Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

fx5 is not a legal motor... another newbee motor
but hey, anything to get advantage right
they won't know
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:42 PM   #15137
Tech Champion

Yeah.... what ever you called it, I have few boring legal motors like NSR12 S5 , RR12 L5, FX3,5 that are sleeping in tool box and only wake up on race day. The rest of calendar I'm having fun with more fun engines like V12, NS15 mod, and soon MX15 P7. Chasing friends or top speed racing at long straight, and we enjoy this hobby at top speed.

......btw, newbees don't cheat during national race, we use those boring motors above to earn honest lap one by one.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:33 PM   #15138
Tech Elite

Old 05-19-2005, 03:38 PM   #15139
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to NitroNubee

Hey Scott,

Where might one find a Nova NSR 12 hotmod?

Thanks and great review!
NitroNubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:20 PM   #15140
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

I would call Fusion motorsports and ask jim as he is Mr. Hotmod. Tell him I sent you. He will be able to tell you where to purchase the novarossi hotmods. FYI: Fusion motorsports is the US importer for Novarossi. Jim Hottinger is the owner. He is the Hot part of the hotmod.

www.fusionmotorsports.com

951-361-3579
Old 05-20-2005, 02:44 AM   #15141
Tech Adept

hi

i am new...

was wondering what width tires i buy for my mtx3? also is there a offset i have to consider?

thanks
BigBadJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:38 AM   #15142
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBadJabba
hi

i am new...

was wondering what width tires i buy for my mtx3? also is there a offset i have to consider?

thanks
I am assuming that you are running foam tires. Use 26mm for the front and use 30mm for the rear.

First, you could just purchase Fast Brand of tires on the spoked wheels. The wheels are made by Mugen and work perfectly on the MTX-3. If you purchase another brand, most people will tell you to purchase 2 degree offset. I am going to say use the 0 degree. What I have actually found is that the 2 degrees make the car so wide, that you can't get it to a legal width for racing. The 0 degree wheels you just have to space out the wheels a little.

If using GQ tires, get the zero degree wheels... you can get them from competion rc or winners circle.

Other choice would be to use Fast tires. Get these from Ace Hobbies... right now the price is buy any 3 and get a 4th for free.

Other people will recommend other tires, these are the ones I have tried and would advise for a new guy with an MTX-3.

Another economical choice would be twister tires, but I have not run them. I am sure they would be fine as well. All of these are good quality race tires.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:06 AM   #15143
Tech Adept

thanks fish.

so is there handling difference between the 0 off set and 2mm offset? i asume 0 would be more twitchy steering.
BigBadJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 11:35 AM   #15144
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBadJabba
thanks fish.

so is there handling difference between the 0 off set and 2mm offset? i asume 0 would be more twitchy steering.
There would be a difference in handling if you do not adjust the width of your car accordingly.

For example:

When I run Fast tires on the mugen wheel (spoked, not dished) and I put my car on the setup board and set it up, I usually set the car width to 198-199 in the front, and 199-200 in the rear.

If I switch to GQ tires with the zero offset, the car gets about 1.5mm narrower, so you unscrew the pillow balls in order to get the car to the proper width. You of course also have to adjust the rear camber links and the front steering as well, which gets to be a pain.

Hope the above part answered your question.
Below is further clarification of my earlier post.
If you were instead to put on the GQ 2 degree offset, the car gets about 3 mm wider. The problem with them is even with the pillow balls all the way in the car is still to wide.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:22 PM   #15145
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Fisher
There would be a difference in handling if you do not adjust the width of your car accordingly.

For example:

When I run Fast tires on the mugen wheel (spoked, not dished) and I put my car on the setup board and set it up, I usually set the car width to 198-199 in the front, and 199-200 in the rear.

If I switch to GQ tires with the zero offset, the car gets about 1.5mm narrower, so you unscrew the pillow balls in order to get the car to the proper width. You of course also have to adjust the rear camber links and the front steering as well, which gets to be a pain.

Hope the above part answered your question.
Below is further clarification of my earlier post.
If you were instead to put on the GQ 2 degree offset, the car gets about 3 mm wider. The problem with them is even with the pillow balls all the way in the car is still to wide.
instead of unsrewing the pivot balls when running tires with 0 offset, put a 2mm spacer behing the pin and in front of the hub. also, if you ran 1 degree offset tires, you just need to add a 1mm spacer. hope this helps.
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:31 PM   #15146
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by joemugen
instead of unsrewing the pivot balls when running tires with 0 offset, put a 2mm spacer behing the pin and in front of the hub. also, if you ran 1 degree offset tires, you just need to add a 1mm spacer. hope this helps.
this will work for a quick fix. but i like fisher's idea better. putting spacers will make the wheel and hex contact patch smaller that may make the wheel break easily. just my opinion though
Old 05-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #15147
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Bandeira
Default Gears

Hello everybody....

Long time since my last post...

I'm having problems with my 52tgear...
1st: I do know how to set gear Mesh

I'm using 58t 1st gear...

When I get the 52t, it doesnt last a single qualifier, last time not even a couple of laps...
But When I use the 54t, no problems at all....

Maybe with a longer gear ratio the gear change punch is higher?
Anybody got any clues?
Bandeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 04:23 PM   #15148
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: Gears

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandeira
Hello everybody....

Long time since my last post...

I'm having problems with my 52tgear...
1st: I do know how to set gear Mesh

I'm using 58t 1st gear...

When I get the 52t, it doesnt last a single qualifier, last time not even a couple of laps...
But When I use the 54t, no problems at all....

Maybe with a longer gear ratio the gear change punch is higher?
Anybody got any clues?
What pinions do you have in your clutch??

I can see you have a difference of 6 teeth between spurs, and ideally you should have the same difference in teeth between clutch pinions.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:51 PM   #15149
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Bandeira

There is a difference in 5 teeth between the pinions...

But this difference is a must... The track I race has a 290~300ft straightway

Just something, beyond that, I don't remember for sure:
The A Ackerman gives me the most steering of all, doesnt it?
Bandeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 06:39 PM   #15150
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

on a track like that i run: 20 27 pinions and 60 52 spur