R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   what servo's to run in my GT8 Nitro? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/766383-what-servos-run-my-gt8-nitro.html)

British Menace 10-21-2013 09:30 AM

what servo's to run in my GT8 Nitro?

Hi all GT nitro racers.
Looking at putting the electronics in my new GT and not sure what to go with??
I know there's a dozen good brands out there but I guess I'm not really sure what I need as far as specs ..... Torque. Speed etc.
I will be running it from my Airtronics M11 so I won't have high voltage available.

What amount of torque and speed should I be looking for on steering and brakes/ throttle?

Thanks for any help you can give.
By the way. I'm going to be running the Team C car.

Regards.........
BM

tonylunatic 10-21-2013 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by British Menace (Post 12651383)
Hi all GT nitro racers.
I know there's a dozen good brands out there but I guess I'm not really sure what I need as far as specs ..... Torque. Speed etc.
I will be running it from my Airtronics M11 so I won't have high voltage available.

What amount of torque and speed should I be looking for on steering and brakes/ throttle?

Regards.........
BM

First let me "STATE" I am not Sponsored or a Dealer of RADIOPOST products.

I have been in RC for almost 20yrs now and with good faith can say RadioPost servos are the best I have ever used.

For GT I have been running the "GREEN" for steering and throttle/brake for the last 3yrs and have had no issue with them.

Two things that stood out to me was:

Only company to state they have 32bit resolution boards. This allows for faster processing of signals between Servo & RX and allows precise servo settings to be used to full advantage. (Your radio only handles signals between Radio & RX)

Only company to state they use Robotic Actuators, these actuators are the same design used in giant Robotic arms in industrial manufacturers plants. (they are designed to be used in exact repetitive motions for long periods of time and be durable)

All RadioPost servos can be used at 4.8-8.4volts.

So you can you use with Ni-mh or Lipo batteries without any issues.
Only thing is the voltage input does effect speed and torque, but that is in any servo.

I recommend:
"GREENS" for any 1/8 application Nitro or Electric.
"REDS" for extreme high torque applications.
"Blues" for any 1/10 application Nitro or Electric.

They just released a NEW Signature Series "BLACK"
These offer the same speed as Greens but with more torque then the Reds.

I just ordered Blues from my new 1/10 Nitro TC :)

British Menace 10-21-2013 12:22 PM

Really .... thanks Tony. Good info' to know.

I do actually have a red Radiopost servo lying around somewhere ..... may have to get its Green brother then.
Didn't know about all those specs you mentioned.

Thanks again Tony

BM

Yb2fast 10-21-2013 12:55 PM

Hi all GT nitro racers.

Regards.........
BM

I use the older JR racing Z9100S for steering and throttle...specs are .06 sec at 6V with 180 OZ torque.... These were made in Japan and before Horizon Hobby took them over !!! Blindingly fast and accurate and I use them on a Life pack running 6.6 volts with no issues except more speed and torque !! lol...

British Menace 10-22-2013 05:02 AM

Back in the day ..... as they say. In the 90's or so. I used to really like JR equipment.
They had a really good reputation.
You don't really hear much from them now.
Last I heard was they brought out these "super Torque" servo's, red in colour ...... but that was a while ago now too.

Do you think a servo with over 200oz of torque should be used for both steering and brake/throttle in these GT cars?

Some of these new Protek servo's look really good in the stats .....
Does anyone run them in their GT cars? .....

Regards
BM

azeroth 10-22-2013 07:23 AM

check what the 1/8 buggy guys are running they have the same servo requirements but yes 200 works in my gtp

Yb2fast 10-22-2013 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by British Menace (Post 12654472)
Back in the day ..... as they say. In the 90's or so. I used to really like JR equipment.
They had a really good reputation.
You don't really hear much from them now.
Last I heard was they brought out these "super Torque" servo's, red in colour ...... but that was a while ago now too.

Do you think a servo with over 200oz of torque should be used for both steering and brake/throttle in these GT cars?

Some of these new Protek servo's look really good in the stats .....
Does anyone run them in their GT cars? .....

Regards
BM

The Z9100s came out in 2008 and is still for sale on Horizon Hobbies site...not cheap by no means at $139...but I run them in my 2 GT8 cars..very accurate and super fast = easier car to drive.. here is the link >http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/JRPSZ9100S

British Menace 10-22-2013 11:33 AM

Cool ...

Thank you for the link. I'll check them out.

Regards
BM

C-Trickle 10-22-2013 01:02 PM

I had fantastic luck with Savox servo's. High Voltage and non high voltage. I've been running the 1268 for steering and the 1267 for throttle with a 2S receiver pack. Realistically though you could run the 1267 for both. Awesome quality with an easy to work with company should something go wrong.

Grenade10 10-22-2013 05:39 PM

I'm now running High Torque on both steering and throttle. Also went to High Voltage, so I have no issues with 60min mains, lipo 2700ma. Went to high torque on steering to work 40's on the front, found better brakes when I made the same change.

So I'm running Futaba with a 320 rating. Not inexpensive but they work.

Evo 13 10-22-2013 06:47 PM

Hi all GT nitro racers.

Regards.........
BM

Hey man, in my Cobra GT, I run futaba BLS157 HV 472 oz torque @ 12.5 sec (adjusted for 6.6 life battery) for steering (immense power) and futaba s9352 HV 272 oz torque @ 0.07 sec for throttle/brake for throttle/brakes (Speed). This set up made my car super responsive.

blis 10-23-2013 12:48 AM

For value and long term club use, ACE RC DS1015 is always good to have around. - Rock solid reliability, tough as nails, fast and strong at not so crazy pricing under $100USD, a little heavy for 1/10th, but I dearly regret giving them away.

h

British Menace 10-23-2013 05:12 AM

Hey blis ....

You gave them away??
Can I come race with you? .... :p

Seriously though. Good to hear a "Not so expensive" servo getting the job done!

BM

British Menace 10-23-2013 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Evo 13 (Post 12656881)
Hey man, in my Cobra GT, I run futaba BLS157 HV 472 oz torque @ 12.5 sec (adjusted for 6.6 life battery) for steering (immense power) and futaba s9352 HV 272 oz torque @ 0.07 sec for throttle/brake for throttle/brakes (Speed). This set up made my car super responsive.

Hey Evo13

Thanks for the reply and the info' on those Futaba servo's of yours.
Interesting to see how when drivers upgrade to very high torque servo's for their steering they have improved responce from their cars.

472oz!! .... wow. If you make a mystake with that kind of power setting your endpoints etc.... you could actually break s*&$ .... stuff ;)

BM

British Menace 10-23-2013 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by C-Trickle (Post 12655768)
I had fantastic luck with Savox servo's. High Voltage and non high voltage. I've been running the 1268 for steering and the 1267 for throttle with a 2S receiver pack. Realistically though you could run the 1267 for both. Awesome quality with an easy to work with company should something go wrong.

I like Savox servo's too. I've run them alot on my 1/10th TC without any issues.
I see alot are having success going to higher and higher torque servo's especially on the steering.

With the relatively high weight of the GT8 Nitro cars and drivers pushing them harder and harder I can see why, but where will it top out?
How much torque is enough?
Evo13 felt better responce from his car with a 472oz torque servo!!
Sounds extreme ..... but it works.

I figured 200 - 250oz for steering should be enough. But now not so sure.

Thanks everyone for the reply's. Seams alot have found going to high voltage is the way to go. My M11 with FHSS-2 just doesn't support that. :-(
Could feasably go to a LIFE battery?

Rgards,
BM