R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-05-2005, 03:57 PM   #121
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonik

in the mean time , any idea's as how to get this out ?
heat it up to 270-290 F and push it from the bottom. if you have acces to Lathe machine-you can make some extractor tool. if you have, let me know and I will give you the drawings.
Edward
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:16 PM   #122
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to ROBBIE C Send a message via Yahoo to ROBBIE C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Gun 777
heat it up to 270-290 F and push it from the bottom. if you have acces to Lathe machine-you can make some extractor tool. if you have, let me know and I will give you the drawings.
Edward
Man......what happened here?
ROBBIE C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:31 PM   #123
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to sonik

dont have a lathe unfortunately ,
what could i use to push it from the bottom ? the only way to get to it, is from the backplate, and the piston/conrod etc are in the way and wont comeout without the sleeve/liner out of the way,
sonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:29 PM   #124
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Sonik dude ..... how come your JP FX is silver body and mine is black ??
It's the stock version, with a blue-white instead of black box. I believe it has the same crankshaft modification but without the sleeve porting. On the website it stated that the stock version also comes with HardBlack Coating. When I opened, Its looks more like dark grey than black.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #125
Tech Apprentice

i finally managed to get the broken sleeve out , here are the bits , what do you guy's think ?
will i be able to clean the block ?
can the crank be saved ?

Old 07-05-2005, 07:43 PM   #126
Tech Initiate

I wouldn't even waste the money bro. I would just knuckle up and get a new engine. It wouldn't be worth the hassle to me. Just my humble opinion. Good luck
espo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:52 PM   #127
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo16
I wouldn't even waste the money bro. I would just knuckle up and get a new engine. It wouldn't be worth the hassle to me. Just my humble opinion. Good luck
i'm feeling ya bro, but what a waste , its only seen 2 hours of runing at that , didnt even get to feel the engine moving lol. it's not even run/broken in yet
thats why its killing me to just throw it away ...
Old 07-05-2005, 08:28 PM   #128
Tech Elite

Sonik, no offense. But the best way right now is to but a new one.
Piyo Piyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:26 PM   #129
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dodo

i'm feeling u man... but i agree with the others, i think by getting a new one you will save money and save your time.

true, it just ran for 2 hours or so, and you didn't get to see it perform, but like you said at least you can learn something from it.

except if you want to learn how to restore it though

no offense, anyway it's just my 2 cents, decision is yours.
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:19 AM   #130
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo
i'm feeling u man... but i agree with the others, i think by getting a new one you will save money and save your time.

true, it just ran for 2 hours or so, and you didn't get to see it perform, but like you said at least you can learn something from it.

except if you want to learn how to restore it though

no offense, anyway it's just my 2 cents, decision is yours.
r you sure you didn't put that crank in salty water for3 weeks?

man i have never seen anything like that. that case is so rusted!

honestly, send it back to JP or send JP a email. better yet contact the people that make your fuel and tell them WITH PICTURES what their top quality fuel did to your motor, and suggest a refund of the cost of the motor. it is not your fault dude.
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:49 AM   #131
Tech Regular

Are we sure that this is rust? Last time I checked Aluminum doesn't rust...have you tried a chrome polish paste with a dremel (with a cloth adapter)?

Try soaking it in Kerosene for a while (Not that long..like 5 min), then rinse in Methyl Hydrate (brushing the residue off at each stage). Then try the chrome polish (I use Blue Magic) with a dremel at medium speed. Apply a small amount to the crank and also the cloth adapter.

Give it a shot...what do you have to loose? Try the crank first as this is the easiest part to attempt with.

John
jrabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:32 AM   #132
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomWorldOrder
r you sure you didn't put that crank in salty water for3 weeks?

man i have never seen anything like that. that case is so rusted!

honestly, send it back to JP or send JP a email. better yet contact the people that make your fuel and tell them WITH PICTURES what their top quality fuel did to your motor, and suggest a refund of the cost of the motor. it is not your fault dude.

now thats not a bad idea , had a look for odonnel website but cant find it ?
anyone know the site ?

found this but link dont work !! www.odonnellracing.com/
Old 07-06-2005, 08:00 AM   #133
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbito
Are we sure that this is rust? Last time I checked Aluminum doesn't rust...have you tried a chrome polish paste with a dremel (with a cloth adapter)?

Try soaking it in Kerosene for a while (Not that long..like 5 min), then rinse in Methyl Hydrate (brushing the residue off at each stage). Then try the chrome polish (I use Blue Magic) with a dremel at medium speed. Apply a small amount to the crank and also the cloth adapter.

Give it a shot...what do you have to loose? Try the crank first as this is the easiest part to attempt with.

John
exactly what i am thinking , what have i to lose !!
gonna give the cleaning a try ,
whats methyl hydrate ?
and when you say cloth adapter you mean the white soft bit ?
Old 07-06-2005, 08:29 AM   #134
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbito

John
hey John- it's Corey from Hamilton last weekend.

Aluminum can kinda rust- it's called galvanic corrosion. two dis-similiar metals in contact with a conductive liquid is all you need. Many factors to consider, but it can happen as in this case. I would say it was NOT fuel induced, but moisture absorbed by the fuel left in the engine along with a high humidity environment for storage of the engine.

http://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:15 AM   #135
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

almost all the parts on your picture can be polished and clean..................except, the crankcase, espeically the internal, tried the above mentioned methrod, but I really don't see how you can clean up the internal of the crank case.......

In USA, someone can get millions because the McDonald's hot coffee was too hot.............anything is possible, you have nothing to lose now, send pictures to the fuel company, the after run oil company, JP, Mugen.....you will never know, they might send you a cheaper version of JP and do a study of this engine and find out how could that be possible to have rust like that in 3 days...
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote