis from the front of the car. Now lift up and the screwdriver until the chassis begins to lift off the ground noting when the two front wheels come off the ground. They should "lift off" at the same time.
And if it dont lift off at the same time. How can you fix this?
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:33 PM   #16084
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

Quote:
So I have a problem. Got the universals, installed, hit the track! Everything is great except for a slight problem. On power, the car jolts to the right. It seems to track straight but hit the gas and the car bolts to the right everytime. Any ideas anyone?? What should i check. Where should i start?
Either you missed a set screw when you built the Universals, or your one way is not working propperly.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:33 PM   #16085
Suspended

do you have a set up board?..basicaly you have to measure everything to make sure that its even on both sides,make sure your up&down stops are equal as well.make sure you have the same suspention travel on both sides,also what do you have in the rear diff for fluid?what weight?
ntro75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:33 PM   #16086
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JAG Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu
Check the photo. This same process will work for the rear also. Check this with and without the shocks mounted; should be the same otherwise it points to "shock problem".
Attached Thumbnails
Mugen MTX-3-mtx_adj.jpg  

Last edited by JAG Racing; 10-31-2005 at 09:00 PM.
JAG Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:55 AM   #16087
Tech Adept

Quote:

Check the photo. This same process will work for the rear also. Check this with and without the shocks mounted; should be the same otherwise it points to "shock problem".
Don't forget the anti roll bar is also adjustable for tweak using the excentric bracket at one side.

One of the guys at our track had bent one side of his anti roll bar after an impact
Bob The Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:01 AM   #16088
Tech Regular

i will check and try the suggestions. i have been contiplating investing in a setup board system to measure everything. i have a feeling that your suggestions coupled with a setup board should help me nail down the problem. i had the problem before the universals were installed also. not sure the weight i used in the rear diff. i have a front one-way installed. i will also pull the shocks off and rebuild them, making sure they are both equal in length.

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #16089
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
i will check and try the suggestions. i have been contiplating investing in a setup board system to measure everything. i have a feeling that your suggestions coupled with a setup board should help me nail down the problem. i had the problem before the universals were installed also. not sure the weight i used in the rear diff. i have a front one-way installed. i will also pull the shocks off and rebuild them, making sure they are both equal in length.

Thanks everyone.
Integy has a neat set-up board/system that is around $130 that has everything that you need. You need to invest in a setup board/system is you are going to do more serious racing. This was a hard lesson I learned a couple of years back (use to eyeball everything).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:11 PM   #16090
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder
Don't forget the anti roll bar is also adjustable for tweak using the excentric bracket at one side.

One of the guys at our track had bent one side of his anti roll bar after an impact
how do u use that cam thing on the roll bar up front.
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:54 AM   #16091
Tech Regular

i saw an ad for the integy station and it looks really nice...not to expensive. sounds like it might help and save me some headaches down the road. I will give you all an update after some wrenching and some more track time.

Can anyone provide some help regarding setting up my M8 with my MTX-3?
Old 11-02-2005, 02:05 AM   #16092
Tech Adept

Quote:
how do u use that cam thing on the roll bar up front
It is used to equal the effec the anti roll bar has on each side.

With the car sat on set up blocks - check the droop on each side and make them equal if possible ( If not possible you will need to use the cam to do it )

Then when you have the droop equal - start to lift the hub on one side and see how far it moves before the opposite side hub starts to lift.

Do the same the opposite side and make sure that the amount of lift is the same to move the opposing hub.

Adjust the cam until both are equal.

Then re-check your droop.

Rear anti roll bar is adjusted by changing the length of the links going between the anti roll bar and the wishbone.
Bob The Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 05:52 PM   #16093
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

otay
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 12:07 PM   #16094
Tech Regular

Well, i heeded the advice of most of you and seemed to have nailed down the problem to un-even arm travel....apparently, i never bothered to adjust (or install in some cases) the various set screws that manage the arms!!!

After getting the setup station, adjusting all of the setscrews to where everything was even i hit the track and WOW!! It was a different car...actually drivable. I did however run into another problem that is stumping me. i traction roll alot. i figure i need to stiffen up the suspension a bit, go with stronger springs, reduce roll etc. any suggestions???

Thanks again everyone....really made a difference!
Old 11-06-2005, 12:29 PM   #16095
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Well, i heeded the advice of most of you and seemed to have nailed down the problem to un-even arm travel....apparently, i never bothered to adjust (or install in some cases) the various set screws that manage the arms!!!

After getting the setup station, adjusting all of the setscrews to where everything was even i hit the track and WOW!! It was a different car...actually drivable. I did however run into another problem that is stumping me. i traction roll alot. i figure i need to stiffen up the suspension a bit, go with stronger springs, reduce roll etc. any suggestions???

Thanks again everyone....really made a difference!

maybe you're using too soft of tires for your track. try going 1 shore up (i.e. from 37shore to 40shore) with your tires. this is the easiest fix. next lower the car if it's riding too high. then if it's still traction rolling, add more camber and go one more shore up (i.e. from 40shore to 42 shore) on your tires.
hope this helps
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote