R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-28-2005, 07:32 AM   #1
Tech Master

Default Downturn in Members

Hi

Is it just me or do i feel there has been a general downturn in the number of people doing turing car racing? I see a number of clubs in the UK with lower membership numbers. This may be due to the increase of popularity of offrad racing or just due to a lack of exposure of the sport to the general public.

How are other clubs in the world doing? What can we do in the UK to increase numbers?

Thanks

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:48 AM   #2
Jye
Tech Regular

We dont have any on road clubs here in new orleans. Off-road dominates :/
Jye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:48 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Here in Victoria, Australia most clubs have seen numbers drop, I think that is the trend for the rest of the country.

DC
OZDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:23 AM   #4
Tech Addict

We have definitely seen a drop in numbers here in New Zealand as well
Old 06-29-2005, 12:27 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

I race in Las Vegas, NV USA and I would say there are between 5-10 offroad racers for every on road racer.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:59 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to redsand

the exact same thing is happening in my town too.
onroad's dying faster than a speeding bullet.
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:35 AM   #7
Tech Addict

I think it prob has something to do with the high cost and the economy at the moment maybe...!!

In the UK a full racing equipment setup can cost 1000 ++++ this puts off some people ...!
acutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:35 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutts
I think it prob has something to do with the high cost and the economy at the moment maybe...!!

In the UK a full racing equipment setup can cost 1000 ++++ this puts off some people ...!
I cant see that being the case. In fact the cost have come down this year compared to last year. I think people have to think about club racing as well as doing the nationals

Cheers

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
Old 06-29-2005, 12:58 PM   #9
Jye
Tech Regular

I have to say the cost of a competiton car isnt exactly cheap. Sure you dont have to get a mtx 3 or v one rrr but not too many other cars can compete with them and just those kits run in the 450 range.
Jye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:17 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default dOWNTURN

A part of this equation is the extreme lack of support by manufacurers of these products. They are quite happy to come out with a new kit every 6 months in the same class pump it up then abandon parts support on a chassis that is old-old technology. This chassis may be less than 2 years old. TC racing to me has evolved into forcing people to buy new chassis not to improve their racing but to maintain parts support for the chassis they have.
To me, other than the chassis, the technology of electric motors, speed controls, servos, radio equipment, charging equipment, has not changed that much affecting the speed of the sport racer. Facts be known, even the chassis changes have not really made the speed enhancements that you might expect. Hence, the oversupply of all of these components has forced manfuacturers to force racers to buy more equipment than they need to go faster since hte industry has created a false sense of growth in a a market where it really appears that the number of active people in Rc racing is declining faster than they could have imagined.
People thought RTR kits would sell more product. It did, for a while, but it did not create new racers. The problem seems to be that something less than 10% of all RC owners actually race in even club races.
There are alot of factors, but bottom line, the group is not growing for now.
todd8603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:35 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Cost is the problem...I have a few friends whit RTR cars, I try to get to race and they won't do it...They complain about the cost of my car...
jhigga15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:13 AM   #12
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I think it's the cost of a competitive engine nowadays thats killing the touring car class. People who were willing to fork over the cash in the beginning are starting to see the light now, and new blood aren't even considering it because they(or their parents) can't afford it or arent willing to fund it.

Lets see.....spend close to $300 for a .12 on-road engine for my touring car just to stay competitive, or spend $120 or less for an competitive off-road engine for my stadium truck for just as much fun, or even spend only $400+ for a fast and fun COMPLETE RTR monster truck. Serpent's lower cost Mega engines are a step in the right direction but it's still hard when the pricey Novarossi based engines are the most sought after.

IMHO, I think foam tires(and the required equipment & knowledge) had a hand at it also.

Remember Nitro TC's popularity back in the beginning with the rubber tires and $100 engines? It's growth was phenominal!

I love on-road racing more than I do off-road, but if the cost trend continues in Nitro TC, i'll be coming home dusty and dirty on sundays a lot more often.

BTW, The only other thing I can think of is the higher heat during summer(heat reflected/radiated off the asphalt, etc..) are turning people off. It sure gets HOT here in Hawaii even under a tent in the middle of a parking lot.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:06 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I agree about the engines, the have become a lot more expensive. About the foam tires, you can get a set for less than a set of rubbers nowadays. And they last longer too.

I do believe that the economy is playing a role, at least in the USA. Even more than the economy, its prolly the price of gas, people are more reluctant to travel to tracks because of the prive of gas.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:19 AM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREAKAH
I think it's the cost of a competitive engine nowadays thats killing the touring car class. People who were willing to fork over the cash in the beginning are starting to see the light now, and new blood aren't even considering it because they(or their parents) can't afford it or arent willing to fund it.

Lets see.....spend close to $300 for a .12 on-road engine for my touring car just to stay competitive, or spend $120 or less for an competitive off-road engine for my stadium truck for just as much fun, or even spend only $400+ for a fast and fun COMPLETE RTR monster truck. Serpent's lower cost Mega engines are a step in the right direction but it's still hard when the pricey Novarossi based engines are the most sought after.

IMHO, I think foam tires(and the required equipment & knowledge) had a hand at it also.

Remember Nitro TC's popularity back in the beginning with the rubber tires and $100 engines? It's growth was phenominal!

I love on-road racing more than I do off-road, but if the cost trend continues in Nitro TC, i'll be coming home dusty and dirty on sundays a lot more often.

BTW, The only other thing I can think of is the higher heat during summer(heat reflected/radiated off the asphalt, etc..) are turning people off. It sure gets HOT here in Hawaii even under a tent in the middle of a parking lot.
Engines are much less expensive this year than last and so are tyres. The growth of the offroad section is the main problem. People are will to spend $600 on an offraod car and 300 on an offroad engine here so there is no lack of money in the sport

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
Old 07-02-2005, 10:23 AM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude
I agree about the engines, the have become a lot more expensive. About the foam tires, you can get a set for less than a set of rubbers nowadays. And they last longer too.

I do believe that the economy is playing a role, at least in the USA. Even more than the economy, its prolly the price of gas, people are more reluctant to travel to tracks because of the prive of gas.

HAHA you want to try living here in the UK where the price of "Gas" is $7.50 a gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My "local" club is 1 hr 10 mins away and nationals can be a 3 hr drive one way

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance