R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-04-2005, 10:56 PM   #15046
jez
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I heard that the negative diff acts like a oneway under power, whilst off power in has the same feel as a diff. I got one but never tried it yet....
jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:24 AM   #15047
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

If I remember correctly, the neg diff is like a solid axle on power and like a diff, off power.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:13 PM   #15048
Tech Apprentice

Default Mugen Clutch Shoe

What is the different between the black,grey,and red shoe. And which shoe is best for size: tight, meduim, open tracion: high, meduim, low

Thank you

Quietroit
Quietroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:37 AM   #15049
Tech Elite

The Negative Diff is just like a normal diff (uses the standard gears) except it also has a centrifugal clutch inside.

At slow speed, say, when arriving at a corner, it acts like a normal open diff using light oil. When coming out of a corner with speed rising, the diff starts to lock up like a solid axle.
Because of this variable action, it works fine on tight or open tracks.

Haven't tried it on the MTX-3 but used one with the old V-One. No special maintenance is required. We just used some thin grease on the gears for lubrication.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:08 AM   #15050
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Fisher
If I remember correctly, the neg diff is like a solid axle on power and like a diff, off power.
Yup many seem to say that but i can't seem to feel the difference between the neg diff and normal diff.

On top of that it's about 20grams or so heavier than stock diff!!

Might just go back to normal diff.

Sigh...What a waste of cash!
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:14 AM   #15051
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
The Negative Diff is just like a normal diff (uses the standard gears) except it also has a centrifugal clutch inside.

At slow speed, say, when arriving at a corner, it acts like a normal open diff using light oil. When coming out of a corner with speed rising, the diff starts to lock up like a solid axle.
Because of this variable action, it works fine on tight or open tracks.

Haven't tried it on the MTX-3 but used one with the old V-One. No special maintenance is required. We just used some thin grease on the gears for lubrication.

Thanks for the info...

Does it go by the normal diff oil selection in terms of weightage of does it have to be lighter than usual i.e. 10k on normal diff = 7k with neg diff?
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:33 AM   #15052
jez
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i think it should be the same diff oil as the ones you been using - to get the same off power characteristic.
But don't take my word for it...
jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:46 PM   #15053
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish

User lighter diff oil. Remember, with Neg Diff, you'd want to take full advantage of diff on cornering. If possible, don't use diff oil at oil. Instead, use Mugen diff, apply liberally on between each bevel gears. Voila!

Quote:
Originally posted by coldfusion
Thanks for the info...

Does it go by the normal diff oil selection in terms of weightage of does it have to be lighter than usual i.e. 10k on normal diff = 7k with neg diff?
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:22 PM   #15054
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Fisher
www.cefx.net

check the setup/tips section
Ok, checked the section and now am confused about what "gap" is and what "endplay" is. I guess I just pushed the clutch bell in as far as it would go set the calipers to zero and then "pulled" it out as far as I could. Just like the Mugen book showed. What the heck is the cefx trying to show/tell us?
Toster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:59 AM   #15055
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Toster
Ok, checked the section and now am confused about what "gap" is and what "endplay" is. I guess I just pushed the clutch bell in as far as it would go set the calipers to zero and then "pulled" it out as far as I could. Just like the Mugen book showed. What the heck is the cefx trying to show/tell us?
The article generally speaking suggest NOT to let the clutch easily touch endbell. It should have adequate gap ( 0.7mm ) so the clutch shoe don't touch the endbell at idle. We want to prevent glazing effect ( the clutch material melted to endbell ) which could prevent a good engine tuning.

The endplay is the gap between point A and B, it should have some "play" or gap. This endplay affect the clutch's initial contact in milisecond. You want the engine to rev up before the clucth totally grip or bite the endbell. The engine could die if the load is higher than engine's power at low rpm. Less shims give you harder punch and more shims give you softer punch.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 08:14 AM   #15056
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

If you didn't understand what the previous poster said:

Cefx wants you to setup the clutch so when everything is assembled, if you push the clutchbell towards the clutch, the clutch bell will not rub on the clutch. You will need a lot of shims, probably more than what came with your kit. I know the manual picture shows 2-3, but it will take more (or a thick shim) to keep the clutch bell from dragging on the clutch.

Either way, the gap is the distance between the clutch bell and the clutch when you push the clutch bell towards the clutch shoe.

As kinda stated, the way you set this is by putting shims between the clutch spring adjusting nut, and the inside clutch bearing.

Endplay is the distance that the clutch bell can move. When you assemble everything, the clutch bell will have space that it can move in and out (towards and away) from the clutch shoe. This space is adjusted by the spacers that are placed on the outside of the clutch on the thrust bearing. You add shims to decrease endplay and subtract them to increase endplay.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:19 AM   #15057
Tech Adept

OK, now I see!
Toster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 09:27 AM   #15058
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by coldfusion
Thanks for the info...

No, don't use a heavy oil. It's as eddiethefish says . . . just use something to lubricate the gears. We used a light grease but you could use, say, 5K or 7K silicon oil if you like. I would suggest not over 10K.

If you use something like 30K or 50K, you will defeat the ability for the diff to work in slow tight corners.

The Neg. Diff's strong point is it's adaptability/versatility provided by the clutch.

It is a tad heavier than a stock diff, and certainly more expensive, but you don't need to keep three of them in your pit box and change them out for different tracks.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:37 PM   #15059
TAW
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TAW
Default Loose on Power only when turning right

My MTX-3 has developed a loose condition on power but only when turning to the right. this seems to have happened afer a nasty crash a few weeks ago. I have gone though and checked all the obvious causes. I did find that the radio plate was cracked and the aluminium radio tray support was bent. I replaced those with new ones. I have the 4mm chassis and it does not seem bent. I did not take it off the car but on a flat surface while attached to the care it seems straight. Put it on the tweak station and it seems fine. This is only when turning right, basically if I give it gas it spins out. To the left I can hammer the throttle all day and it never breaks loose. I am a little stumped. any suggestions?

Thanks
TAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 07:35 PM   #15060
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Check your linkages and pivot balls.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote