R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-07-2005, 06:11 PM   #16
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Its just not needed as there isnt enough downforce on the rear or speed alltogether for that matter. So it might be looked at as extra weight, but im just guessing. Also TC's arent known for being as fast until just lately they have really been picking up speed and basically becoming miniature 1/8scale pro cars.

The reason why you probably dont associate floating rears with TC cars. But the mechanics are there. The downforce is applied to the wheel instead of the suspension.
well there only one way to settle this, time to call nasa and see if we can use there wind tunnel.
drfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #17

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfritz
well there only one way to settle this, time to call nasa and see if we can use there wind tunnel.
Well im sure do some better though without. Its just setup sometimes...but if speeds are high , and a lola body is on. A floating mount would be best.

I just know it keeps the suspension in working order while the car can feed the downforce to the tires. I cant say if its worth it on a TC though.

I would say if its there , dont bother. If it drives good , if your winning. Then as the saying goes if its not broke , dont fix it.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 07-07-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:55 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Well im sure do better though without. Its just setup sometimes...but if speeds are high , and a lola body is on. A floating mount would be best.

I just know it keeps the suspension in working order while the car can feed the downforce to the tires. I cant say if its worth it on a TC though.

I would say if its there , dont bother. If it drives good , if your winning. Then as the saying goes if its not broke , dont fix it.
I'll second that.
drfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:15 PM   #19
Tech Master

The serpent guys used to run the floating body mount with TC bodies all the time. The impulse could use the impact parts to do it. If you run on a high speed track, it will help more. If you don't think a TC body doesn't have much rear down force, try removing your rear wing and taking it out on the track. Those that are having problems with the floating mount are probably having other problems. I could see, however, that having the floating mount can change the front/rear grip at high speed causing the problems.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #20

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
The serpent guys used to run the floating body mount with TC bodies all the time. The impulse could use the impact parts to do it. If you run on a high speed track, it will help more. If you don't think a TC body doesn't have much rear down force, try removing your rear wing and taking it out on the track. Those that are having problems with the floating mount are probably having other problems. I could see, however, that having the floating mount can change the front/rear grip at high speed causing the problems.
Yeah TC's do get a lot of downforce going. I run a porsche body with the sport wing. It almost immediatly makes my car a drift car.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:00 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edseb
The way I wrote it may be confusing, but there is a reason why Lola bodies run a floating mount and TCs do not. If you are going to run a Lola body on TC, then stick with it, but for TC you need the force applied differently. The floating body is not new, if it worked good on TCs all the pros would use it. Think about it.

i'm not sure but i think floating body mounts are illegal for sedans and thats why pro's don't use it.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:48 AM   #22
Tech Adept

One other aspect of the floating rear mount is the unsprung weight that it adds. ( body resting on the wheels via the hubs )

If the track is very smooth it should give the desired result ( more grip )

If the track is bumpy then it will not work as well because the shocks are trying to control the wheels AND the shell from bouncing.

By the time you have the correct damping to restrain the body - the car will be too stiff to give good grip.

On parking lots we sometimes mount the lola shells on saloon mounts to get better grip if it is bumpy.
Bob The Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 03:21 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Default Tunnel???

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfritz
A wind Tunnel ??? Now why didn't I think of that
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 08:54 AM   #24
Tech Elite

FBM diffinately increases rear traction at speed, even with TC body! That may not be a good thing for your car however. Depends on how your car handles in general. I tried my LD3 both ways. For the most part I liked it better without the FBM, it took away too much steering to suit me. I could compensate by making changes to the set-up (shocks, sway bars, etc.) but then the car was a bit too loose at lower speeds, when downforce is less of a player. I also have a v-one RR evo & it works great with the FBM with one-way front.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote