R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-30-2005, 08:59 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Default floating body mount

On the Kyosho V-ONE-RR Evo, has any one tried cutting the floating body mount so that touring cars will fit better? I was thinking about doing this but I wanted to see id some one has done this before.
Thanks
jhigga15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
Tech Addict

sorry..."If some one has done this before...
Old 06-30-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
Tech Master

You don't want to do that. The floating body mount is an advantage. The down force goes directly into the hubs instead of compressing the rear suspension.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Word has it that the floating body mount only works for Lola type bodies. For TC bodies it is considered useless, which may explain why the new RRR doesn't use it all in conjunction with the new Mazda body.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
Tech Addict

I trimmed of the parts where the lola body would sit...the body fits good...hopefully the car will drive ok, I think that it will...
Thanks
Old 07-04-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Depending on what you want and why. I run a touring car body, so I cut my floating body. With Lola cars, especially 1/8th, there is plenty of downforce from the body, so there is no need to have the body help push the rear suspension and gain traction. Since the TC bodies don't work that way, it is better to use a non-floating rear end. I took off the side links and made the float solid, its better that way unless you want to run the Lola body.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:50 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Bandeira

In the old Impact 1/10 235mm days, The floating body mount used to create a bobble inside the body when it hit a bump... Trapping the air inside the rear bumper and boot lid... Like creating a Parachute...
Bandeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:46 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edseb
Depending on what you want and why. I run a touring car body, so I cut my floating body. With Lola cars, especially 1/8th, there is plenty of downforce from the body, so there is no need to have the body help push the rear suspension and gain traction. Since the TC bodies don't work that way, it is better to use a non-floating rear end. I took off the side links and made the float solid, its better that way unless you want to run the Lola body.
I just do not see why every body says that this does not work with a sedan. down force is down force, hey you do noy have as much that you would with the lola body but you still are putting were you need it, at the rear wheels. I think every body is gettting mechanical grip and areo grip mixed up. with this set you are not able to stand the rear shocks up as far as you would with a standard shock tower. I have run both and like the floating set over the standard never seam to have problem with traction at the track and you never see me getting loose in the high speed corners and the car works just as wellin the high mechanic grip corners as well, its all in set up, found that I have to run stiffer all the way around than I would with a standard rear shock tower.
drfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:23 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Yeah, but you kind of have it backwards. Downforce is downforce, but with the floating you are actually taking away downforce, since it "floats" instead of transferring the wind force to the suspension. With the Lola body, the entire body forces the entire car down so it isn't as necessary; that's why 1/8th cars float the body. In 1/10th the RR was designed to be run as a lola body set up. With the RR evo, it is designed to be run with a TC body, and that's why you need a direct link with the rear wing so that traction increases with wind in the rear.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:05 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Edsed, you have it backwards. With FBM, you're not taking downforce away, you're aplying it directly to the tires, like if you pushed the tires down with your hands. The reason it "floats" is so that the body stays leveled with the track, in other words, it wont follow the suspension action.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:06 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

I raced a RR and and the FBM was a BIG disadvantage when using sedan bodies, the bodymount made the suspension "lock up" in corners and then traction roll as a result. Just by mounting a Impact body mount to the rear bulkhead i gained several hundreds of a second per lap. More RR owners i know got the same result.
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:11 AM   #12

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Its so you can have wicked downforce without the rear suspension getting stuck down guys. Thats the reason for having a floating mount rear. For extreme downforce without hampering the suspensions movement.

As for TC it still goes fast. You will get downforce and it will leave the suspension alone. If this is good for you all depends on the setup.

But when you run lola rear downforce will be higher so its a must have at that point. With the TC you could try removing it. I wouldnt if your car comes with it.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx
I raced a RR and and the FBM was a BIG disadvantage when using sedan bodies, the bodymount made the suspension "lock up" in corners and then traction roll as a result. Just by mounting a Impact body mount to the rear bulkhead i gained several hundreds of a second per lap. More RR owners i know got the same result.
Well thats a new one for me, I run the same up and down travel with what ever system I run, did some testing after reading your post, installed both systems and checked for binding, did not seem to be a problem, how much camber are you running and how much up travel do you have in the rear?
drfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:10 PM   #14
Tech Elite

The way I wrote it may be confusing, but there is a reason why Lola bodies run a floating mount and TCs do not. If you are going to run a Lola body on TC, then stick with it, but for TC you need the force applied differently. The floating body is not new, if it worked good on TCs all the pros would use it. Think about it.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:52 PM   #15

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by edseb
The way I wrote it may be confusing, but there is a reason why Lola bodies run a floating mount and TCs do not. If you are going to run a Lola body on TC, then stick with it, but for TC you need the force applied differently. The floating body is not new, if it worked good on TCs all the pros would use it. Think about it.
Its just not needed as there isnt enough downforce on the rear or speed alltogether for that matter. So it might be looked at as extra weight, but im just guessing. Also TC's arent known for being as fast until just lately they have really been picking up speed and basically becoming miniature 1/8scale pro cars.

The reason why you probably dont associate floating rears with TC cars. But the mechanics are there. The downforce is applied to the wheel instead of the suspension.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote