R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-20-2005, 10:25 PM   #15361
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcabj
me too... anyway can somebody give me the stock gearing teeth nos. for the .8 module...thsanks...think about time i try them out...
The stock .8 gearing that comes with the Prospec kit are 21t/27t pinions and 59t/53t for the spurs.
Jamie Corrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:25 AM   #15362
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoY5
Do a search on the thread. if you really want to understand why & how it works, it's been explained, but it's not a quick explanation. if you just want the quick and dirty:
Make the 19t the front pulley and get the 16t for the back pulley, get the short belt and then true your fronts 4mm smaller than the rear and that's it.
I will.

What diameter difference for the 19/24 set-up?
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:30 AM   #15363
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Corrado
The stock .8 gearing that comes with the Prospec kit are 21t/27t pinions and 59t/53t for the spurs.
What is the difference between the 1.0 and 0.8 gears? Are the gears thinner/lighter, etc.? Where does the designation "1.0 and 0.8" come from? From what I understand the two speed and everything else is exactly the same (MTX3 and Prospec) aside from the 0.8 gears. The gears looks exactly the same.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:46 AM   #15364
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula
I will.

What diameter difference for the 19/24 set-up?
I think Team Mugen guys use like a 1 to 1.5mm split to compensate for rear tire wear. Another option is tracking down a Serpent 23t pulley(part #808228)and adapter and run that instead of the 24 pulley with the stock belt. I like it better than the 16/19 because the 16/19 gives the car a bunch of driveline drag and the 23t is more free. the split with the 23t is only 2 to 2.5 and the tire wear is a little more even than the stock setup, which makes the car drive more consistant. But each one will make the car drive a little different. it's not a bad idea to try them all. If anything it's just another tuning option. You can try the 16/19 by just buying the pulley set for the car and it's cheaper than the Kawahara stuff. I think evlhdlts sells the belts on ebay, I've used them and they work fine.
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:49 AM   #15365
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula
What is the difference between the 1.0 and 0.8 gears? Are the gears thinner/lighter, etc.? Where does the designation "1.0 and 0.8" come from? From what I understand the two speed and everything else is exactly the same (MTX3 and Prospec) aside from the 0.8 gears. The gears looks exactly the same.
The difference is in the gear pitch. The .8 is a finer pitch. If you've ever done electric think 48 & 64 pitch. The .8 feels smoother and doesn't shift so hard. It also gives you better top end without sacrificing bottom end compared to the stock gearing. You do need to be a little more careful with getting the mesh right so you don't strip the spur gears. I had the stock gearing and like the .8 better.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:30 AM   #15366
Tech Master

Gonzo, thank you.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:08 PM   #15367
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

As an earlier post stated, I also use a 1-1.5mm tire split with the stock pulley setup. I have started with as little as a .75mm difference. While I would say the rears do wear faster, I have not found the them to wear out nearly as fast as some people do. There are many posts saying people are using 2 or 3 pairs of rears for each set of fronts. While I haven't seen these people drive in person, I would guess they are sliding the rear end too much. I made a serious effort to drive more smoothly and I notice a definite decrease in the tire wear on the rear.

Car pushes, you will wear fronts fast. Car is too loose and you drive it like that, you will wear rears quickly.

Last edited by Scott Fisher; 06-22-2005 at 02:25 AM.
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:17 PM   #15368
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
As an earlier post stated, I use a 1-1.5mm tire split with the stock pulley setup. I have started with as much as a .75mm difference. While I would say the rears do wear faster, I have not found the them to wear out nearly as fast as some people do. There are many posts saying people are using 2 or 3 pairs of rears for each set of fronts. While I haven't seen these people drive in person, I would guess they are sliding the rear end too much. I made a serious effort to drive more smoothly and I notice a definite decrease in the tire wear on the rear.

Car pushes, you will wear fronts fast. Car is too loose and you drive it like that, you will wear rears quickly.

it all depends on the track (layout and surface). you're from las vegas and from my experience over there, the tire wear is just awesome. you can use the stock gearing and it's ok. i just love your track man. i always look forward to racing there every year.
anyways, for our track here in arizona, the stock gearing just won't work. me and my brother have tried back and forth (stock and 16/19). and found that 16/19 is just the way to go for our track surface and layout.

by the way, is there a solid date for the paris race already??
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #15369
Tech Regular

I wish I could find a belt jsut a FEW teeth less than the stock one so it wouldn't be so loose with the 23t pulley.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:55 PM   #15370
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Corrado

thanks....btw with this gearing , would it be enough for a 180ft long straight...
RCCUTM
pemandu upahan ;)
rcabj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:24 PM   #15371
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I wish I could find a belt jsut a FEW teeth less than the stock one so it wouldn't be so loose with the 23t pulley.
is it really that loose? ive used the 16/19 and the drag and wear on the front 16t pulley is hard. I'd like to give it a try to the serpent 23t, my wear is 2 rears/1 front, by using 45-42 or 42-40, and one way,always using a minimun of 1-1.5mm split. anyway the kawahara belt wears rapidly compared to the stock. I'll see if I can get the 23t and give it a try and compare the wear and handling .just one teeth is not that bad of difference considering that my stock belt has lasted several months now and no more tension can be used!
Old 06-22-2005, 02:28 AM   #15372
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlhdlts
it all depends on the track (layout and surface). you're from las vegas and from my experience over there, the tire wear is just awesome. you can use the stock gearing and it's ok. i just love your track man. i always look forward to racing there every year.
anyways, for our track here in arizona, the stock gearing just won't work. me and my brother have tried back and forth (stock and 16/19). and found that 16/19 is just the way to go for our track surface and layout.

by the way, is there a solid date for the paris race already??
Funny thing is that I never tried the 16/19 at our track here in Vegas. I tried it at Revelation Raceway. Maybe I should try it here.

Paris Race is Oct 14-16. Those are the race dates. Practice will be on the 12th and 13th.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:05 AM   #15373
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to ROBBIE C Send a message via Yahoo to ROBBIE C

The 0.8 gears give you smoother acceleration with more top end, I've tried the gears back to back and noticed a huge difference.

The split thing is kind of up to the drivers driving style, even if you use the conversion set you'll still have uneven wear its just the way it is.

Try running the least amount of toe in the rear this should help some with rear tire wear.
ROBBIE C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:06 AM   #15374
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to ROBBIE C Send a message via Yahoo to ROBBIE C

Quote:
I think the yokomo belt works.
ROBBIE C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:22 AM   #15375
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBBIE C
I think the yokomo belt works.
AHA! I'll give it a try, thanks.