R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-04-2005, 10:47 PM   #16006
Tech Fanatic

Default 2006 200mm IFMAR Pre Worlds

Hi Guys,
just wondering if any of you out there are planning on going to the Pre Worlds in Feb next year to be held in Brisbane Aust. Following is the link to the site if you want to check it out.
www.200mmifmarworlds.com/
Hope to see some of you there, should be a great week!
Speedbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:44 AM   #16007
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JAG Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
Things to check. First off, I always run the same tooth difference between the spurs and the pinions. Confused?? Stock spurs are 53/59. Difference of 6 teeth. Your pinions have a 5 tooth difference. This can cause a small problem. This probably is not the problem, but I always keep the numbers the same. Check the 2 speed shaft for wobble. Either remove the engine and then rotate the gears looking for a wooble or with the engine in, rotate the gears and make sure there are no high or low spots in the mesh. This probably is not the problem either. But check it.

The likely problem is you catching air during the main. If the car leaves the groung (hit a dot or something else) it allows the car to free rev which shifts it into 2nd gear. Upon landing the chassis flexes and when it lands it puts all the transmission strain on the 2nd gear.
Thanks SpeedBug and Scott -

Scott - Understood on all items, thanks. Clear and consise. And now looking back there was a "high spot" in the back straight section where my car was catching air on several laps. I will now pay more attention on my drive line through that section. Making sense now.
JAG Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:54 AM   #16008
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for that tip as well. I started having the same problem with the 0.8 pitch gears, could not figure it out, and switched back to the 1.0 pitch stock gears. This has scrubbed to speed from my car, but I have not has a problem with stripping gears. I will look into this so I can go back to the 0.8 pitch gearing to hold JAG Racing at bay again. We race at the local level in Dallas and the bigger Texas series races and his switch has brought him closer to beating me on a more consistent basis.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:06 PM   #16009
Tech Regular

what 1st gear pinion should i use with my 29t 2nd pinion? mine strips them too
moot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:26 PM   #16010
Tech Fanatic

Most people would probably have these but if not hear are the Gear ratio and rollout charts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mtx3-gearratio08m.pdf (15.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: pdf mtx3-rollout.pdf (29.1 KB, 115 views)
Old 10-05-2005, 06:13 PM   #16011
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock
Thanks for that tip as well. I started having the same problem with the 0.8 pitch gears, could not figure it out, and switched back to the 1.0 pitch stock gears. This has scrubbed to speed from my car, but I have not has a problem with stripping gears. I will look into this so I can go back to the 0.8 pitch gearing to hold JAG Racing at bay again. We race at the local level in Dallas and the bigger Texas series races and his switch has brought him closer to beating me on a more consistent basis.
I have used the same 0.8 spur gears all summer long, no problems stripping. Do you run where there are a lot of rocks?
Old 10-05-2005, 09:29 PM   #16012
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default ratio and roll out

so how do i figure out how to use the roll out chart and ratio table to pick gearing? i dont know how to read them and translate them into track length, bottom end and top end power.

can someone explain?
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:45 PM   #16013
Tech Fanatic

Don't know if i am good enough to answer that, but this is basically how i use them, right or wrong?

I use a new set of tires for a new track and adjust gear ratios by trial and error to find the right combination. When you are happy with the set up record your tire diameter and gear ratio which will give you a roll out figure.
Then as your tires wear and you re-true them to a smaller diameter you can use the rollout chart to change your gear ratios to maintain the same roll out figure for the set up you are happy with.

As far as using the chart to set up the gearing before seeing the track, like I said I'm not that good, but maybe someone else maybe able to help with this.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:17 PM   #16014
Tech Master

THANKS ITS MORE INFO THAN I HAD BEFORE.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:36 PM   #16015
Tech Addict

how long is the track your racing on
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleman81
so how do i figure out how to use the roll out chart and ratio table to pick gearing? i dont know how to read them and translate them into track length, bottom end and top end power.

can someone explain?
Old 10-05-2005, 10:46 PM   #16016
Tech Master

150-200 backstretch???

http://members.aol.com/vorraracing/s...uts/040305.gif

this is the layout we race. i have been fighting temps for about two years and finally i see i need to change my gearing from stock. im trying .8 22/58 and 26/54 this sunday. our best driver in our class is using it in his mtx3.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:01 PM   #16017
Tech Addict

our tracks out here in so cal isn't that small but when i went up to san jose for a parking lot race we had a layout some what like yours and we ran 21-59... 27-54 with 60mm tires all the way around. another thing you have to consider in tire size is the traction of the track. in the winter we run smaller tires because the tracks or alittle bit more tacky and bigger tires would make the car traction roll. when this happens we go from 60mm to maybe 58mm and change the gears to 52 instead of 53 and depending on the lenght of the straight away go to 28 instead of the 27

hopefully this was helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleman81
150-200 backstretch???

http://members.aol.com/vorraracing/s...uts/040305.gif

this is the layout we race. i have been fighting temps for about two years and finally i see i need to change my gearing from stock. im trying .8 22/58 and 26/54 this sunday. our best driver in our class is using it in his mtx3.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:49 AM   #16018
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JAG Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotmachine
I have used the same 0.8 spur gears all summer long, no problems stripping. Do you run where there are a lot of rocks?
No, both JLock and myself run on a permanent track that is well prepared. I plan to run a smidge tighter gear mesh next time. We'll also need to identify and avoid the high spot on the back stretch as well.
JAG Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:58 AM   #16019
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG Racing
No, both JLock and myself run on a permanent track that is well prepared. I plan to run a smidge tighter gear mesh next time. We'll also need to identify and avoid the high spot on the back stretch as well.
You know what could be happening is if you have curbing like in real racing, the spurs could be touching them in the corners.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:25 AM   #16020
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG Racing
I have seen a buddy waisting 3 second gear spurgears in one day.

We found out that he was adjusting mesh only at the first pinion/spur and never checked how mesh was at second gear.

He always had his engine mounted at an angle.The first gear mesh was fine, the second was way too big.

How are you doing it?
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote