R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-20-2005, 12:26 PM   #46
Tech Regular

ahhh....it didn`t occure to me about single cell being only 1.2volts.

how silly of me.

Thanks goodness i didn`t get the wiring wrong in the first place. was a lucky guess. black just seems so.. negative.

Good idea. maybe i`ll try getting a flash light bulb for it. it`ll save alot instead of getting a discharge tray.

5000mah is hell of alot. i`m on 3300 and i already feel it goes a long way.

Thanks alot guys!

Cheerzzzz!!!!!
dct147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:58 AM   #47
Tech Regular

Location: The Milkyway/Planet Earth/Europe/Sweden/Skåne/Malmö

In my 3PK a have a 700 mAh 8-cell pack Ni-cd, do I need to discharge it anymore after the radio says "low battery"? Or should I use a 8-cell 2000 mAh Ni-Mh pack instead?
New_Toasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:47 AM   #48
Tech Regular

Use the 2000mah nimh pack.

NiCDs do have a memory, so discharging them is important, but why use a 750 when you can use a 2000 which does not have a memory.
MartynD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:55 AM   #49
Tech Regular

OK, thanks for the advice!

Since the 2000 mAh are normal chargeable aa-cells I'll just have to get a 8-cell dry-cell batteryholder for them
Old 07-21-2005, 09:55 AM   #50
Tech Regular

Is there a possibility I create my own TX or RX battery pack?

i`m able to get my local hardware shop to create 1 with equalivant voltage but with higher mah.

i see it as a possibility. or is it not advisable?

If i do a larger capacity of voltage, like for eg, an 8 cell for my RX pack 8.4V, will it overkill on the voltage burning my receiver or servos?
Old 07-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #51
Tech Master

dct147

Having the packs made for you is fine. As long as the finished package fits where you need it to. For the receiver battery, stick to 5 cell 6.0 volts. You can damage some electronics with too much voltage. With the higher capacity batteries out there you shouldn't have a problem with run time. You can also get a spare pack and swap out if you are an rc madman and run that much.

For the transmitter though, you can pop in the 8 cells that the radio normally holds or you can add an additional cell to boost the voltage back up to 12 volts. I know that with Futaba, you can remove the battery tray and install a 4-4-1 configured battery. See diagram below.

___
||||
||||
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:20 AM   #52
Tech Regular

Rapid Roy,

Lol i like the way u put it. RC madman. haha.

yeah i`m kinda that, as i seldom get to play, everytime i play, i make up for loss time.

Thanks for the diagram.

i`m actually more worried for my Rx batts i`ve got a whole lot of rechargables for my tx. the only rx packs that are available here are only 1100mahs. there`s a shop selling packs at 1400mahs, but at a real ridiculous price. moreover, my rx pack is taped to my car, changing them would be very trobulesome.

That`s y i`m always worried about charging them, 1100mah isn`t alot of runtime i pressume, i don`t want to cut my practice time short.

i might just try doing up a flat pack of 6v 2500mah

yeah! i`ll try that. has anyone done that so far?
Old 07-21-2005, 11:33 AM   #53

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Ive got 1200's for the RX. They seem fine. I also have the 1400 ofna pack , I think the batteries say mds on them or something. This might be the same for you.

Also yeah my 1400 pack was pretty costly. I never really used the pack either so im not sure if it was worth the extra cost.

As for making your own lots of people do it. Just look at what configurations will work. Some people work with AA or AAA to make them even lighter weight.

Im sure someone can help you with the specifics as I havent made my own yet but plan too very soon.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #54
Tech Regular

Sounds very fair and very good.

Nothing`s gonna stop me now.

Thanks for the info.

Cheerzzzzz!!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:53 PM   #55
Tech Regular

When I needed RX batteries for my 710 I just went to the swedish electronicsstore "Kjell and company", which is pretty much like Radioshack, where I bought 5 AAA cells with solder-ears and soldered them together in the 710 L-shape and put some shrinkwrap around. Works flawless now when I changed a cell that were bad.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:43 PM   #56
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dct147
Rapid Roy,

Lol i like the way u put it. RC madman. haha.

yeah i`m kinda that, as i seldom get to play, everytime i play, i make up for loss time.

Thanks for the diagram.

i`m actually more worried for my Rx batts i`ve got a whole lot of rechargables for my tx. the only rx packs that are available here are only 1100mahs. there`s a shop selling packs at 1400mahs, but at a real ridiculous price. moreover, my rx pack is taped to my car, changing them would be very trobulesome.

That`s y i`m always worried about charging them, 1100mah isn`t alot of runtime i pressume, i don`t want to cut my practice time short.

i might just try doing up a flat pack of 6v 2500mah

yeah! i`ll try that. has anyone done that so far?

I use 1100 mah RX batteries and can run all day on one charge. Now I use standard servo's not digital so they don't use a lot of power, but I've run almost quart of fuel in one day without recharging.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:34 PM   #57
Tech Regular

from what i`ve heard, 1100mah is actually for a practice day.

but i`ll just have a peace of mind knowing i`ve a super lasting batt pack.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:36 AM   #58
Tech Regular

I built my own RX pack as the local shops didn't carry an assembled one to fit my Mongoose.

5 AAA nimh's, a connector, shrink wrap, a piece of small piano wire or brass wire, i dunno what its made of but the guy at the hobby shop recommended it. Soldered it all together, wrapped it, works great, and cheaper than buying an assembled pack. I just charge it with my APS or Pulsar at .8 A (800mah)
MartynD is offline   Reply With Quote